Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2002 Shiver this evening and the steerer tube is 8 inches long. I have a direct mount stem and am trying to figure out how to install it properly but am lost. I have no problem installing a regular stem (slide it over the steerer tube, shim it properly with spacers, put on the headset top cap, and tighten it down) but have never done a direct mount before. Do I use the top cap to adjust the headset just like on a normal stem? Many thanks to anybody with input as I am totally lost.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah you just throw spacers on it and tighten it up like you would a bike with a normal stem. The tighten down all the pinch bolts on the fork.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so do the spacers all go beneath the crown and then the top cap directly into the crown?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I'll have to do it later. The steerer tube needs to be cut to accomodate the stem. I don't have time with my work schedule so I'll have to take it into the shop on Monday (I also don't have enough spacers). But anyway, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I ended up just taking a bit of time this morning to do it myself and it is all good. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts