Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
mrpercussive said:
Anyone got the service guide for a Dropoff Triple??? Or know how to remove the damper from the leg? I'm wanting to mod the damper and put the 3 ball bearings on the washer... anyone got experience pls chip in... thanx...
Damper removal isn't a big deal. You'll need an oil pan, a ground down 12mm deep socket (ground down on the outside so it fits in the recess of the bottom of the leg) and a 26mm socket to undo the top cap. If there is any air preload, release it, then undo the foot nut with the 12mm socket. Lightly tap the nut with a rubber mallet and have an oil pan ready underneath as the oil will flow out of it. Once the oil flow tapers off, take a 26mm socket and undo the top cap. You may need to remove a knob on top, typically it is a 2.5mm allen. Once you undo the top cap, you can remove the damper.

When you reassemble, attach the footnut first, then compress the fork and pour in the correct amount of oil (marzocchi has an oil table on their website) into the leg and close up the top cap and reinstall the knob.

Here's a link to a tech manual. Not sure which year you have, I'm guessing it is fairly recent.

05 manual: http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/down...o=usa-mtb&Campo=ManualeInglese&IDOggetto=8370
06 manual: http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/down...=usa-mtb&Campo=ManualeInglese&IDOggetto=28114

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
mrpercussive said:
i have the manual... but i couldnt find the service guide... will i need to replace the oil if i take the damper out?
Yea, you will. You could keep the oil that flows out and pour it back in, but only if it is clean, and that is highly doubtful.

_MK

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
May want to complete the break in unless you don't mind changing th oil twice - fluid gets funky during break-in. I recall the mod you mention allows for more oil flow on the SSV damper. I thnik Marzocchi went to SSVF which uses a spring to better control damping. I have also heard of drilling the ports for a little more oil flow. I had a few SSV forks apart for modding but just decided that for the work the mod's would probably be minimal. Pretty sure you can invert the fork, remove the lowers and then a snap ring to remove the dampers all w/o draining the fluid.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
mrpercussive said:
cool... thanx zeb... hehe... i'm gonna start breaking it apart after break in i guess... i think i've broken into it already though... been doing a lot of dj and urban stuff lately... and it seems smooth... just spiky
Are you a light weight individual? You may want to simply replace the stock 7wt oil with a 5wt oil if that is the case. SSV damping can only be helped so much, ultimately the ports for oil flow are fixed and eventually get overwhelmed when the oil moves fast enough and you get that spiky feeling. If you make the ports too big, you'll have no damping.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
mrpercussive said:
yupp... i'm flyweight...about 120lbs geared... wouldnt changing the fluid to a heavier weight give me more damping?
It would, but you want less damping since you're so light. Heavier people need more damping, lighter, less. Try a 5wt oil or 2.5wt even before you start tearing into your damper. Wait 10 more hours of ride time before you do it, as it takes about 20 hours of hard riding for the fork to break in. This doesn't just mean smooth operation, this also means the internals; there is a lot of internal break in on the damper parts.

_MK

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the tip MK... i think i'll do it after my break in time... I think i should have finished breaking in after the next ride or so... Also, pardon my noob questions but how do i change the oil??? I've never worked on forks before...

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
mrpercussive said:
thanx for the tip MK... i think i'll do it after my break in time... I think i should have finished breaking in after the next ride or so... Also, pardon my noob questions but how do i change the oil??? I've never worked on forks before...
Remove one top cap, then the spring, then invert the fork to drain the oil into a catch container. When drained put JUST the cap back on then repeat the process for the other side. When drained remove the first cap and compress the fork all the way down (no springs). Add oil to Marzocchi's recomended height. Extend fork and install springs and caps.

·
493 Posts
mrpercussive said:
.. been doing a lot of dj and urban stuff lately... and it seems smooth... just spiky
Typically, SSV damping works great for single big hits (a-la dirt jumping, urban). "Spiking" occurs when you're pushing mach 5 down rough stuff (fast DHing). The mod will make things better when you're really flying into large bumps fast, but as I'm sure you know, it only does so much.

Luckily, you should find that if you're reasonably careful it's not hard to work on the fork. Top caps come off, drain the oil. Foot nuts loose, pop out the pumping rods (you may have to remove the lowers to do this, or you might be able to get them to fall out the top) and drain more oil if needed. Then get to work.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm getting mixed suggestions on what weight oil to use. Some say lighter and some say heavier. I understand that lighter weight oil will flow better. But wouldnt a heavier weight although not going to go down as fast dampen better?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
mrpercussive said:
i'm getting mixed suggestions on what weight oil to use. Some say lighter and some say heavier. I understand that lighter weight oil will flow better. But wouldnt a heavier weight although not going to go down as fast dampen better?
You would want heavier oil if your rebound was too fast, meaning, after you landed whatever, your front end wants to bounce back, hard.

_MK

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
mrpercussive said:
Depends exactly on the complaint. Spiking - generally you want a thinner oil. Usually those that increase the oil thickness w/ the SSV don't have an adjustable rebound. There is always a trade off - thinner oil less overall compression dampning, thicker increased spiking.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i removed some air out of my positive air chamber and now it handles better... it was defintely the rebound which was way too fast. It's much better now but still not quite to where i want it... will swap out for heavier oil... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.