Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if anyone can shed some light on an issue Im having. I bought a brand new Roco air tst r shock last week, today I've been on my first ride with it installed. I correctly set it all up with the correct pressure for my weight, however after about 3 hours, the shock started making a squishy noise (Ive read these shocks are noisy) but then it started leaking oil down the shaft (the manual says this may happen on the first ride) when I checked the pressure of the piggyback it had dropped (this may be due to air in the small chamber leaking into the shock pump when attached?) but now the shock is blowing through it's travel.

Before the shock started making noise and leaking oil down the shaft it felt amazing, now it feels a lot more softer and it bottoms out easily. The pressure in the main can is fine and I get around 28% sag. Like I mentioned already everything that happened to the shock on my first ride is said to be normal for this shock? any ideas or insight on this? shall I ride it more? or just get it sent straight back?

I have also read that having too little pressure in the pickback can cause oil to mix with the air, could this be the cause? if so how could I fix this?

thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
It`s not normal, if oil leaking through the shaft (the black stanchion or the damper body), most cases the o-ring between the main piston and the damper body is broken...... for the piggy back air pressure, it`s normal to drop 30~50ish psi if you attach a pump to it again.

try to compress the shock slowly, if the the compression and rebound feeling is not consistance through the stroke, (for example some travel are super fast rebound suddenly), it means there is oil leak and need service.

Hope this help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Rode this shock last year....never experienced anything like that. Drummercat is probably right, sounds like a compromised o-ring.

Most shops can fix them, but replacement parts are becoming very rare as they're a problematic shock, and no longer in production.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.