Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

Last week, I received and installed on my bike a '04 Marathon S 105mm that was too good to pass up from an online dealer.($300.00) Well, when I received the fork, I was so excited that I went straight to putting the fork on the bike. I did not check for oil levels or anything. I pumped up the air preload, checked sag, and went for a short ride. First thing I noticed is that this fork made the front end of my bike much lower than the RS Duke XC/U-turn it replaced set at around 100mm or so. After getting back home, I measured the distance of exposed stantion when fully extended which was only 110mm. Then I tried to bottom the fork without any preload, I was only able to get less than 75mm of travel. I bounced as hard as I can and I'm not a light-weight being close to 200lbs with gear.
So I decide that I'll ride it for awhile to see if I get more travel as the fork breaks in.
150km later, I check the length of exposed stantion and now its 112mm. And after the bounce travel test, I am now getting 85mm of travel on the dot. I still have not opened the fork to check oil levels but am starting to think that this is not a 105mm fork but the 85mm version. :confused: Can anyone out there with the same fork confirm my suspicions? Or maybe I don't have the fork adjusted correctly.
Any comments, tips or advise will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Nuts.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Nuts said:
Hi Everybody,

-snip-
I still have not opened the fork to check oil levels but am starting to think that this is not a 105mm fork but the 85mm version. :confused: Can anyone out there with the same fork confirm my suspicions? Or maybe I don't have the fork adjusted correctly.
Any comments, tips or advise will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Nuts.
If the top caps aren't too diff to remove, why not take them off, remove the springs and compress the fork fully to see what travel you get? Good time to check the oil levels too...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys. :)

Next weekend, I'll do the first oil change and try to get the proper oil level
to get full travel. Would the basic oil level height be the same for both spring and air preloads? Also started noticing a slight rattling sound coming from the lowers. Anything I should look at in particular when I open it up?
Thanks again.
Nuts.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Nuts said:
Would the basic oil level height be the same for both spring and air preloads? .
The heights are the same. I would suggest 50mm or even 55mm and see if that helps get you some more travel. Work in small increments on oil height, as a little bit goes a long way.

-Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.