Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2005 Marathon Race is my very first suspension fork I've ever bought. For years, I've been touring on a Yeti ARC with a rigid fork. But the more off-road tours I do, I need to smooth out the bumps. Mind you, I don't do any crazy jumps or anything - I just needed a fork that'll take out the "buzz" on gravel/fire trails going 10-12 mph with panniers. A few trips ago, I cycled across Iceland and on another, Patagonia. I could've used a suspension fork then because my body was taking a beating.

First off, did I make the right choice purchasing this fork? I was looking for something that didn't have too much travel, had lock-out for hills, and was light. Speaking of which, I only weigh 133 lbs. I also looked into the Skareb Super and Manitou Pro ETA. I don't have disc brakes so the Reba was out and the Fox 80X was too expensive.

For those who have the Marathon, what is a good setting for someone my weight and riding style? I've heard that this particular fork is somewhat confusing to set because there are 4 (?) air settings. Also, will the remote be able to fit on the '05 model as it does on the '06? I have emailed Marzocchi, but so far no answer.
Thanks a bunch.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I shouldnt reply since i'm not a Marz fan for personal reasons. Start by setting it up the way the manufacture recomends. Just go out & ride. The more you ride you will find you need to do some adjustments, do them as you need. Personally i think people get to involved in what the bike, suspension etc is doing & not just riding. I have hade a Fox DHX 5.0 shock on the rear of my bike, in 1 year i have altered adjustments probibly 15 times :).
Have a great New Year!!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Excellent choice

The Marathon was engineered with long rides in mind, it should suit your needs very well. I own an '04 Marathon S, and it has served me very well. As for set-up, I would agree with dogonfr, and start with the manufacturers recommendations to start, then go from there. I myself am a "set it and forget it" kinda guy, so I didn't make changes to my Marathon once i got it dialed in. Given the description of the type of riding you typically do, it could be you won't need to fuss with it once you have the right settings.

Best Wishes,

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts