Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering, why there are only a few 5-Spot riders who use a Marzocchi Marathon, but dozens of fatty fork 03/04 Z1 FR riders.

The A/C high of the Marathon (493 mm) should fit the 5-Spot by far better than the Z1s (517 mm).

I'm asking, too, because I'm currently riding a 04 Z1 FR and IMHO it feels by far too tall.
Therefore, I'm looking for a new fork for my 5-Spot. I like the Marzocchi damping system a lot and so the 05 Marathon XC caught my eye.

Enclosed a photo of my current setup.

And yes, I'd like to keep the M6ti (doing long and step descents)
The romic will be changed over to a RP3 or DT-Swiss HVR.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Spotfork

I think some people feel that with a slacker HA they can do more on steep technical decents and with adjustable forks you can choose to modify the HA for other conditions. I've run a trio of Manitou forks on my Spot and I felt that the steering was too quick with the 120mm Black and just about right with a Minute 1, maybe the anti dive effect of the SPV helps but if I'm going to be doing a bunch of steep technical trails I like the longer Flick.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Tyrolens said:
I'm just wondering, why there are only a few 5-Spot riders who use a Marzocchi Marathon, but dozens of fatty fork 03/04 Z1 FR riders.

The A/C high of the Marathon (493 mm) should fit the 5-Spot by far better than the Z1s (517 mm).

I'm asking, too, because I'm currently riding a 04 Z1 FR and IMHO it feels by far too tall.
Therefore, I'm looking for a new fork for my 5-Spot. I like the Marzocchi damping system a lot and so the 05 Marathon XC caught my eye.

Enclosed a photo of my current setup.

And yes, I'd like to keep the M6ti (doing long and step descents)
The romic will be changed over to a RP3 or DT-Swiss HVR.
The Marathon S may give the "correct" a-c, but it has 30mm stanchions and a smallish crown. There are some that use it, but that fork is not meant for the abuse that a Z1 can take...or a Vanilla, for that matter. The Vanilla will give you the a-c that you like and the plushness (almost) of the Z1.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
The Marathon is an excellent fork but like most have mentioned here already a little to on the XC side for the 5-Spot. Something else you may want to consider too is that the lower casting on the Marathon is not really meant to handle an 8" rotor like the one you have mounted currently, these are best used on a 20mm axle, as a rotor that size on a standard QR is actually trying to pull the wheel out of the drops.

I believe I saw a post on this by Tscheezy a while back while I was lurcking.

Just some food for thought.

happytrails...

squish

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Z1 is FAR stiffer and burlier than the Vanilla, which is somewhat stiffer than the Marathon. Vanilla is smooth, but Z1FR is significantly smoother, especially when the oil is fresh. Maybe you should look into the AM series? or the Pike?

_MK

·
My cup runneth over
2,428 Posts
If you're mostly XCing on the 'Spot, it seems like the Marathon would be a decent choice. Tons of us "Burner folks" use the Marathon S 105. There may even be some '04 Marathon S 120 forks around really cheap that would make for a less expensive experiment. I also seem to remember TS mentioning that he was running one on his XCE a while back. You are giving up quite a bit of travel compared to what most everyone else is running though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed, I mostly do copious XC rides, lasting 4 to 8 hours, with a lot of climbing on fire roads und descending on tricky, low speed singletrails.

The AllMountain 1 in its 110 - 130 setting is great, but it weights ~2300g, which is not much less then than the 04 Z1 FR weigths.

The rotor size issue of the Marathon XC is quite relevant. At least, I need 180 mm rotors.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Have you considered a Maverick DUC32?
I know the a to c is the same as the Z1 but as it runs more sag the ride height is pretty close to a Vanilla. You would also save loads of weight over a Z1 or AM1 as the DUC is only 1588g with the upper crown installed. 200mm rotors are fine too.

I don't think the Pike will save you a lot of weight and the a to c is taller at full travel than the Z1, you do have the wind down option though. The Pike air would save some weight but it doesn't have travel adjust until next years models come out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looks to me as though you've saved a ton of weight from your previous build. Mono minis, Marathon XC, RP3, it's a whole new bike ;)

Looks good, you need to get it posted on the Ninja thread too...Hmmm, black, me like :)

How do you like the ride now?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a ton, but nearly 2700 lbs. :)

And it's really a new bike. No tall Z1 feeling, but fast steering and great acceleration. It went from a passiv FR-ish bike to a very activ XC-ish bike, where rider and bike merge to one unit. Only now I understand, that the 5-Spot is the best XC bike, someone can buy. Even if, or precisely because it has 5" of travel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Question

That's very cool. I'm currently dealing with the same problem. I have an '04 Z1 FR fork, and I really like the feel, and smoothness of the fork. However the high A/C hieght is becoming an issue for the tight Midwest singletrack that I ride.
My question is; Is there any way to reduce the travel of my Z1 to bring the headtube angle down? Or would I just be better off trying to find a new fork with a lower A/C height?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You can run your fork with more sag. You'll sacrifice big hit ability, but since for usual trail riding, you probably don't use the alst inch of thraver anyway (at least I don't), it should be alright. With more sag, you'll also have more brake dive, though.

_MK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.