Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 175 Posts
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread is just huge. I am trying to help everyone out but I know I am missing some of you, sorry bout dat.

Please feel free to post your questions here or simpily PM me with your question.

I will answer them here too but I have limited time....and I could spend all day here :nono: which wouldn't leave anytime for me to ride my bike and dream of a better mouse trap.:cool:

Thanks!!

Get out of the house and ride!!!

·
abnormally aspirated
545 Posts
Whoops - just missed this thread being created. Posted this in the previous thread, but re-posted here:

Tech Support, hey - I have a friend with a 55 ETA. It was his first ride on it last night and it felt completely undersprung. In a parking lot test, I could track-stand on the bike and put my weight forward and sag it around 2" without even pushing. By pushing and forcing the front-end down, I could get it to bottom-out. I'm not familiar with this fork. Does it require lots of air preload to be properly sprung?

Is this normal 55 ETA behavior? :confused:

Thanks.

Edit: his air preload was set to 15-20psi. Maybe this is too low? This just seemed alarming to me, maybe a non-issue though. Please advise.

·
Yo.
458 Posts
Hey mods - perhaps a dedicated sub-forum in Mfg. is in order? Not that the conversations don't belong here, but then the threads might not get so out of control.

Just a thought.

EDIT: now that I think about it, if Marz gets a sub-forum, then there should be dedicated sub-fora for all the suspension mfgrs, and this whole forum would kinda fall apart. Maybe not such a good idea on my part.

700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
two things to check

brettf said:
Whoops - just missed this thread being created. Posted this in the previous thread, but re-posted here:

Tech Support, hey - I have a friend with a 55 ETA. It was his first ride on it last night and it felt completely undersprung. In a parking lot test, I could track-stand on the bike and put my weight forward and sag it around 2" without even pushing. By pushing and forcing the front-end down, I could get it to bottom-out. I'm not familiar with this fork. Does it require lots of air preload to be properly sprung?

Is this normal 55 ETA behavior? :confused:

Thanks.

Edit: his air preload was set to 15-20psi. Maybe this is too low? This just seemed alarming to me, maybe a non-issue though. Please advise.
Well you might just need a little more air preload on the ETA side. That pressure sounds about right but try a few more pounds, you can go up to 55psi no problem.

Another thing to check which is a little more involved would be to check the oil hieght on the ETA side.
Normally you will know if the oil is low due to the ETA not working perfectly.

You would need to remove the top cap and spring on the ETA side (and the TST top cap), then compress the fork fully compress the ETA center rod and measure the oil hieght. A good number is 55-60mm from the top of the stanchion to the oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi..hope you can help me as this is my first post and also where it's needed. I have two very old marzocchi forks on two Trek vrx200's-a 99 and 00. I don't know the year model of the forks, but i believe it's a z2 bomber(blue color) and a z2 atom bomb (chrome color) and the two have developed leaks around the right stanchion. When I removed the forks and tried to flex the sliders, they don't flex, but on the bikes with the front brakes pressed and rocked back and forth, I can see the tiniest about of flex..I don't know if the bushings are worn or if the forks have a bit of flex like this. I saw the post on service manuals and know I will have to replace the oil seals to get rid of the leak, but I hear people mention of replacing bushings too when they service their forks. Which type of bushings do I need to replace, and if I need to? Also, the action of the blue z2 is a bit sticky, but the chrome atom bomb is still smooth through the stroke. Thanks for any input..-mike

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
copied from old thread

Glad to see Marzocchi Tech support on mtbr,

Can you tell me if it is possible to permanently reduce the travel on my 2007 66 RC2 ETA from the 180mm down to 160mm?

What I have seen on various websites is that folks have said that they have sent their 2007 66 RC2 ETA 180MM forks to Marzocchi and had you guys remove the ETA cartridge and replace it with a 160MM RC2X cartridge thus reducing the travel to 160mm and getting rid of the ETA. Is that possible? If so what parts are necessary and what is the cost?

Cheers.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Any way to get a replacement axle/QR setup for an 08 66 ATA?

I'm developing the dreaded loosening issue... Was fine for the first few rides, and now it's developing play. Had the fork a few months now, but it's had very little actual mileage. I'd rather try a new axle first, before shipping the whole fork back/dealing with a RA and all that. Granted, the fork is also making some horrible clicking sounds on the first half of compression, and I think the ATA chamber and PAR chambers are leaking into one another somehow... Pressures keep equalizing, even though I've been setting the PAR 30psi higher... And the bushings seem intolerably sloppy for a nearly new fork...

Yeah, I think I'll just call tomorrow to get a RA number...

(still gotta' call...new work gig keeping me busy with other stuff...)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi there,
the quickrelease-axle of my new 66 RC-3 has some play. I tightened the axle until it clicked (with and without the O-ring) but there is allways some play between the hub (DT Hügi FR) and the axle.
Can I go ride like that or would I damage something? And do I have to send in the whole fork or just the axle to get it fixed?
Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
2005 AM1 110-130 question

Hi,

I'm taking this fork apart for an oil change and TST rebuild. The footnut on the TST side won't loosen - it just spins. I spoke to your tech support and they told me to use a drill or impact wrench; I tried the drill but it still doesn't loosen. What can I do? Is it possible to remove the insert at the bottom of the leg, pull the cartridge out of the top and then take off the foot nut while holding the shaft?

Thanks in advance for your help with this and thanks for your presence on the forum!

·
"El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
DireWolf said:
Hi,

I'm taking this fork apart for an oil change and TST rebuild. The footnut on the TST side won't loosen - it just spins. I spoke to your tech support and they told me to use a drill or impact wrench; I tried the drill but it still doesn't loosen. What can I do? Is it possible to remove the insert at the bottom of the leg, pull the cartridge out of the top and then take off the foot nut while holding the shaft?

Thanks in advance for your help with this and thanks for your presence on the forum!
I commonly pressurize the fork a bit (10-20PSI) and undo the foot nut while pressing down on the fork lowers with the fork upside down.

·
"El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
One more option for Tom to keep track is to make a sticky post at the top.

Then, each person with a question creates a new thread and posts the link to it on the sticky post.

So Tom can check just one thread and choose which ones to read/reply and each thread remains dedicated to just one issue/user instead of having this only thread which is hard to track for both users and Zoke.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
As soon as I talk this site into giving me my own forum, I'll be glad to let the Marz Tech guy post there anytime he wants. But not any of you people, and your silly questions. :nono:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Warp said:
I commonly pressurize the fork a bit (10-20PSI) and undo the foot nut while pressing down on the fork lowers with the fork upside down.
Thanks Warp. I'm doing the work following your excellent website and I tried this but it didn't work! Any other ideas?

·
6,360 Posts
DireWolf said:
Thanks Warp. I'm doing the work following your excellent website and I tried this but it didn't work! Any other ideas?
You might have to get the damn impact wrench. I hope you don't, and I can't remember havig that pro (the opposite actually), but it costs about 45 bucks. I posted a pic of it on the 2nd page maybe?

Hopfully someone will come along with a better answer.

·
6,360 Posts
unfriendlyGiant said:
Has anyone yet tried to replace TST2 with an RC cartridge on a AM-1? Is this even possible?

I don't see a need for the TST2 personally and would love some compression damping instead.

Thanks
It's only a matter of money. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.