Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im replacing the oil in a 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA, and I was wondering which oil to use. I know marz sells their oem oil, but I was wondering if anyone has tried and other options, such as a RedLine red and yellow mix or Maxima 7w, like mentioned on:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm

Anyone have any experience or opinions on the subject, thanks a lot,

Also… does anyone know the exact quantity of oil to add to each leg, by chance…? (I didn't see it in the manual..)

-J

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
yeah....the '06 manual doesn't mention how much oil to use either. i'm a little surprised that such a nice fork has a somewhat lackluster manual like that. of course, the one for my old manitou was worse. the directions were actually wrong on a few things. gotta love that.

i remember reading somewhere that the oil level should be 20mm from the top of the fork. but i don't know if that is with or without the spring installed. my fork came in with oil dripping from the eta adjuster at the bottom. i just added some 10wt (the manual calls for 7.5) redline that i happened to have so i could take it for a ride without fear of not having enough oil.

enduro fork seal's website recommends 115cc of oil for the '02 marathon. but who knows if it's the same for the mx? i'm hoping to come across a breakdown/rebuild on the mx somewhere on the web. here is enduro's site btw: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id27.html . even though it's a different fork, it's a great website for tips on breaking forks down.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I've used a few....

But the best that I have found is Golden Spectro 125/150 (7.5w). It's actually the same stuff that Zocch has bottled and labled for them in those little bottles. A quart of the stuff goes for about $8.00. Allot cheaper than the little Zocch bottles, and it performs flawlessly. Silcoline also performs well in Zocch forks, and Finish Line oils work well. I've never cared for Maxima in Marzocchi forks, doesn't seem to work as smoothly as the others. I've never tried Red Line products so can't comment there.

The bottom line is, yes you can use other oils in your Zocch. Just try to stick with semi or full sythetic fork oils for Marzocchi forks. They seem to work the best. So go ahead and experiment and find out what works for you. There are certainly other oils that work well in the fork.

Good Dirt

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Most motorcycle shops have oil

Been a loyal Marzocchi user since 1997. As stated, Golden Spectro is what Marzocchi used to recommend back then and up until the owner's manual became completely useless (about 2000 or 2001). The old manual used to show a step by step tear down of the entire fork, right down to the last O-ring.

Anyway, if you can't get Golden spectro, 7.5 wt of most motorcycle fork (I use motul and Bel ray) oil will work. But they're not synthetic. In theory, this will mean you have to change the oil more frequently. Since an oil change is not tough on zokes, I'd do it frequently anyway - really helps preserve the performance and the bushings.

Check Denniskirk.com for fork oil. Pretty nice place for supplies - the metrick and offroad sections especially. I usually order several bottles at once as I change the oil frequently and I have a bunch of Marzocchis at home...

REEK

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
that chart isnt worth the web page its written on most times so be carefull, half the time youll follow it then compress the fork with the caps off and springs out and compress the cardridge and oil will spew over the crown even though you followed their cc chart. Its a big problem for them rigth now but as a general rule 80-130 forks 50mm (light rider)-45mm(heavy rider) from the crown down to oil level then I think (here is where I get confused) 150-170ish is 60mm-55mm somewhere in that range though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.