Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any feedback on their products for trails & touring? I am considering the Marathon SL, which has lockout control for when road changes to limestone or pavement. thanks. Alternative recomendations for loaded touring also appreciated

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don't think the SL is your best choice. I had a 26" 2004 Marz SL. The ECC cartridge is a lockdown, not a lockout. When the adjuster is moved to the lockdown position, if the fork compresses over the slightest bumps, it progressivly gets locked down in its travel. The result is that your front end will be 2.5" lower which is no bueno on the flats.

The locked out position rules for climbing though.

The Reba might work better because it will lock out and release only on the biggest of bumps.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Welcome to the forum trailblzr!

All 29er Marz forks suffer from a serious lack of rigidity. They are very out of favor by most on this forum. The marathon SL is the most difficult of the bunch to tune as it is finicky on the pos an neg air pressure settings.

Here is something I posted a while back on the same subject:

I have a '04 marz MX Pro with 105mm travel & air assisted coil spring. Came on my '04 Sugar 293. It is possibly the best 29er fork that Marz has made, very easy to adjust with good dampening action.. Problem is, that is not saying much: it's a noodle. My new fork tracks thru babyheads sections sooo much better. Way less drama holding a line in the rolly loose, lots more moto.

I was going to hold onto it in case my '06 Tora (econo-Reba on steroids) fails. No way that thing is going back on any bike that I own. I guess I'll just wait until we get closer to spring and dump it on ebay.

I'm having a fully rigid 29er built for touring this year. It will be built suspension corrected, but all touring will be done with a rigid fork.

If you use the search function you will find lots on this subject.

29erchico

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback; guess I'll invest the $$ elsewhere (dont trust slick websites, I guess)! Could you clarify for me: who makes the "Reba" and would you suggest it for the touring I'll do (front & rear panniers, etc) on fireroads and towpaths.

Being new at this side of the sport, tell me I made the right choice with the new SRAM stuff over Shimano, if that's your opinion.txs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Generally suspension forks and front panniers do not work well together. No sussy fork is designed to take a front rack let alone the added load and stresses of loaded bags.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
For touring pick yourself up a nice steel rigid fork. An air sprung fork (like the Reba) is just one more thing that can go wrong (seals going out). 29ers are inherantly smooth smooth enough to not have to worry about needing suspension up front.

trailblzr said:
Thanks for the feedback; guess I'll invest the $$ elsewhere (dont trust slick websites, I guess)! Could you clarify for me: who makes the "Reba" and would you suggest it for the touring I'll do (front & rear panniers, etc) on fireroads and towpaths.

Being new at this side of the sport, tell me I made the right choice with the new SRAM stuff over Shimano, if that's your opinion.txs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.