Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
'All over it!'
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you guys would help me in my choice of forks.

I have pretty much narrowed my choice of frame down to either a Nomad or a Heckler, either with a Fox DHX 5 Coil. Now to my choice of forks.

I have always had forks with travel adjust from either RS or Fox. I thought it's about time I looked at Marzocchi. The fork I want must have a 20mm bolt through and be adjustable in travel. However whilst looking on the net I discovered the Marzocchi 66 RC2X ETA 20mm 2007. Now I must admit, Iike the look of black forks rather than white.

Can anybody tell me more about the ETA function. From what I understand, it allows the fork to sink to a ride height dependant on the riders body weight for climbing. It then allows you 30mm travel for climbing. Could anybody enlighten me to how this works? Would this be benificial for a rider of 240lbs who loves going up as much as down, but needs to reduce the travel for climbs but let it hang out on the downs?

I also like the Marzocchi 66 SL 1 ATA 20mm 2007, although it's white, it is adjustable from 140-180mm which would seem my ideal fork. BUT IT's WHITE! I know this may seem mad, but can the fork be stripped down and re-sprayed in black?

Your help is much appriciated.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
nice problem you have, lornibear...

the ETA locks down the fork depending on how much weight you put up front or what you hit on the climb..basically as you hit stuff or put weight forward, the fork will keep sinking until 30mm of travel are left (although in my experience with ETA, it allows 30mm of travel.. but it is very high damped travel.. great for climbing ;) ).

The white 66 will look awesome... although you could source some black lowers if it is such a big issue ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I like ETA. It works good for extended climbs where you don't need much suspension. I just flip the lever, jam the forks down, and I am in climbing mode. Works great for trails where you climb for a mile or more, then have a long downhill.

I suppose it adjusts at other levels of travel, but when I flip the lever, I compress the fork all the way.

The not good: it has 30mm of travel, but it's crappy travel. ETA dosen't work as well for roller coaster type ups and downs.

ETA is a lock down that lowers the front end and steepens your head tube angle for climbs. Don't think of it as travel adjust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts