Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been using a marzocchi z3 flylight for about 2 years now and it has performed fairly well. But I have heard that changing the fork to coil springs really makes a big difference. So I bought a pair of 100mm springs...the springs seemed to fit very nicely and I was using the stock air caps. My problem is that every time I compress the fork I hear a slight rubbing noise from the inside of the fork...apparently from the springs rubbing something on the inside. I was wondering if anyone has had problems like this and/or if this will damage the fork or if it is ok. I don't really mind the sound...on the trails I won't even be able to hear it. I am just worried that I will be stripping down something on the inside. I have also heard that you can put some shrink wrap around the springs to quiet 'em down. Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
868 Posts
horselover said:
i have been using a marzocchi z3 flylight for about 2 years now and it has performed fairly well. But I have heard that changing the fork to coil springs really makes a big difference. So I bought a pair of 100mm springs...the springs seemed to fit very nicely and I was using the stock air caps. My problem is that every time I compress the fork I hear a slight rubbing noise from the inside of the fork...apparently from the springs rubbing something on the inside. I was wondering if anyone has had problems like this and/or if this will damage the fork or if it is ok. I don't really mind the sound...on the trails I won't even be able to hear it. I am just worried that I will be stripping down something on the inside. I have also heard that you can put some shrink wrap around the springs to quiet 'em down. Anyone have any ideas on this?
I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about if it is just the spring on the inside of the stanchtion tube... that sound is pretty normal.

You can always put some shrink wrap near the center of the spring and it will probably help the sound. You also probably want to raise the oil level a bit. I would see if Marzocchi list the oil level for the same type of fork (or at least model year / damping and travel are the same) and try that. Generally marzocchi air forks have less oil in them to counter act the inherient progressiveness of the air spring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info robsetsfire...I put springs in both of the fork legs and I love the feel of coil/oil over air/coil. I can't wait to hit the trails. I was also wondering if I need to add some heavy duty grease to the coils? or does the oil in the fork legs do the trick?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The oil is what protects the inside of the stanchions on all other coil Marzocchis'. You don't need grease.
horselover said:
thanks for the info robsetsfire...I put springs in both of the fork legs and I love the feel of coil/oil over air/coil. I can't wait to hit the trails. I was also wondering if I need to add some heavy duty grease to the coils? or does the oil in the fork legs do the trick?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.