Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hi all, quick question for you. Can I interchange other brand steering tubes on my marzocchi z4 forks? My friend has an uncut 1 1/8 steer tube (above) but doesn't remember what brand it is although he doesn't think it's a marzocchi. It looks like it would work, appears very similar to what I have but I thought I would ask here to get some feedback. Lastly, the one I currently have is aluminum and this new one is steel if that matters. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Just curious, how do you plan to swap the steerer tube? Just asking because usually you have to send it back to the manufacturer and I doubt they would want to work w/ another companies' parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I was going to use a bench vice and a heavy hammer to make the swap, I hear all the professionals do it this way. Just kidding, my Z4 has pinch bolts on the crown. So, do you think it will work?

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Ladies Man said:
...my Z4 has pinch bolts on the crown....
Really? How old is it? Most modern forks use cryo fit for the steerer tubes. Can you post a picture?

I can't say for sure but it might work if the diameter and height of the clamping area is the same.

Good luck

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
The older Zokes had pinch bolts

I think the last year for pinch bolt crowns was 1998. In terms of the steerer, the fact that it's another manufacturer's doesn't matter as long as the size and measurements are the same. The lower "flange" that holds the steerer in the crown should fit as the original does. The portion that clamps to the crown should be the same diameter and height. And the taper that the lower headset race fits onto should be at the same level as the original once the steerer is installed (the race should sit snug and flush to the top of the crown.

REEK

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
dude don't do it.......man if that fails you are in a world of hurt...leave it to the pros on that or at least be filming everything you ride so I can have proof when I say "told you so"

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've used a steel RST steerer tube in a Marzocchi Z2 with a pinch bolt crown. As long as the OD of the steerer tube is correct for the crown, and the steerer was designed for the same purpose, I don't see a problem. Steel steerer were available from Marzocchi.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
The only way the set up will fail

is if the lower "flange" is not big enough to stop the tube from pulling through crown. As you tighten your head set, you're basically placing the headset under compression while the two ends of the steerer are under tension (the lower "flange" and the upper star nut- top cap). Other than the tube pulling through due to improper sizing, you'd only have to worry about material failure such as the crown or steerer breaking. The former should be obvious if the fit is good or not. The latter, hard to predict in any situation.

REEK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I'm going to take my Z4 apart and do a measurement comparison to see just how "identicle" these steer tubes are. If they are exact I imagine I should be safe. I posted the same question in the suspension forum and was told that many steer tubes are interchangeable. Anyone else care to comment? Is it an accident waiting to happen or is this something that others have done with no problems? I don't want to have to ride a wheelie ALL the way home from the trails with missing front teeth.

p.s. that's a nice boat shot SMT also, I think you have more posts than anyone else on this site. You must be a MTB fiend :)

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Ladies Man said:
.... SMT also, I think you have more posts than anyone else on this site. You must be a MTB fiend :)
Don't confuse the insane number of posts with intelligence or insight, SMT's the paramount post-whore :p

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i always thought that his avatar was him on a riding mower. shows you where my mind is....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts