Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at possibly purchasing an 04 Coiler and this is the stock fork (130 mm) that comes with the bike. Was wondering if this is the same fork as the 130mm Z1, and if not, how this fork compares. I couldn't find any information or a review on the fork at all.

Was also curious about the Raceface XC crankset and bottom bracket. Was thinking of just taking off the big chain ring and installing a bashguard, but wasn't sure if this crankset would be strong enough for a 210 lb freerider. Anyone have any guess?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
mattbryant2 said:
Was looking at possibly purchasing an 04 Coiler and this is the stock fork (130 mm) that comes with the bike. Was wondering if this is the same fork as the 130mm Z1, and if not, how this fork compares. I couldn't find any information or a review on the fork at all.

Was also curious about the Raceface XC crankset and bottom bracket. Was thinking of just taking off the big chain ring and installing a bashguard, but wasn't sure if this crankset would be strong enough for a 210 lb freerider. Anyone have any guess?
04 coiler would make a good trail bike for a guy your size. it will make a horrible choice for a freeride bike for anyone over 135 lbs. short travel, steep angles and xc parts equal parts and frame failures for guys over 200 lbs in regards to freeriding.
 

·
dirt rules
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
Piece of crapola! The one that came on my STP started clunking after about a month and the arch cracked after 2. I wasn't especially hard on it either.
Marzocchi said I was SOL on warranty because I had "jumped" the bike. My LBS told them I rode at the bmx track and did some urban. (no drops or stairs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
sittingduck said:
Piece of crapola! The one that came on my STP started clunking after about a month and the arch cracked after 2. I wasn't especially hard on it either.
Marzocchi said I was SOL on warranty because I had "jumped" the bike. My LBS told them I rode at the bmx track and did some urban. (no drops or stairs).
shite. my ones make some noise from new. the noise is kinda like springs rattling inside. is this normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
The Coiler is good for what it is- a affordable trail/light freeride bike. The DO Comp works ok, but is definately a budget oriented fork.

My Drop Off Comp started leaking after a few months, was warrantied by marzocchi but came back with some topping out issues. Ive recently replaced it with a Z150 DO. Still an OEM fork, but with some internal upgrades, and Im much happier with the bike.

If it's cheap enough (and it probably is) Id throw a couple of hundred dollars at a new fork (pike? Z1?) and you'd have a pretty decent rig. You'll probably need to get a stiffer rear spring as well...

Dont know about the durability of the cranks, Im 180# and do some light freeriding and havent had any probs.....the frame itself seems pretty burly. With budget freeride bikes I dont think that you can expect uber high end components- you get what you pay for.
 

·
Don't skid
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
I'm 265 and have been riding a Coiler for a year now. For your size the Coiler isn't much of a freeride bike, its more of a trailbike as people have said. I haven't had much problem with the DOC fork, its not top of the line but its not a horrible fork, and mine has held up. I replaced my cranks with Saints b/c the stock cranks are cheap OEM XC cranks, they aren't even made by RaceFace, they just buy them from Taiwan and slap thier name on them. My ride XC's flexed like crazy and eventually the splines rounded off and the arms kept coming loose. Also the hubs suck on the coiler.
If you want a FR bike don't go for the Coiler, get a Stinky (same price new I believe but still has some cheap parts on it) or something else, if you want a good burly trail bike and have some extra $$$ to spend on parts then go for the Coiler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the Marzocchi Drop Off sold with the 05 Fisher GEDs? (http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=biggns&bike=GED) Is this the same fork? If not, how does this one compare?

I'm in the market for a new bike... I do mostly trail riding, with some jumps and drops, and I keep breaking everything on my current bike. It's pretty annoying. But my budget is about $1500. Beginning to realize that I may not be able to afford a quality full suspension bike. Was thinking about the GED. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,709 Posts
mattbryant2 said:
What about the Marzocchi Drop Off sold with the 05 Fisher GEDs? (http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=biggns&bike=GED) Is this the same fork? If not, how does this one compare?

I'm in the market for a new bike... I do mostly trail riding, with some jumps and drops, and I keep breaking everything on my current bike. It's pretty annoying. But my budget is about $1500. Beginning to realize that I may not be able to afford a quality full suspension bike. Was thinking about the GED. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I've only found Mullet and Opie version on sales floor. I like it, but can't stand the way the brake drags when fork is compressed. So far a Giant STP has been the most fun in terms of what I'm looking for. I would hope the high spec model would not have the same fork and brake problems.
 

·
dirt rules
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
bitflogger said:
I've only found Mullet and Opie version on sales floor. I like it, but can't stand the way the brake drags when fork is compressed. So far a Giant STP has been the most fun in terms of what I'm looking for. I would hope the high spec model would not have the same fork and brake problems.
The STP is an awesome bike. I love mine, and know several people that own them, and they all like them a LOT. Just plan on replacing some components eventually if you buy a complete bike. If you want a kickass bike right off the bat, get a frameset and build one up yourself. The cost will be substantially higher initially though.
 

·
Still on Training Wheels!
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
I have weigh 185 an have a 04 Coiler that I have abused the crap out of. I swapped the Drop Off for a Rock Shox Pike Race and couldn't be more happy with the way thie bike feels. The Drop Off is an OK fork for doing drops and jumps, but it sucks for trail riding.

I'm sure you're getting a good deal on the Coiler being that its last years model and for the type of riding you said you do, the coiler would be a great starting point for you. FWIW the 05 coiler has the same part spec, but an inch more travel front and rear, so that may be a better route if you feel the 04 would be inadaqute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I just bought a Specialized Rochopper Pro Disc that came spec'ed with the Marz Drop Off Comp. So far my impressions of it are fairly good. I'm a big guy, 6'5" 245 pounds, and when pumped up properly it's pretty supple. Currently I have it set at 51 and 5 respectively. I only get about a 1/2" of sag which is how I prefer it and it won't bottom out despite my best efforts. However....

It does make a somewhat annoying (not loud) *tunk*, presumably as it tops out lightly while seated pedalling around urban stuff. I couldn't care less about this though, honestly. It's only mildly annoying and originally I thought I had headset play or an open quick release on my front wheel (the latter was the case once). I haven't taken to doing big drops yet, just a few sets of 14 concrete stairs around the house (jumping halfway down them). No complaints so far.

One other thing to think about.... Last night after reading this thread I was curious how much it would run to upgrade to a Z1 150 20mm. And it looked like this....

$680 - Marz Z1 150 w/20mm axle
$120 - Hadley front hub
$36 - Spokes from wheel builder ($1 each)
$30 - Wheel building at local shop
--------------------------
$866 - Total w/reused Sun Singletrack wheel
 

·
Still on Training Wheels!
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
I've also heard of guys swpping the ssv valve in the drop off for a HSCV valve for around $150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Now there's an idea I can get down with. That's pretty reasonable, and makes sense. I don't remember off hand but are the lowers, crown and steerer all the same across the Z1 line? Even if they aren't, HSCV valves would be pretty snazzy for a buck fifty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
51 and 5? Im pretty sure that the DOC runs low pressure- like <15psi......You might consider running a higher viscosity oil to keep the fork from topping out (Marz's recommendatino) but Id check the air pressure first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I'm looking at the manual here and it seems like I got the figures reversed....

Preload air pressure (left leg): 5 psi (0-15 psi recommended)
Positive air pressure (right leg): 51 psi (52-65 psi recommended for 210-220+ pound rider)

I've only had the bike for a week and only have a week's worth of riding on it, but changing the oil to a heavier weight is something I was holding off on til I figure out the setup. In my old old OLD Rock Shox (the classic, the originally) I had it revalved and oiled with 10w. That was my last fork so frankly I dunno how these long travels should behave just yet.

Thanks for the advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Yeah, getting things dialed is kind of a pain, although the bike has been really good to me. The manual is kind of confusing but I assumed that both sides were <15psi since the DOC is a coil fork and not an air fork. Mine actually worked best for me (185#) with both at 5.

I do like the bike better with the Z150Do though.......ETA is nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Wait, my DOC has a coil spring in there? It has air valves on both legs so wouldn't that imply, in addition to the manual's section on the DO, that it's an all air/oil fork? Come to think of it, there's no "comp" written anywhere in the manual nor on the forks. Damn italians! It doesn't feel like a coil fork, nor sound like one, so now I'm confused as hell.

Thanks! ;0)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top