Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to the LSB today and was looking at the bikes.

I saw the Kona Stinky siting there looking all badass with it's FS and fat tires. I thought the fork looked pretty darn beefy too, but I can't recall ever seeing it on Marzochi's web site. It's pretty much a Droppoff 2 with extended stanchions.

I thought, "cool this fork must be bomb proof"

wrong!

I put the front tire between my legs and turned the handle bars to find that the bloody thing has an enourmous amount of steering play. It had three times as much steering play as my MX comp and WAY more play than my freind's standard DropOff2.

First off, why would this fork have so much play? I thought those extra clamps were for amking a fork mor rigid?

Also, I'm ashamed Marz would sell such a thing!

Anyone use this fork? Notice too much play?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
drop offs are rather bad...

2 of my mates have drop offs...and there not the best fork out there...

(but not to fear manitous new stance fork should be replacing most bad kitted forks from now on so lets hope we dont see the new drop off tripple with 7" on any more bikes than the 05 stinky)

OH! AND TWISTED UR BACK!!!!!!!

·
Ride Hard, Ride Free
427 Posts
I don't understand why people complain about play in the fork when thy twist them from side-to-side. A fork is designed to move up and down not side to side. When your weight is over your bike, the wheels are spinning eliminating the flex on your fork and frame.

·
Registered
155 Posts
fr-rider said:
I don't understand why people complain about play in the fork when thy twist them from side-to-side. A fork is designed to move up and down not side to side. When your weight is over your bike, the wheels are spinning eliminating the flex on your fork and frame.
Man, I HAVE to get some of those wheels!!! lol ;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
fr-rider said:
from what i read, thats some crazy @ss flex! spinning wheels dont cause it to stop flexing though....just remeber that a fork will be come stiffer as it compressis, so doing the "between the leg test" doesnt give you a accurate idea of the forks flex....but still---if you can touch the tire to the lowers, thats one flexy fork!

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
fr-rider said:
um no. forks will twist from side to side, not a lot but they do. the drop off is just a flexy fork.

·
huckit
78 Posts
It's an entry level fr/dh fork that Kona chose to put on the bike to keep retail price down. My buddy hasa one, and I've ridden it, not very impressed by performance...but take it for what it is...entry level...upgrade the fork after a season, and its a great bike.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PLay from side to side HAS EVERYTHING TO do with a fork's performance.

If this was an XC bike, then it would be fine, BUT

when going off trail or down super technical sections (what the bike is made for) it's VERY VERY VERY VERY important to have your front wheel tracking in the same direction as the handle bars.

An yes the fork was tightned. The play I noticed wasn't loose floppy play, but still plenty of play before handle bars would force the tire to turn.

My buddy has the standard Drop-Off2 and I think that fork rocks! It's the stiffest steering single crown I've ever used. The DO 2 really blows chunks until it's broken in and setup properly. I swear it takes a 1000 miles to break the bloody thing in, but when broken in, I've never ridden a single crown that jumps as well. The DO2 does just fine for it's intended purpose (freeriding) where you get to ride over differing terrain.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
TWISTED said:
No, 32mm. As I posted above I put '04 z1 qr20 lowers on my '04 drop off triple.
My fork came with one spring in one leg, air preload on both caps and no other external adjusters.
yeah, was just pointing out its kind of an exageration here considering no really complained about the JrT, despite the forks being essentially identical. Its not the fork, but rather the hub system, and the wheel between the knees test is pretty BS.

You can stiffen it also using a bolt-on axle conversion, not as good as 20mm but it can handle torsion alot better than a qr.

·
Registered
25 Posts
'04 Stinky/Marz. DO Triple

2nd. Zedro and Twisted's posts. I have an '04 Stinky with the same fork. My son has an '04 De-Lux with the Jr.-T and the only differences are the drop-outs and the Jr. having dual coils w/7" travel, as opposed to the DO having 1 side coil, 1 side air and 6" travel. The non-adj. SSV damping systems and the stanchions are identical. I have since up-graded my DO with a set of Jr.-T springs in both legs. My son is in the process of adding an HSCV cartridge, which I'll also do soon.

As for the flex, I rarely hear my front 8" disc rub the brake pads, nor my 2.5" tires rub on the lowers... which would certainly indicate excessive flex. I keep my skewers tight, but I'm also considering a solid axle conversion for the front... as Zedro mentioned. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
avidcycler said:
2nd. Zedro and Twisted's posts. I have an '04 Stinky with the same fork. My son has an '04 De-Lux with the Jr.-T and the only differences are the drop-outs and the Jr. having dual coils w/7" travel, as opposed to the DO having 1 side coil, 1 side air and 6" travel. The non-adj. SSV damping systems and the stanchions are identical. I have since up-graded my DO with a set of Jr.-T springs in both legs. My son is in the process of adding an HSCV cartridge, which I'll do soon.

As for the flex, I have rarely hear my front 8" disc rub the brake pads, nor my 2.5" tires rub on the lowers... which would certainly indicate excessive flex. Just my $.02.
Let us know how how your fork performs after the upgrades, as well as eas of installation.

·
Ride Hard, Ride Free
427 Posts
Master_Jako said:
from what i read, thats some crazy @ss flex! spinning wheels dont cause it to stop flexing though....just remeber that a fork will be come stiffer as it compressis, so doing the "between the leg test" doesnt give you a accurate idea of the forks flex....but still---if you can touch the tire to the lowers, thats one flexy fork!
Obviously, you have no knowledge of how forks work. Do some research. Then you can put your 2 cents of bullsh*t. If you still don't understand ask for some help. In the meantime I'll be out riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts