Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what year this fork was built? It's a Marzocchi Bomber Atom Bomb Z.2. It has a 1" threadless steerer. There is a yellow sticker on the back of the left leg that says Made in Italy, and then has "Z2 484041." Does that mean anything? I've had the fork for quite a few years and it really rides nice. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
I'd guess 97-98 but it should have a year on the casting maybe near the dropout. The model year will be one year newer than the date on the casting typically.

It still has the canti option on the brace.
 

·
artistic...
Joined
·
7,602 Posts
in 99 they were disc ready, longer travel and the crown would have no replacebale steerer. i bet 96/97.
the silver color is really nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
I'd guess 97-98 but it should have a year on the casting maybe near the dropout. The model year will be one year newer than the date on the casting typically.

It still has the canti option on the brace.
It says 97 inside a circle on the right dropout. I was hoping it was a couple years older...
 

·
Neo-Retro Forever
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
There should be a date of manufacture cast into one of the legs and on the back of the brake arch. It's a circle logo with a number in the middle (like a 97 or 98) and a series of 12 boxes in the circle around it. each of these bokes represents a month. That should give you an idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Its a MY99 fork which means it was probably cast in 98 sometime or sometime earlier as the legs didn't change after mid/late 97. What gives it away is the polished legs and the decals. The triple clamp crown was also available in 99 to allow the fitment of the 1" steerer however it could be from an earlier fork - they were the same anyway.

For the record the easiest ways to tell the differences are as follows:

MY97: Introduced in late 96 and has red preload knobs which are round. The preload top caps also sit noticable above the crown where the stancions bolt on. These high top caps caused clearance issues on many frames and sometimes a Z1 crown was fitted to fix the problem. The Z1 crown being taller between the top on the top cap and the crown. The Z1 crown also has a large area where the stanchion bolt up and is easy to spot due to the wider bolt spacing for the stancions.
Decals have Z1/Z2/Z3 on the side of the fork down low near the hub.

MY98: revised top caps to remove the above clearance issue. Preload knobs chnaged from round ones to smaller ones with a squared off edge. Preload knobs are also blue on all forks except for red ones where they are red to match.
Decals have the Z1/Z2/Z3 script on the front on the leg just below the brace bolts.

MY99: Pretty much the same but an expanded range with air sprung Z2 Superfly with valves on the front which were next to impossible to get a pump on without removing the V brakes.
Decals have multiple lines at an angle for the length on the bomber script (just like the one in this case).

MY00: complete changes to the arch on the Z2 range except for a few bolted Z2 superflys etc.
Decals have there larger angled lines behind the bomber text on the lower part of the leg.

I can do photos and more detailed changes between the years if anyones really interested, but should keep you out of trouble for now :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tassie Devil said:
Its a MY99 fork which means it was probably cast in 98 sometime or sometime earlier as the legs didn't change after mid/late 97. What gives it away is the polished legs and the decals. The triple clamp crown was also available in 99 to allow the fitment of the 1" steerer however it could be from an earlier fork - they were the same anyway.

For the record the easiest ways to tell the differences are as follows:

MY97: Introduced in late 96 and has red preload knobs which are round. The preload top caps also sit noticable above the crown where the stancions bolt on. These high top caps caused clearance issues on many frames and sometimes a Z1 crown was fitted to fix the problem. The Z1 crown being taller between the top on the top cap and the crown. The Z1 crown also has a large area where the stanchion bolt up and is easy to spot due to the wider bolt spacing for the stancions.
Decals have Z1/Z2/Z3 on the side of the fork down low near the hub.

MY98: revised top caps to remove the above clearance issue. Preload knobs chnaged from round ones to smaller ones with a squared off edge. Preload knobs are also blue on all forks except for red ones where they are red to match.
Decals have the Z1/Z2/Z3 script on the front on the leg just below the brace bolts.

MY99: Pretty much the same but an expanded range with air sprung Z2 Superfly with valves on the front which were next to impossible to get a pump on without removing the V brakes.
Decals have multiple lines at an angle for the length on the bomber script (just like the one in this case).

MY00: complete changes to the arch on the Z2 range except for a few bolted Z2 superflys etc.
Decals have there larger angled lines behind the bomber text on the lower part of the leg.

I can do photos and more detailed changes between the years if anyones really interested, but should keep you out of trouble for now :)
Great info! Thank you very much! I guess I'm gonna run the fork on my Bontrager for now until I can find a nice Bontrager rigid fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,986 Posts
pint said:
I was hoping it was a couple years older...
If ti were a couple of year older it would not have been a Bomber, and would not have worked nearly as well. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
laffeaux said:
If ti were a couple of year older it would not have been a Bomber, and would not have worked nearly as well. ;)
yeah, must have been Mammoth in 95 or 96 when I first saw a Bomber in action on Giovanni Bonazzi's bike. Everyone else had Judys and Manitous. I realized then that a proper fork had finally come to fruition. It didn't need any up close inspection; it only took me seeing it go by with its relative stoutness and soaking up the chatter unlike anything else I had seen on a bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
pint said:
Great info! Thank you very much! I guess I'm gonna run the fork on my Bontrager for now until I can find a nice Bontrager rigid fork.
I'll take some photos tonight (my time) for completeness, that way if people seacrh for it later on the information is there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
My wife's old bike has a MY98 Bomber fork (1" threadless). Still works great although it has very limited travel range. Nice and Plush. I was surprised to find anodized gold legs underneath the dust boots.
 

·
Sponsored by Xanax
Joined
·
358 Posts
I agree, prolly a '98 Z2 Atom Bomb. I have one too, but mine is the funky yellow/green model. There was a regular Z2 fork that also had the disc brake mount and the brace was a tad less machined. I debated on getting that one (they were on sale at Supergo...RIP), but I went with the Atom Bomb instead. Best decision I ever made, it was the smoothest fork ever (in 1998). I sold my old Judy XC to the shop (I was going to throw it away, it was that bad) and rode the Bomb for about four years. To this day, I prefer a coil fork. I can cut weight elsewhere.

Oh, if you decide to sell it, you can get decent cash for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I have the same fork

in 1.125". If I remember correctly it was 80ish mm (82??) and 1998 was the year.
I had my tweaked to 90mm and with springs to handle my Clydesdale size.
I love this fork.
Oh, I took all stickers off cause the shiny is so lovely
 

·
Sponsored by Xanax
Joined
·
358 Posts
They were more like 63 or 65mm travel. I too had to opt for heavy springs in all of mine.

I really wish Marzocchi had stayed committed to the coil-sprung XC fork, but as the years went by it seems air forks have mostly taken over. Guess I'm getting old, but I've never liked air forks (Marzocchi, Fox or any others).
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top