Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any details on what the Rail damper is?

Cant find any info from Sea Otter press coverage. All I can find is that it is different from Grip and that it was apparently designed by the Marzocchi team in Italy.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,517 Posts
and that it was apparently designed by the Marzocchi team in Italy.
Well if that isn't a warning flag I don't know what is...

Household hardware Grey Circle Metal Macro photography

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
Fabien Barel won 2 world titles on that piston!

Goes to show the damper doesn't make or break a fork, I would rather have a cheap damper with a decent chassis and air spring than the other way around
Or rather. Some people can win on anything!

I will always take the better damper. Always have. It makes the most difference to the ride and handling.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
So how's it different from Grip on the Z1?

Is there a Grip diagram somewhere?
Fox's Bike Technical page has parts diagrams including the Z2 Rail damper and the Fox grip.

The Z1 is identical to a perfromance series fox damper, ie spring-backed IFP, shimmed compression and rebound. The Rail uses orifice rebound damping and no IFP (ie air and oil mixing)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just put one of these (130mm Z2 29er) on my Kona Process 111... and it is fantastic. I have sitting in my shed, a brand new Pike Ultimate (at double the price) and I have to say, I prefer the Z2.

I love the Z2 for its price and performance, but most of all... it's just so uncomplicated to setup. Throw it on, set air pressure and rebound and away you go. Sometimes simple is best.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
It's a damper layout like RS Motion Control; uses stanchion as damper tube and it has a rebound damper secured by a hoopster retainer on the bottom and a very simple compression damper threaded in the top.

The Z2 comes with plastic compression knob, rebound knob and air cap, Trelleborg seals, no foam rings, a very sticky rebound sealhead and serrated nuts with no crush washers for foot nuts, not a fan but hey, it's Fox's budget fork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.