Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 374 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered one for my Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dog, installing this week, previous coils used include Cane Creek IL, Cane Creek DB, and RS Super Deluxe RCT.

Anyone got feedback on this shock?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im a fan. I own one that I run on my Sentinel. I only weight 150lbs and ride really chunky stuff so I changed the valving to the light compression/light rebound tune. It’s the best shock I have run for the money.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've got one on the way for my Process 153.

As I am sure you are aware, the Bomber is based on the Fox Van. The Van seems to be loved by many and hated by a few. I've got one on my VPP bike and love it there. The kinematics will obviously be different on a faux bar (Kona) or Horst Link (GG) but I'm hoping the Bomber works well for both of us!

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been riding mine for a week, 450# spring is a touch light, waiting on a #500 and #550 to compare.

Pretty much a set it and forget it shock, 1/3 LSC and 1/3 rebound, tweaked the LSC +1 as it was hopping in rock piles while climbing, otherwise runs great.

It actually puts my Fix 36 to shame 🙄

Good product for a good price.

I’ll have it upgraded over the winter, maybe ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered one yesterday for my Process 153 29 as well! Not as good of a deal in the EU as in the US, but still the most affordable coil shock that actually fits.

Now I just need to figure out what spring to buy (shock size is 205x60 trunnion mount, any input on what spring length I need?), and if I need any mounting hardware. Thinking 500 would be a good starting point for my 95kg fully kitted, maybe 550.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,767 Posts
I ordered one yesterday for my Process 153 29 as well! Not as good of a deal in the EU as in the US, but still the most affordable coil shock that actually fits.

Now I just need to figure out what spring to buy (shock size is 205x60 trunnion mount, any input on what spring length I need?), and if I need any mounting hardware. Thinking 500 would be a good starting point for my 95kg fully kitted, maybe 550.
https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
With regards to spring length you may find this helpful, be sure to check out the DHX2 chart at the top it will explain what lengths work with what shocks. https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=672

Also your current shock hardware should work with the new shock.

I checked out the spring calc that Jayem posted, for 30% sag (for your riding weight, shock stroke and travel) it recommended a 450 spring, so I'd say given your bike suspension design your on point with the 500-550 spring, depending on your riding style. Like to hit simple drops 2-4' and jump go 500, send big maybe go 550.
Sorry to sideline a bit but I got a question and am a complete newb to coil suspension. Running a 2019 Smash (230x60 shock) with a SD Coil and 400# spring. Using the TFTuned calculator it says that for my style of riding I should be between a 433 and 459 spring rate (28% sag vs. 33%). So while I am in the "ballpark" I have noticed that on some trails with more rocks/roots/etc. in the trail I feel like the rear can get a bit "chattery" would this be the result of preload, LSC or rebound? Shock feels great on larger hits and very plush on the small jumps and drops I take (less than 4') but I do charge through rock gardens and whatnot, so a semi aggressive rider. Wondering if jumping up to a 425 or 450 MRP spring would smooth things out a bit?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Make sure your preload is no more than 2 turns, less if possible. If its more than that, it could cause issues.

With regards to could A,B or C be causing the issue, yes, could be one or all or combo of two.

I would say if your preload is good, start by backing off your LSC, set your Rebound to middle and make sure the keep the Threshold lever turned to off. I'd start from there.

You could also try reaching out to GG, they have a pretty solid handle on their designs and the shocks.
In my experience, excessive LSC can cause skipping when rock climbing, same with being overdamped, as well as running to high of a spring rate.

Coils are funny, they work great for some things (small bump compliance), but only if you run them on the soft side, cuz as soon as you try to stiffen up for the big hits you lose out on small bump compliance.

It's pretty much the same for air springs, but those are much easier to adjust on the fly.

I'm contemplating a coil for my 36, had an MRP Ribbon Coil and never found the love, so I'm thinking that a coil kit with the air cushion will hit that magic spot.

From Shockwiz:

https://shockwiz.zendesk.com/hc/en-...-Knowing-What-Adjustments-Your-Suspension-Has

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone done the Avy mod on their CR Coil?

What changed in terms of damping? How does it ride differently?
I have, but did it immediately to the shock so don't have a baseline on it before the mod/tune. I basically don't even realize the bike has a rear end. It soaks up everything I've thrown at it without issue and I've had 0 complaints.

1 - 20 of 374 Posts