Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I'm about to start rebuilding this shock which hasn't had any love since it was made in 2006. I've found a guy in the states making the seal kit for it, but can't find any information on how it's put together. I.e. Fluid type and volume, torque specs, parts diagram. Does anyone have any information on this shock? Or alternatively has anyone worked on one and know if it's similar in construction to something else that I can use as a comparison? Thanks in advance

· otb club member
3,052 Posts
Hey there,
I'm about to start rebuilding this shock which hasn't had any love since it was made in 2006. I've found a guy in the states making the seal kit for it, but can't find any information on how it's put together. I.e. Fluid type and volume, torque specs, parts diagram. Does anyone have any information on this shock? Or alternatively has anyone worked on one and know if it's similar in construction to something else that I can use as a comparison? Thanks in advance
Not much info on that fork around. I'll attach a diagram I have. It's a grease-lubed fork. I think the 33 and 22 are the only grease lubed forks (no oil at all in lower legs) that Marzocchi ever produced.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks so much for that diagram. Unsure if it's the correct shock, as mine doesn't have the v-brake mounts or the lockout. Maybe similar enough, because I had heard that it's a greased shock, at the time I wasn't sure what that meant.

Below is a photo of what I've got. Sorry I know it's not a good photo, but it's all I have at the moment.

· otb club member
3,052 Posts
I have one oil chart that shows a 2010 33 with 7.5mm oil in each leg. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not--it's not much oil, and 7.5wt is the typically Marz damping oil. Depending upon the seal used, you may be able to run a very small amount of oil like that. It's a 32mm fork, but does not use the normal 2-piece oil seal used on other Marz forks. Most use a dedicated oil seal pressed in first and retained in the fork with a clip. Then, the wiper is pressed in on top of that. The 33 in the diagram has only a single-piece wiper pressed in.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the input Chris, thankyou.

In terms of grease then, is there a recommended specification? I don't have any bike grease, but I work on cars and have some rubber grease. I've read some input that car rubber grease is similar compound to like SRAM butter/slickoleum. I've used my rubber grease on brake and suspension components in my car, so I know it works with rubber, is temperature resistant and can cope with motion.

· otb club member
3,052 Posts
Appreciate the input Chris, thankyou.

In terms of grease then, is there a recommended specification? I don't have any bike grease, but I work on cars and have some rubber grease. I've read some input that car rubber grease is similar compound to like SRAM butter/slickoleum. I've used my rubber grease on brake and suspension components in my car, so I know it works with rubber, is temperature resistant and can cope with motion.
I like (and we sell) Slickoleum for this type of use and you can get it just about anywhere. With all the different grease bases and additives, I couldn't begin to speculate if an auto grease could be substituted and would not experiment. I also think most would be really messy compared to the Slickoleum.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit of an update. I found MTB Forks by Mark, after being directed there following a contact with the Marzocchi webpage. He eventually sent me out some seals, which turned out to be the wrong ones. Unforunately I had already removed my old ones, damaging them in the process. After months of back and forth I eventually got a refund, but if you're dealing with him don't expect a reply same week, and be cautious that the wrong ones might be sent (I had sent him pictures and all the information I had on which model forks they were).

ANyway, I thought I would add some pictures to this thread to help others in the future when this thread is dug up in a desperate google search 3 years from now.

Tire Drinkware Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Drinkware Cameras & optics

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.