Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my new marz all mountain 2 in the mail ! forks look awesome, but upon taking them out of the box and compressing them they make a god awful squishing and bubbling sound. This is completely unlike my rockshox dart3. Also, they don feel exactly smooth, kind of catchy rite about the final 20 to 30 mm. Thought may be due to not being on a bike and just pushing with my hands.
On another note, no matter how far in which direction you turn the compression adjustment knob does it actually lock. it will just compress and stay at the length compressed to until the dial is adjusted back to completly plush setting?

sheesh, i know , a lot of questions! sorry guys, but new to the fork technology of mountain bikes

can someone please clue me in....
thanks guys
jon

Attachments

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
jdr6031 said:
just got my new marz all mountain 2 in the mail ! forks look awesome, but upon taking them out of the box and compressing them they make a god awful squishing and bubbling sound. This is completely unlike my rockshox dart3. Also, they don feel exactly smooth, kind of catchy rite about the final 20 to 30 mm. Thought may be due to not being on a bike and just pushing with my hands.
On another note, no matter how far in which direction you turn the compression adjustment knob does it actually lock. it will just compress and stay at the length compressed to until the dial is adjusted back to completly plush setting?

sheesh, i know , a lot of questions! sorry guys, but new to the fork technology of mountain bikes

can someone please clue me in....
thanks guys
jon
That sounds like you have ETA on the fork. It is meant to be able to reduce travel while climbing. You give it a 1/4 turn clockwise and push down and the fork will stay down quite a ways until you turn the knob counterclockwise 1/4 turn and it will pop back up to full travel. If this is how it functions, then it is working correctly.

Unless you have a TST feature, I don't know of any other compression adjusters on available on Marz All Mountain forks. If you could show a picture of the adjusters located on the crown, it would help to see exactly what you have.

The Marz All Mountain forks take a little time to 'break-in' the seals and they should gradually get smoother.

As is, it's a decent fork for the money, but the good news is that you can upgrade to an RC2 cartridge and make this fork into a much better performer than it is.

Also, if you have an air/coil model, the recommended air settings are generally much to high. It says I should be running over 50psi (I'm over 260lbs), but I run much lower than that. I like mine to have a good inch or so of sag when I am just riding along so it is compliant when things get rougher. It will dive a little if you don't adjust your position rearward as you apply braking power. Takes a little time to get used to doing this, but once you do, it just comes naturally.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
my bike came with an AM2, it does not have ETA nor lock out. You can rotate the left knob to the right to increase dampening.
it is a air shock. Generally I run about 20 psi on the air spring. and about 15 psi on the rebound. However I did run it at 50 psi once and it felt great on high speed down hills.
I run dampening at 1 click to the rt

At 20 psi It will bob if your out of the saddle, but if you remain seated and pedal smooth there is not much noticeable bob.
It shouldn't be making any funny noises. Install it on the bike and try riding for a while to break it in. maybe the noise was from laying flat and to fluid was not at the botton of the fork.

You should have asked me, b'cuz I want to upgrade to an am 1 or rock shox lyric and replace my am2. I would have given you a great deal on a slightly used fork. (mostly scratches on the fork by miss handling at the bike shop. I prefer a 20 mm thru axle w/coil/air ; )

have a blast!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Yep...ETA and

here's what I pulled off the web for specs:
2007 All Mountain 2.
New magnesium monolite with 20mm QR axle and post disc mount.
32mm alloy stanchions.
Revised RV damper (speed sensitive valve) with externally adjustable rebound.
ETA cartridge with lock down.
Coil sprung with air-assist, 140mm travel.

What does it all mean?

TST5: The TST5 system uses a sealed cartridge with
a rubber lung for oil collection. The TST5 cartridge is
provided with a rebound adjuster in the lower area and
a 5-position compression adjuster in the upper area. The
5th position corresponds to blocking.
ATA
offers the user all the benefi ts of our proven Doppio
Air system, with external travel adjustment. 8 turns
increase the travel of 40mm. Progressive air automatically
compensates to travel changes. Low turning force on the
adjuster means that travel can be changed quickly and
easily. With BOTTOM OUT AIR CHAMBER you can set
up progressivity at the end of travel.
The TST2 system uses a serviceable sealed cartridge
providing 2 positions of compression adjustment. The
TST cartridge is provided with a rebound adjuster in the
lower area, a 2-position and lock out in the upper area.
The SFA system (Single Function Air), by means of a
unique valve, allows the simultaneous adjustment of the
positive and negative air chambers. With the PAR valve
you can set up progressivity at the end of travel.
This new system allows for control of the rebound and
compression damping by means of two external adjusters,
as well as of the spring preload.
This system is the evolution of RC2 system with an extra
X-cartridge on the left leg for the control of the fork's
compression at travel end.
Each rider can adjust the spring preload and the air
volume by simply turning the knobs. By increasing
preload the air volume is reduced, and the rider can have
more progressivity without the need to open the fork or
put stiffer springs.
By simply using the command during ascent, the
suspension will compress to the ideal height (depending
on the riders' weight). Unlike a traditional locking system,
when activated, the ETA system allows 30mm travel to
overcome small obstacles and improve comfort respect
to a total lock.

With its speed type valves, the RV (Rebound Valve)
system permits the control of compression and rebound
speed based on the fork's accomplished travel. The
RV pumping rods are equipped with rebound adjusters
(internal or external).By virtue of its speed type valves, the RCV (Rebound
Compression Valve) system permits the control of
compression and rebound speed based on the fork's
accomplished travel. The RCV pumping rods are
equipped with compression and rebound external
adjusters.

jeffj said:
That sounds like you have ETA on the fork. It is meant to be able to reduce travel while climbing. You give it a 1/4 turn clockwise and push down and the fork will stay down quite a ways until you turn the knob counterclockwise 1/4 turn and it will pop back up to full travel. If this is how it functions, then it is working correctly.

Unless you have a TST feature, I don't know of any other compression adjusters on available on Marz All Mountain forks. If you could show a picture of the adjusters located on the crown, it would help to see exactly what you have.

The Marz All Mountain forks take a little time to 'break-in' the seals and they should gradually get smoother.

As is, it's a decent fork for the money, but the good news is that you can upgrade to an RC2 cartridge and make this fork into a much better performer than it is.

Also, if you have an air/coil model, the recommended air settings are generally much to high. It says I should be running over 50psi (I'm over 260lbs), but I run much lower than that. I like mine to have a good inch or so of sag when I am just riding along so it is compliant when things get rougher. It will dive a little if you don't adjust your position rearward as you apply braking power. Takes a little time to get used to doing this, but once you do, it just comes naturally.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I added the Fox DHX 5.0 Coil rear shock. my fork like yours doesn't have the 20 mm thru axle. but from the look of the levers on the top of yours you may have ETA, you can adjust the travel from 100 mms to 140 mms. I wish I had that and the thru axle.

Although my forks may lack a few of the goodies, it has been very dependable and handles the hi speed down hill bumps very well. Well enough were I may just ride it the way it is for another year, before going to another fork.

You have a good fork. have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.