Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marzocchi All Mountain III on my Heckler. The front end continually feels like the headset is loose, but it's not. When the problem first started, I had the local shop pull the headset apart and reinstall it to be sure it was all tight. They replaced the star nut and said all was sound.

The problem is still there, and after continuing to ride, it seems it's coming from the fork. I checked the air pressure considering the shock has no adjustments on it, and now I'm at a loss.

This shock doesn't have a lot of riding on it. Any advice?

Thank you. :madman:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
VT_SNGLTRK said:
I have a Marzocchi All Mountain III on my Heckler. The front end continually feels like the headset is loose, but it's not. When the problem first started, I had the local shop pull the headset apart and reinstall it to be sure it was all tight. They replaced the star nut and said all was sound.

The problem is still there, and after continuing to ride, it seems it's coming from the fork. I checked the air pressure considering the shock has no adjustments on it, and now I'm at a loss.

How is the front wheel? skewers tighten like new or feel worn, axle not broken, bearings tight, spoke tensions good?

There was another thread about how a fast rebound makes the fork clunk at top-out but since you say you don't have this adjustment..... Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution, nothing drives me nuts like something coming loose on my bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out my "noisey All Mtn" thread... If the feeling is what I think it is, I too had that feel on my fork and added a washer to the spacers on top of the coil spring in the left leg to pre load the spring a bit more. The feel is better, but there are still other issues with my fork. I am not too stoked on Marzocchi right now...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mbuotte said:
Check out my "noisey All Mtn" thread... If the feeling is what I think it is, I too had that feel on my fork and added a washer to the spacers on top of the coil spring in the left leg to pre load the spring a bit more. The feel is better, but there are still other issues with my fork. I am not too stoked on Marzocchi right now...
Based on the info in that thread, looks like Marzocchi should be fixing or replacing these things. Did you try contacting them at all? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an AM 3 as well and Marzocchi recommends (if I remember correctly)170cc of oil in the right leg and 40 in the left. That is what I put in it when I changed the oil, but it seems like the fork isn't getting all of it's travel so I will take some oil out when I take it apart again. As far as I know there is no internal rebound adjustment. I used the "direct replacement Bomber fork oil" sold at Price Point rated at 7.5 weight instead of the stock 7 so I figured the rebound would be slower, but this oil is actually less weight than what the fork had from the factory. So next time I'm putting 10 weight oil in it.

Rumble, did you take the whole fork apart to see the spring and the cartriges? I want to know if AM 3 has internally adjustable travel - I contacted Marzocchi and they said it should have it, so they don't know exactly what's in their forks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So let me get this straight - there are spacers and top out springs, whatever, that can be switched around in order to change the travel - I've done this on an 01 Z3? This is what I meant by internally adjustable travel. Also, what brand oil did you use?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gruzovik said:
So let me get this straight - there are spacers and top out springs, whatever, that can be switched around in order to change the travel - I've done this on an 01 Z3? This is what I meant by internally adjustable travel. Also, what brand oil did you use?
There were no spacers in my AM III. It had a short negative coil on the dummy side and a long negative coil on the damper side. There were plastic spacers between each coil and top cap in my DJ II, shich I didn't use. If you have a coil AM III, you may have spacers on top. I didn't reuse the plastic spacers. I made spacers out of an old aluminum handlebar dipped in tool handle rubber.

Note: The collar on the bottoms of the rods on the AM don't tap of, they unscrew.

I used PJ1 from a motorcycle shop. Spectro is good also.

This pic shows the spacer added to the rod on top.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
VT_SNGLTRK said:

I had similar problem in one of my bike but not AM3 fork. When I intentionally do a front brake endo, slamming the brake really hard, or during grinding up on a techy steep section it felt like the headset was moving around. I did everything tht you are doing thinking that it's either headset or fork bushing. Two years later after dealing it for sooooo long I found the culprit. After talking to CK tech support. It was my damn stem and fork steer interface. I had Fox Float RLC mated with Thomson stem. For some reason that combo didn't fit secure. Don't know why but I heard many riders with Thomson stem having similar issue. I am referring to 1st generation Thomson stem with clamp shell design that secures the steer tube. I replaced with different stem (FSA) on the same fork and two year battle went away instantly. Funny thing is when I used that same Thomson stem on different fork, no issue. Go figure! Worth checking it out if you have different brand stem.

STH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.