Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 All Mountain 1 and would like to upgrade to an '07 All Mountain 1 SL. I don't have problems converting into a 20mm axel since i'm using a CrossMax XL. Is it a good move or I rather wait for the 2008 models since I've seen problems occurring at the ATA cartridge on the '07 models.

I hope people with experience with the '07 All Mountain 1 SL will be able to help me. Your inputs will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
schumi said:
I have an '06 All Mountain 1 and would like to upgrade to an '07 All Mountain 1 SL. I don't have problems converting into a 20mm axel since i'm using a CrossMax XL. Is it a good move or I rather wait for the 2008 models since I've seen problems occurring at the ATA cartridge on the '07 models.

I hope people with experience with the '07 All Mountain 1 SL will be able to help me. Your inputs will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
I believe all the problems reported with ATA concerned the 66, which is not to say there aren't problems. If you can afford to hold on to your 06 AM1, then you'll have a backup fork in case anything needs to be taken care of by Marzocchi's warranty department.

On the other hand, I don't think that there is any major improvement in ride quality with the 07 and the only benefit is the ATA. The 20mm axle does not really improve on the stiffness of the already stiff QR AM1 all that much.

_MK

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
schumi said:

I have an 05 AM1 which I converted to a AMZ1 later. I just picked up an AM1 SL, and it's without a doubt infinitly stiffer than my QR 05 AM1... I'd even say it's stiffer than my AMZ1, but that would be silly so I'l have to keep that to myself.

The forks not broken in yet so the jury's still out on damping as far as I'm concerned. But over all stiffness and feel of the fork, so far feels really great! A big improvment over the old All Mnt1, but again not in the plush department... I'll have to get back to you on that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how about new lowers???

thanks for the reply guys, one thing for sure, the 06 is crown assembly is stiffer than the 05. i've talked to Marzocchi, and asked is they have the lower assembly in stock for the 07 All Mountain 1 which is a QR20.

MK what do you think...is it waste of money, there's some surcharge with the reassembly of my fork (a la 05 ZAM1),,,or just rather stick to my current fork.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
schumi said:
thanks for the reply guys, one thing for sure, the 06 is crown assembly is stiffer than the 05. i've talked to Marzocchi, and asked is they have the lower assembly in stock for the 07 All Mountain 1 which is a QR20.

MK what do you think...is it waste of money, there's some surcharge with the reassembly of my fork (a la 05 ZAM1),,,or just rather stick to my current fork.
I don't doubt the 06 is stiffer than the 05. They have redesigned the crown and the lowers. The fork also gained 3.3mm axle-to-crown, which is a drawback, in my opinion. The 66 is shorter.

What is your goal with the upgrade? Is it a 20mm axle?

I had an 05 AM1, which I later converted to the ZAM1 and didn't notice all that much stiffness increase. The reason might be that I ran my AM1 with both on skewers as I was running a 210mm rotor and didn't want to say good bye to my front wheel during braking.

My swap was cheap as I got a Z1 with 20mm lowers, and swapped them and sold the fork. I don't think I would have paid the MSRP on the ZAM1 project.

_MK

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
schumi it seems all the ata problems are getting worked out so I would say as long as it a current order then go ahead with the 07. The new air system is much more sensitive too so that a plus.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my goal is stiffer 20mm axle

MK...yup that's my main goal, just be confident whenever i'm going down some technical descent, especially when jumping but not over 3'. the '07 all mountain 1 lowers is a good match to upgrade my QR, and it's a QR20...which really my best cheap option. what do you think???

BTW my hand is starting to get itchy to get the '07 all mountain 1 sl...but of course i need some great advices from you guys and if it is really worth doing it. jesse, do you have any clue what's going on with the ATA???

cheers!!!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
schumi said:
MK...yup that's my main goal, just be confident whenever i'm going down some technical descent, especially when jumping but not over 3'. the '07 all mountain 1 lowers is a good match to upgrade my QR, and it's a QR20...which really my best cheap option. what do you think???

BTW my hand is starting to get itchy to get the '07 all mountain 1 sl...but of course i need some great advices from you guys and if it is really worth doing it. jesse, do you have any clue what's going on with the ATA???

cheers!!!
You may want to consider a fork called Z1 SL. It is an OEM fork, but there are sources for these. It is basically the same thing as the 06 66SL, RC2 damping and doppio air with PAR and a 20mm axle in a Z1 chasis. It isn't QR20, but the damping is superior to the bladder damping and it is a bit shorter axle to crown than the AM1.

_MK

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you but with an 05 AM1 instead of 06. I want to convert to 20mm for stiffness and I'm extremely reluctant to go with an air fork, I'm addicted to coil feel. I also have some reluctance to go over 5lbs on the fork since my bike is used for everything from XC with a lot of climbing to very technical singletrack and even light DH. For that reason I'm mostly decided on going with the 07 Nixon Elite, coil and 20mm but not QR20 which is bit of a bummer but one I can live with.

schumi said:

cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well really nothing is changing its just the detent springs come too loose and you need to adjust them tighter. It takes a little playing with but you need them as tight as possible without binding then it will not self adjust down.

Also I have been playing around with using rocco adjust knob springs (there stiffer) and it seems more positive so they may be another way for people to go. However I rode today and it kinda adjusted down with the rocco springs (when it didnt once I got the ata springs adjusted right) but I will play with the tension a little more before I decide which springs to use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah it's worthed

Hi , I was in the same situation, I just changed my AM1 05 for the AM SL1!
I did it mainly becouse of ATA, a bit becouse of the QR20 and a bit for the more travel and better sensitivity over small bumps!
allthough I just sent my SL1 back becouse the ATA knob was turning by itself decreasing the travel, I'm totally havy with the fork . Mine is from the first series sold in europe, I think they fixed this problem by now!
anyway it's winter now so I can wait for 2 weeks but I'm sure It'll work f´great afterwords!
if you have the cash go for the SL1 !!
greets Dan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
07 All Mountain 1 lower assembly

hey guys thanks for the replies. yesterday went to Marzocchi USA headquarters and bought an 07 All Mountain 1 (black) lower assembly to replace my 06 All Mountain 1 lower assembly (ala frankenfork). i'm really stoked with my decision...saved a lot of money instead of getting an 07 AM1/SL (i still prefer the air/coil combo). purchased their QR20, some decals. serviced my ETA/TAS & TST for new oil. did everything all in one. the sad thing was i wasn't able to wait 'til they finish it 'cos of time constraint with my work.

thank you very much Gideon for helping me and shipping my fork same day (ond day shipping anyways). can't wait to ride on saturday...sorry to the guys at East Coast, no offense to the weather. spring's coming soon.

enjoy riding!!!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
schumi said:
hey guys thanks for the replies. yesterday went to Marzocchi USA headquarters and bought an 07 All Mountain 1 (black) lower assembly to replace my 06 All Mountain 1 lower assembly (ala frankenfork). i'm really stoked with my decision...saved a lot of money instead of getting an 07 AM1/SL (i still prefer the air/coil combo). purchased their QR20, some decals. serviced my ETA/TAS & TST for new oil. did everything all in one. the sad thing was i wasn't able to wait 'til they finish it 'cos of time constraint with my work.

thank you very much Gideon for helping me and shipping my fork same day (ond day shipping anyways). can't wait to ride on saturday...sorry to the guys at East Coast, no offense to the weather. spring's coming soon.

enjoy riding!!!
Thanks for the info... how much are the 07 lowers ?~?

·
Registered
31 Posts
schumi said:

enjoy riding!!!
I would like to see some pics of the finished product! Maybe some pics of the process too. I have a All Mountain 2 eta, do you know if the 07 AM 1 lowers would work with mine?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'll post the pics tonight. finished installing my fork around 1230am...valentine's day responsiblity (with my family). mr. AM, it cost me $135 for the lowers alone. but all in all i paid $230 for the labor (installation, new wipers, ETA/TAS/TST oil change, decals, QR20)& taxes/S&H.

btw...marzocchi techs are using different viscosity on their TST cartridge. it's my second oil change with them, the first one is under warranty. but ETA/TAS & right leg lubrication is still their 7.5wt oil.

jesse's right...as long as it's an 06 model, u won't have any problems 'cos they have identical crowns.

later guys...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
schumi said:
i'll post the pics tonight. finished installing my fork around 1230am...valentine's day responsiblity (with my family). mr. AM, it cost me $135 for the lowers alone. but all in all i paid $230 for the labor (installation, new wipers, ETA/TAS/TST oil change, decals, QR20)& taxes/S&H.

btw...marzocchi techs are using different viscosity on their TST cartridge. it's my second oil change with them, the first one is under warranty. but ETA/TAS & right leg lubrication is still their 7.5wt oil.

jesse's right...as long as it's an 06 model, u won't have any problems 'cos they have identical crowns.

later guys...
Thanks schumi :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I've got a 10mm solid bolt-on axle on mine, but I will buy the 07 lowers later this year.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]
And that different viscosity oil is ???????:confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pix

here's the product!!!:thumbsup: just mind the pix, it was shot at night time right after work.

viscosity of TST hmmm...i have to check the receipt, can't find it. ask the experts too or call marzocchi for better info,,,can't post here something that i'm not sure what viscosity. but for sure they use a diff one...i'll show you the receipt once it's on my hand.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.