Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
derby said:
Very cool evolution. I'm guessing you avoid smooth fireroad :)
Yeah... even making smooth fireroads, the gain over rough terrain over the TST makes worthy to use the HSCV instead.

It dives a bit more and bobs more, but I don't care... suspension soo smooth to be believed over the rough.

For fireroads, you have the ETA. ;)

Now, this is my ideal fork!!! :thumbsup:

I'll have to buy one of those HSCV carts...

· carpe mañana
7,319 Posts
Warp said:
Yeah... even making smooth fireroads, the gain over rough terrain over the TST makes worthy to use the HSCV instead.

It dives a bit more and bobs more, but I don't care... suspension soo smooth to be believed over the rough.

For fireroads, you have the ETA. ;)

Now, this is my ideal fork!!! :thumbsup:

I'll have to buy one of those HSCV carts...
Nice work. Have you put any time on the Z1FR2 before the swap? I was curious if that SSV cart in the left leg inhibited the HSCV in high speed situations? To be more exact, I was wondering if the orifices in the SSV cart needed to be drilled bigger? Or if they were already drilled big to prevent any form of hydrolock and the cartridge essentially functions as extension monitor.

_MK

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MK_ said:
Nice work. Have you put any time on the Z1FR2 before the swap? I was curious if that SSV cart in the left leg inhibited the HSCV in high speed situations? To be more exact, I was wondering if the orifices in the SSV cart needed to be drilled bigger? Or if they were already drilled big to prevent any form of hydrolock and the cartridge essentially functions as extension monitor.

_MK
No, bro!! No time on the Z1 before the swap.

Donor is borrowed.

My buddy told me it was feeling too harsh but mind you that he had it oversprung for a while and when we made the oil change, it looked like West Texas Crude. He hasn't used it after the oil change as he got a 66RC2X.

I could pull out the SSV, but have not a "normal" SSV to compare.

If anything, you could go for lighter oil in that leg and call it a day. Leave all the damping duties to the HSCV.

On a side note..
ETA has some effect on the rebound... but not on the compression. Piston has large drill-outs and has a blow-off valve. But the preload spring on the blow-off is almost neglectible as it's too soft. So, in compression the blow-off opens and allows complete flow.

In rebound the blow-off closes and all oil is metered through an orifice on the shaft while the ETA is disengaged. Engage ETA and the orifice closes, neglecting ALL oil flow.

· Registered
73 Posts
Nice mod Warp. Since you have played with these forks I'd have a few questions for you (or anyone else how has some Marzocchi knowledge).

What I'm looking for is a relativele light 130mm fork for trail riding with best possible damping characteristics with no travel adjustmets or any other extra features.
So this is what I have in my mind:
-Marzocchi AM uppers and lowers
-One side HSCV cartridge and a coil spring(?) to take care of all suspension action.
-Other leg SSV damping tuned not to affect damping and minimum amount of oil only for lubrication to save weight.

I think that basically this would be a Marzocchi equivalent to Fox Vanilla R.

Do you think this would be possible and what forks would be the best to have for the project? I'm thinking about using 05 All Mountain (AM 1, 2 or 3 I don't know?) fork and taking the HSCV cartridge and SSV parts from a 05 Z1 FR2.

Anyone know if the upper and lower legs in AM1, AM2 and AM3 are the same or are the AM1 parts machined lighter?

And what about making an air sprung model using HSCV cartridge in AM SL??

I'm open to all ideas, thoughts and concerns.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TeXe said:
Nice mod Warp. Since you have played with these forks I'd have a few questions for you (or anyone else how has some Marzocchi knowledge).

What I'm looking for is a relativele light 130mm fork for trail riding with best possible damping characteristics with no travel adjustmets or any other extra features.
So this is what I have in my mind:
-Marzocchi AM uppers and lowers
-One side HSCV cartridge and a coil spring(?) to take care of all suspension action.
-Other leg SSV damping tuned not to affect damping and minimum amount of oil only for lubrication to save weight.

I think that basically this would be a Marzocchi equivalent to Fox Vanilla R.

Do you think this would be possible and what forks would be the best to have for the project? I'm thinking about using 05 All Mountain (AM 1, 2 or 3 I don't know?) fork and taking the HSCV cartridge and SSV parts from a 05 Z1 FR2.

Anyone know if the upper and lower legs in AM1, AM2 and AM3 are the same or are the AM1 parts machined lighter?

And what about making an air sprung model using HSCV cartridge in AM SL??

I'm open to all ideas, thoughts and concerns.
Get a Z1 from '04 if possible.... they were 130mm, had HSCV and you can dump the ETA in favor of a modded SSV

Otherwise you need a HSCV cart from a Z1 and a cheapo AM3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.