Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i'm frustrated.
Made a full Service on my 888 but the Rebound still shows no function. Filled 220ml in each side . Cartridge was not broke internal and the knobs are clicking and turning smoothly.
Got the cartridge out again today got out all the oil and put everything together. Filled in 20ml more and tested without spring and get a good damping But after putting everything together there no change in rebound anymore.
Can't figure out where the issue is and hope anyone here can help.

Any known fix for this?? Thanks in regard.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
Those are pretty simple cartridges, either there's an air-bubble in the cart itself (but no reason it wouldn't work itself out pretty fast) or it's not enough oil. What oil table reference are you using to fill it?

Those carts do tend to circulate sludge pretty well, so it's possible the piston ports may be blocked or some crazy thing. In that case, there's no way to service it, the cartridges and pistons are not serviceable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bled the Cartridge as advised.
Got the amount of oil from the Marzocchi workshop.
First tried 220ml and now got 240ml in the leg cartridge is fully covered.
Everything seems fine and without spring I can get a plush rebound around half way of the stroke of the rod.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
What oil are you using? Can't guess if it's a bad bleed or incorrect oil weight.

Bleeding is pretty straight forward, make sure fork is fully compressed cartridge installed and compress and extend the cartridge fully up and down like 20 times. You can lower or increase the rebound as you go and see if that helps any more but I've never had to do that on the Marzocchi's I've rebuilt. The trick is only stopping when you have consistent rebound force throughout the entire stroke of the rod, sometimes tipping the fork just a bit can help dislodge any air trapped. If you can't get consistant rebound throughout the stroke, it isn't going to work right.

Depending on the model you might have to remove the top cap to remove the spring to cycle the cartridge, but that's easy enough...

Assuming it's a 2006 220ml is correct.

My guess would be the oil is too light, might say 7.5W but if the CST is too low, it won't interact with the shims correctly.

I had the opposite problem, I assumed Motorex Racing 7.5W would be a better alternative to Golden Spectro 125/150 7.5W (Stock Marzocchi oil). The CST for stock Marzocchi oil is 26.4, Motorex is 35.9. The rebound was too slow, couldn't get the fork to rebound fast enough fully open. Ended up with a roughly 66% Golden Spectro 7.5W & 33% Motorex (I was too lazy to bleed the cartridge) and it's great.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
My guess would be the oil is too light, might say 7.5W but if the CST is too low, it won't interact with the shims correctly.
There are no shims, rebound is a port orifice.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right. Evo V2 was the rebound shim.... Anyway if the oil is too light it's the classic hotdog down a hallway scenario.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
Bled the Cartridge as advised.
Got the amount of oil from the Marzocchi workshop.
First tried 220ml and now got 240ml in the leg cartridge is fully covered.
Everything seems fine and without spring I can get a plush rebound around half way
of the stroke of the rod.
Try looking here too: '06 888 RC2X oil level

That seems to indicate that you didn't have enough oil, the cartridge must be completely covered, you cycle it several times to ensure this is the case, and then oil height on top of that can be adjusted for bottom-out. Oil height was always the alternative, but it was a bit difficult to measure. This seems to indicate you are on the right track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah measuring the Oil Level is a bit tricky but possible ;).
Ok so i will try to remove the Cartridge again later on, check all the ports n stuff and then set the oil Level to aprox 190mm, and will give u a Feedback!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lil update.
Got the Cartridge completely out and checked everything.
Can't find any issues or Brocken orings etc.
Filled the lowers up to 190mm from the top and again with the Spring out I got a resistance within the stroke but as soon as I screw the inner rod a bit out there is no resistance.
So I think anything is wrong Los or broken in the Cartridge.
Compression ist good and has an effect when changing settings in the dial.
But rebound ist off duty 😭a

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
I can think of a couple of possibilities - unfortunately it might not be fixable

- the rebound piston is unscrewing itself inside the cart. This was pretty common, the piston in one cartridge would unscrew, and then the other cartridge was now responsible for all the top out duties, and would quickly snap off = two broken carts 😞

- the glide ring on the piston doubles as the check valve, and if it’s worn or slightly out of size, it will create a leak path.

-debris stuck in the base valve. This jams the check valve but usually results in losing both compression and rebound damping as the cartridge dumps all the oil out but can’t refill properly

Sadly the first 2 aren’t very fixable - you could try heavier oil and see if there much difference, but if you can feel a knock/lag in changing direction then the cart is definitely on its way out

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right. Evo V2 was the rebound shim....
The 888 never had shimmed rebound….this is my issue with the way media speculate in press releases! Someone didn’t understand the tech properly and now 10 years later people still think the V2 cart had something it didn’t……

V2 was just a sprung check valve to replace the glide ring check valve, it allowed for faster damper response and eliminated knocking as the fork changed direction

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.