Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to change the oil on my newish (ebay) 888RC this weekend and found that all of set screws on the damper caps and the top caps of the fork are siezed. I stripped (rounded) the allen key holes on the damper knobs and the set screws on the top caps will strip if i twist any harder on them. I am to the point of having the drill them and try an easy out.

I would like to use a drill press but the fork is too bulky. I am wondering exactly what the set screws in the side of the top cap "nuts" do. If the top cap is rotated with the set screws tight will it strip something or wil it just rotate the cartidges around with the top cap? If possible I would like to remove the cap/cartridges from the fork so I could use a drill press instead of a hand drill.

Is there anybody out there that has recently removed the caps and can see whats going on in there? Anybody happen to have a photo of the interface? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Go-Ride site has good info. If it's anything like the 66R then the set-screws in the sides of the top-caps hold in a spring and ball that give you the "click" stops. If you loosen that set-screw, it takes pressure off of the spring-and-ball and makes the knob easier to turn. If you take it all the way out--make sure you don't loose the small parts.

You can pull the top-caps loose from the stanchions w/o removing the knobs. Just make sure you start with the adjuster turned to the middle of the range and then every few turns of the top-cap, screw it back in some (or at least make sure it isn't binding somewhere). I think if you loosen the top caps a bunch without doing that it will eventually unscrew the little damper rod. I could be wrong but I didn't want to experiment and break something.

For a spring change, I'm not sure how the top-caps come off w/o removing the knobs first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.