Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great fork.

Been riding a 2010 for a bit and I am thoroughly impressed.

I've had several Marzocchis, but I took a break through 08/09 and rode a Totem.

I still have a 2006 888 RC2X that is going strong. Love that fork and it's adjustability.

My Totem was getting pretty beat and needed a bunch of new parts. I really liked that fork-it was the stiffest single crown I've been on. But, with the amount of time and $$$ required for a full rebuild. getting a new fork was an easy decision.

The 2010 66 Ti RC3 is a much better feeling fork than the Totem, and like a lot of Marzocchi's stuff, is hugely "tuneable" via the standard adjustments.

Fork is stiff, the through axle design is great, and the 3 year warranty is killer.

Tracks great. Small bump compliance is awesome. Doesn't have any harsh/abrupt bottom out feeling when using full travel. Air assist is simple and effective.

Still need to put some more miles on it, but it appears to be everything that was good about Marzocchi in prior years.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
I'd agree with this assessment. I've had mine for about two months now and like it quite a bit so far. I'd like it to be a little more active/plush in the mid-stroke but it is stiff and bottoomless. The initial inch or two is butter. I've heard that removing a bit of oil from the damper side may help the mid-stoke.

I just posted up a short mini-review over in the Knolly forum. Here.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm curious.....where do you guys set your rebound? I saw a vid on marzocchis website on setup for the 66 rc3 and they recommend the ideal speed to be 7 clicks away from as slow as it can go but based on your review krob, you seem to run it fast and like it.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running 12psi air assist, rebound is set so it is two clicks slower than the setting that results in top out "clunk".

I leave rebound at a setting that works for most riding, but will only be a few clicks away from slowing the rebound down to a setting I like for stunts and drops.

Compression is about midway through the adjustment range.

5 clicks of preload on the spring.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Norcoshore1 said:
I'm curious.....where do you guys set your rebound? I saw a vid on marzocchis website on setup for the 66 rc3 and they recommend the ideal speed to be 7 clicks away from as slow as it can go but based on your review krob, you seem to run it fast and like it.
I think it may have been late when I posted that. I run the compression one click from fully open and the rebound is 4-5 clicks out from full slow I believe. I'll have to go count.

·
Registered
543 Posts
KRob said:
I think it may have been late when I posted that. I run the compression one click from fully open and the rebound is 4-5 clicks out from full slow I believe. I'll have to go count.
Yeah I just got a bit confused when you said you are running it almost all the way out. Maybe you meant almost as slow as it could go as opposed to fast. Anyway heres the vid I was talking about if you want a few tips on setup:

As for my setup, I have no compression, no coil preload, and no air assist and the rebound is set like it says to in the video for now but I have to ride a bit more to get it figured out.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Norcoshore1 said:
Yeah I just got a bit confused when you said you are running it almost all the way out. Maybe you meant almost as slow as it could go as opposed to fast.
No, I just misspoke. Like I said it was late. I'm actually running rebound at about 5 clicks out from fully closed/slow. I'll speed it up a couple clicks for faster choppier descents and slow it down a click or two for slow chunky tech and drops. I went ahead and edited my other post to reflect that.

Norcoshore1 said:
As for my setup, I have no compression, no coil preload, and no air assist and the rebound is set like it says to in the video for now but I have to ride a bit more to get it figured out.
How much do you weigh? Sounds like our setups are pretty similar.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would guess I am around 145ish or so if that fully geared up so pretty light. I have to run it that way in order for it to be soft enough at my weight so I pretty much only have to worry about rebound settings. I would probably be totally lost if I weighed a bit more and had 3 other settings to deal with so I guess in some respects I am quite lucky! :D

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Norcoshore1 said:
I would guess I am around 145ish or so if that fully geared up so pretty light. I have to run it that way in order for it to be soft enough at my weight so I pretty much only have to worry about rebound settings. I would probably be totally lost if I weighed a bit more and had 3 other settings to deal with so I guess in some respects I am quite lucky! :D
I thought I was light. I'm 160 (170-175 geared up). You might want to consider trying to get some negative air pressure in the air assist chamber if you're still looking for a little more plushness. Someone on the other thread mention he does that and I was considering trying it even at my weight.

You can order a lighter spring too if you need to.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Negative air? I've never heard of that.....I thought you could only do positive air and make it stiffer. I sent an email to marzocchi asking them about tuning for a lighter rider. I asked about maybe getting a lighter spring and heres what I got:

"You have three options to make your fork feel softer. Yes, you can let out all air in the fork, this function is considered "Air Assist" and is only required if you find the fork to soft. If this is still to stiff, you could lower the oil height, as this will make the fork feel softer. (this should be attempted by your local bike dealer.)

Last of all, you could remove the coil spring and just use the air assist function as the primary spring.

Your local bike shop should be able to help you out with these adjustments."

So I take that you must not be able to get springs for this fork I guess

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Norcoshore1 said:
So I take that you must not be able to get springs for this fork I guess
According to Marzocchi, there are different springs available.

Depending on who you speak with at Marzocchi, you may get different answers.

I asked two times.

First time was 'Only one spring."

Second time involved a bit of a search, but they confirmed availbility of at least a firm Ti Spring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am a light rider (150 suited up) and had a few issues with my 66 which I got completely sorted.

I am running the light coil (definitely available) with a lesser amount of oil in the damper side.

I followed Gideon's (from Marzocchi) advice and measured the oil height to 60mm from the top of the crown with the damper rod fully extended and the fork fully compressed. I now get full travel with extreme plushness (is that a word?). He said that there's a possibility that during very rough riding the damper might be affected by the lesser oil level, but I've not experienced any of that.

·
Professional Troll
2,753 Posts
I can tell you with 100% accuracy (I'm looking at the official Marzocchi spring list for 2010 forks) that they are supposed to have 3 springs available for the 66 RC3 ti. 1 stiffer and 1 softer than stock. Spring constants are 4.4, 5.5 (stock), and 6.5. Whether or not they have those in stock is a different story.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
Good that I'm not hearing about many problems with current production Marzocchi product. Seems like they had some poo on their shoe for a while. I just picked up a '10 RC3 Ti for a Nomad c build. I've been on Zokies ~ 12 years, but haven't bought a new one since the '05 Z1FR, and it's still going strong. Hoping my new 66 runs as good as my other Zokies have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.