Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie and just purchased a Iron Horse 7point7 and have several questions on set-uping the Marzocchi 66 RC2X that came on it.

I'm 190lbs, ride in hardpack desert (SW Idaho) predominately. Want a plush but responsive ride. Speeds no faster than 20mph and drops 6' max.

1. What is the stock spring weight in the forks, and is it to light for my weight? If so, what spring should I go to?

2. How much sag should I be set-up for (recognize the springs will do this).

3. The forks have air valves on each leg, is this to set pre-load vs new spring or set set the ride characteristics?

4. How much, if any, air should I have in each leg (currently set at 0psi)?

Thanks in advance for your help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I weigh 195lb. Run Belray 7wt. oil no air all compression backed off. There are no additional spring rates, air assist only. Set your rebound and take it for a spin w/ no air or compression then adjust as needed.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
abibb said:
I'm a newbie and just purchased a Iron Horse 7point7 and have several questions on set-uping the Marzocchi 66 RC2X that came on it.

I'm 190lbs, ride in hardpack desert (SW Idaho) predominately. Want a plush but responsive ride. Speeds no faster than 20mph and drops 6' max.

1. What is the stock spring weight in the forks, and is it to light for my weight? If so, what spring should I go to?

2. How much sag should I be set-up for (recognize the springs will do this).

3. The forks have air valves on each leg, is this to set pre-load vs new spring or set set the ride characteristics?

4. How much, if any, air should I have in each leg (currently set at 0psi)?

Thanks in advance for your help:thumbsup:
I recommend you start reading the manual right away, before using your new bike.
If it didn't come with the bike you can download it from Marzocchi
The point of air assisted forks is to avoid the need to change spring weigh to adapt to the rider.
The air settings for the different chambers are listed in the manual.
To be honest I find the 2007 manual a little confusing as it does not address each model individually (as before) but just the features one by one.

Regarding compression and rebound settings, you will have to play and experiment with that. Don't be afraid to turn knobs and find out what happens (just ride carefully)
It really depends what terrain are you riding and how you are riding it.
Forks tune-up is a journey, not a destination :p
ZT

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
As far as air pressure goes, friends your weight generally run 5 to 10 pump strokes each side. That's the small Marzocchi shock pump. It's not much pressure, and may not even show on the gauge, but it stiffens the fork up very noticeably.

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
Well, here's how I set mine up. I weigh around 220 w/gear, and ride the rocky trails of the AZ desert.

I put one pump, of my shock pump, in each fork leg. Yes, one downward stroke of the pump is all you need to start with. The air pressure makes huge differences, in the stiffness of the fork. Go slowly, and miserly, with this adjustment. Put in too much air, and it'll ride like a board. Forget about the new springs.

Compression. Start with the knob 4 clicks out from fully open, or zero compression damping.

Rebound. I went 6 clicks out from fully open, than backed it off to about 4, on my first ride.

Bottom out compresssion. I run mine at 2-3 clicks from zero. you'll be surprised at how well this adjustment works. Start at 4 clicks, go from there.

You're pretty much gonna have to ride it, to dial it in, but I think this is what you were after, some baseline numbers. Oh yeah, it only gets better, as it gets broken in, so don't sweat the adjustments too much, until you've a couple rides on it.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
.Danno. said:
As far as air pressure goes, friends your weight generally run 5 to 10 pump strokes each side. That's the small Marzocchi shock pump. It's not much pressure, and may not even show on the gauge, but it stiffens the fork up very noticeably.
Sure your freinds have any oil in there forks :eekster: 5-10 strokes is going to really make that fork stiff. I weigh 195lb. with Belray 7wt (Belray is slightly heavier than a Golden Spectro) And don't have to run any air.

·
man a vehicle
8 Posts
yeah i think those are good settings to start with. I weigh a buck n a half with gear and Im even running a bit of air (one stroke i think) but thats for jumping and overall aggressive riding -drops doubles etc. Ill have to try that 7wt oil when I change mine. Ive been running the compression and the bottom out about halfway on each.
cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.