Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HotHB
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking of this uprgade, it would take me from a 145 air to a 180 coil. Can the Reign 2 handle this?

Also, what size is the steer tube on the Reign, 1 1/8 inches?

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Yeah, you can run it but the 66 is a hell of alotta fork, travel and weight wise. I prefer to keep the front and rear travel somewhat close so I stick to 160mm. I run an '07 All Mountain 1 (the coil version) on my '05 Reign and it still feels like a ton of fork to me. And yeah, it's a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

It looks like for 08 the All Mountain line is getting replaced by a new fork and it looks interesting. It sounds like it's supposed to have all the features of the 66 with a little less travel and less weight, may be a better fit to a Reign.

Here's the press release

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have been running a 2007 66 RC2X on my reign X1. it blows that fox 36 out of the water! It maybe alittle too tall for your application though. stick with a 55!

·
attending to my vices
460 Posts
get a super monster!

I think a 66 will be too much fork unless your sole interest is agro downhilling. It would defeat the versatility of the reign.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm on a reign X1 (only for a week so far) and I'm prob 80% lift access / FR'ing and 20% pedaling. I went with the X1 b/c I thought it was enough for my type of riding and I thought the Glory FR was a little overkill for me. All that aside I stepped up from the fox 36 to a Totem solo air and I'm loving the feel of it so far. As per my riding style I haven't done any climbing on it yet, but as far as FR and light DH the geo is spot on.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Dude_Here said:
I'm on a reign X1 (only for a week so far) and I'm prob 80% lift access / FR'ing and 20% pedaling. I went with the X1 b/c I thought it was enough for my type of riding and I thought the Glory FR was a little overkill for me. All that aside I stepped up from the fox 36 to a Totem solo air and I'm loving the feel of it so far. As per my riding style I haven't done any climbing on it yet, but as far as FR and light DH the geo is spot on.
I'm thinking the same thing, but would want to be able to dial the fork down from 180mm for climbs. It climbs fine with the Van36, but a taller fork would get tippy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts