Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering a Marz 66 Light ETA for my bike. I have been making more trips to the downhill runs and would like a little more fork than my Pike. I have been reading as much as I can about this fork but haven't found all my answers. My big question is, do I need to change the coil spring to adjust to my body weight? I realize I can add air to the one leg but does that compensate for the overall fork. I weigh 230 lbs with gear and usually I need the heavier coil springs. I am not hard on equipment. I try to ride as "light" as possible (ie. picking good lines and not having the huevos for big drops) but I am not a small person either. I read the Owners Manual online and did not see the info I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
no need to change the coil as far as i know.. if you bottom it out easy, just change the oil to a higher viscosity, and adjust sag with air preload in the right leg.

i'm 215 without gear
i run it with stock spring/oil, but with a few extra pumps in the air preload chamber
so far so good

lets wait for Jayem to chime in, he's had a bunch of miles on his already, and has some great insight about tuning and setup of the fork.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
blender said:
no need to change the coil as far as i know.. if you bottom it out easy, just change the oil to a higher viscosity, and adjust sag with air preload in the right leg.

i'm 215 without gear
i run it with stock spring/oil, but with a few extra pumps in the air preload chamber
so far so good

lets wait for Jayem to chime in, he's had a bunch of miles on his already, and has some great insight about tuning and setup of the fork.
me the same thing but 220 with gear.....i run the stock spring and just turn up the compression just a tad......I wouldn't change the oil until you try it.......this fork is the main reason why I switching from a Shiver to an 888RC2x....because it is a very impressive fork

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203577

·
Registered
57 Posts
telepathy

stew said:
I am seriously considering a Marz 66 Light ETA for my bike. I have been making more trips to the downhill runs and would like a little more fork than my Pike. I have been reading as much as I can about this fork but haven't found all my answers. My big question is, do I need to change the coil spring to adjust to my body weight? I realize I can add air to the one leg but does that compensate for the overall fork. I weigh 230 lbs with gear and usually I need the heavier coil springs. I am not hard on equipment. I try to ride as "light" as possible (ie. picking good lines and not having the huevos for big drops) but I am not a small person either. I read the Owners Manual online and did not see the info I was looking for. Thanks for your help.
Stinking telepathic! I was just looking on marz's site for the same thing and I weigh 230 in gear. No joke. Oh is the 06 rc2x as easily adjusted from 150mm to 170mm as the 05 66 rc? Is it the same way (ie. moving the spacers)?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,966 Posts
blender said:
If you bottom out, adjust the oil level height as per the manual.

I think it will work fine for a 230lb rider. At about 200lbs riding weight, I only need to put in about 10-12psi to get the right sag.

The fork should be plenty adjustable for the original poster, no problem IMO. I wouldn't change to heavier oil untill you ride it for a while, you might decide that you like the high speed performance that you get with less damping (the fork is able to react faster at high speed and doesn't "pack up). Even at 200lbs, I usually put 5wt oil in my marzocchis for this reason. You have to compramise somewhat, and I'd rather the high speed performance of the fork be where it performs best.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,966 Posts
duncanish said:
Stinking telepathic! I was just looking on marz's site for the same thing and I weigh 230 in gear. No joke. Oh is the 06 rc2x as easily adjusted from 150mm to 170mm as the 05 66 rc? Is it the same way (ie. moving the spacers)?
Does the website say that it's adjustable for travel? It's not, and you can order a 150mm version or a 170mm version depending on what is imported, but the 150mm version is not being imported for aftermarket to north america, but it is available as an OEM fork on some bikes (and some of the bike companies have it for that purpose).

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
Jayem said:
If Even at 200lbs, I usually put 5wt oil in my marzocchis for this reason. You have to compramise somewhat, and I'd rather the high speed performance of the fork be where it performs best.
I run the stock 7.5 and have no problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts