Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Unless you run it at 160mm, it's going to slack the hell out of the bike, and raise the BB up even more.

FYI: it'll also void your warranty. The 55/36/Lyrik is a much better suited fork for the Enduro. Lyrik Solo Air IMO is a rockin' fork for the front of the Enduro/Pitch line.

That, and the 08 66 ATA has been plagued with problems.

·
Registered
540 Posts
yeah that E150 should be able to take a lot of abuse. Changing it is a waste of money unless you hate it or will be doing full DH or some serious hucking. In that case, you'd need a whole new bike anyway. Get some stronger wheels, a bash guard, and tires that give you confidence.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
iguanabartola said:
Hi There! Check this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=385322

I have only changed wheel-set on my SL for stronger ones and love it!!!!:thumbsup: Strong enough for light DH and light enough for XC.
Yeah, and if you don't want to have to trawl through that whole thread, there's a link in my signature to my bike page, see below....has the full build details in its current state (the thread that Iguana talks about is about my build over time, basically). I basically built my SL for light DH/FR duty, so check it out for any further ideas....

Based on the changes you have done so far, I would say stronger rims and maybe tougher tires (can't really see what you are running there). I run mine with the Minion DH version (DHF/DHR combo) on Halo Freedom Rims - only good things to say about all that!

Do you like the Air DHX in the rear? I run the coil version, it is really awesome, and works great on the SL, just in case you feel the air version is still a bit stiff.....(I had mine custom-valved by TF Tuned in the UK, basically to add extra bottom out resistance...that way I can run it quite soft, no propedal, and still have enough to soak up the big hits).

Upgrading the brakes was another major winner for me. So much more confidence doing aggressive DH riding when you have finger-tip control over lots of breaking power. I went with Code 2008.

The fork....I wouldn't change it. Its great for light DH (in it's category). I've ridden plenty of other forks, including the 66, and the fork is not what is holding the SL back (as long as it is working - in my case, touch wood, it's been great ever since I swapped the internals for the 08 stuff). The 66 feels a bit smoother over really rough sections, but for me, its more of a freeride fork - it soaks up hits nicely, but does not really track as well in turns. Not saying the 66 is a bad fork (it's not), just pointing out that the e150 is really stiff and works great for cornering as well as jumps, and it is well balanced for the SL frame.
The original shock does handicap you in the rough a bit, but you are already on the DHX air so you might have solved that problem.

Hope that helped a little. Just for the extra SL ride-stoke, here's a link to a small video - me yesterday hitting a sizable step down...probably around 28-30 feet in the air (I walked off the distance). BTW you can see another kicker next to the take off that I hit, which probably makes that jump about 35-38 feet....I'm planning to hit that next week. The SL is such a good jumper...its a pure pleasure. :cool:

http://www.icemandrums.com/Tzubike_big_DH_gap.wmv

:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.