Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Marzocchi 55 CR and while very smooth the AER air spring seems to give a whole new meaning to the term linear spring rate. So where do I need to add more oil to make the curve more progressive?

·
Registered
317 Posts
On top of the air piston. Easiest way is to let the air out, unscrew the air valve and pour it in through the top. Start with small amounts, maybe 2-3ml. I put in about 6ml and it was too progressive for me. Had to take most of it out. Re-set your PSI to your desired sag, it will probably be a few PSI less.

Another mod I enjoyed is to carefully pry up the dust wipers and put a bunch of marine grease or slick honey under them. The 55CR's are sealed to the max, so not a lot of oil gets up onto the stanchions and they can get a little sticky on small bumps.

Hope this helps, I am really loving this fork.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Kiwi,

For reference, I am running mine in 150mm travel mode and I have it at 80 psi, weighing 102kg (225 lbs). That gives me just a tad under 30% sag.

If you run it in 170 mode, the PSI will be different. Marzocchi's website tries to show the different PSI ranges for both travel settings but the presentation is really bad and it makes no sense. If you're getting 25-30% sag and only bottoming out on big hits, you're probably close on the PSI.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just for reference, i weigh in at 195-200 with my camel bak, I am running about 100 psi along with 3-4 clicks of LSC pending how the trail is.

Also I have my 55CR set at 160mm of travel.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Running mine at 150mm as well. I tend to run 1-2 clicks of compression, that seems plenty for me, maybe because I'm relatively light?

Idaho, did you get a custom size spacer? I know Marz were thing about doing a 10mm spacer, but thought they were still only available in the 20mm size.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They do not have a 10mm spacer. What I did was I took the spacer off, cut the middle 10mm out of it so both sides can still clip in place on the cartridge, then sanded both sides of the cut smooth so they come together perfectly flat. I called Marzocchi tech support to make sure this was kosher and they said it sure was. They said I may experience some "clicking" (which I haven't at all) and that's how the old spacers used to be, stacked on top of each other.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Running mine at 150mm as well. I tend to run 1-2 clicks of compression, that seems plenty for me, maybe because I'm relatively light?
I go back and forth between wide open and one click in. Each click makes a big difference. Anything past 3 is near unrideable to me.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I go back and forth between wide open and one click in. Each click makes a big difference. Anything past 3 is near unrideable to me.
Good for long fire road climbs though, but yeah, I find that anything above 3-4 clicks makes for a very harsh ride.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm quite curious as to why my settings are so much different. I'm at 160mm, 100 psi and 5 clicks of compression....?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I weigh 195 geared up for riding, was running 80 psi which put me at less than 30% sag and had the ability to bottom it out riding around the yard. I added about 10ml to the air cartridge and it comes about 5mm away from bottom out on really big hits now. This allows me to run 75 psi and get proper sag. I also run 3-4 clicks of compression. I figure the extra 5mm will get used on an unexpected big hit at speed. This fork is amazing out on the trail, and feels damn near as supple as the 44 rc3 I had before it. It definitely feels more controlled and more consistent.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Idaho, 4-5 clicks seems way to much. So does 100 psi. Did you set sag with the compression knob full-open? If not, try that. Also, what sag % are you getting?

I'm guessing you should be at 75-85 psi, given your weight and travel setting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts