Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
were do you find the tech paper on taking apart the fork and air pressure settings, i think my fork set at 120mm it looks short i wanna take out the spacer if its in there. what your measurement of the nickle plated stactions fully extended? im getting about 5 inches but i can see that when i pull up on the bars i get a little more...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
forget about my last post i put air in it for my weight and now its measuring 5.5 inches on the stanchions... sorry i had senior moment, thanks anyway! someone should still a tech paper on how to take her apart though...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Marzoochi hasn't been the same company for years now. Can't believe you guys are willing to pay the price of two forks to mod this one.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
thaphillips said:
Marzoochi hasn't been the same company for years now. Can't believe you guys are willing to pay the price of two forks to mod this one.
The mod. is not for the very expensive 44 Micro Ti. Rather it is for the 44 TST2 which is well priced at $389 and could be a great fork with the mod. fitted.

Ronnie.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Ronnie said:
The mod. is not for the very expensive 44 Micro Ti. Rather it is for the 44 TST2 which is well priced at $389 and could be a great fork with the mod. fitted.

Ronnie.
I know Marz bashing is kind of in vogue these days (and in some cases, deservedly so), but my 44 TST2 has actually been a damn fine fork for me without any mods.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
jncarpenter said:
I think it has more to do with availability. I have been waiting for them to become available for months...as it stands, it looks like I should see mine in the next couple weeks.
And previous experience... As a current Fox, Manitou and Maverick owner, I have very little need to add another fork to my stable until I'm convinced it'll be a good one. Thus far, I haven't conclusively been convinced it will.

Marzocchi has both distribution and marketing challenges, as I see it. They don't have credibility with me, nor are they available enough around here (midwestern US) for them to gain credibility.

It's a lose-lose for them... I'll never say never, but it'd take a demo fork magically arriving on my doorstep for me to give one a shot at this point. That's where I'm at with the Marzocchi.

·
2,811 Posts
jeffj said:
I know Marz bashing is kind of in vogue these days (and in some cases, deservedly so), but my 44 TST2 has actually been a damn fine fork for me without any mods.
Agreed, I've got a Marzocchi 44 Micro TST 140mm Tapered on my RIP9 and it's a tremendously stiff fork, that gets 140mm of travel. At least mine is! But I'm the type that will just pull it out of the box, play with air pressure until it feels good, and ride it. I'm not the type to play with all the knobs on the top to dial in compression this and that - or tune for different bump compliance, etc.. I've been riding it all summer and it still feels really really good to me. It fact I'm tearing sidewalls on tires about every other month now and I never used to tear sidewalls! I think this fork allows me to push the bike faster in the rough chunky which must be harder on the tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Bike looks good, but you're missing a watter bottle screw, and what's with the crazy long brake hose?

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
2melow said:
Agreed, I've got a Marzocchi 44 Micro TST 140mm Tapered on my RIP9 and it's a tremendously stiff fork, that gets 140mm of travel. At least mine is! But I'm the type that will just pull it out of the box, play with air pressure until it feels good, and ride it. I'm not the type to play with all the knobs on the top to dial in compression this and that - or tune for different bump compliance, etc.. I've been riding it all summer and it still feels really really good to me. It fact I'm tearing sidewalls on tires about every other month now and I never used to tear sidewalls! I think this fork allows me to push the bike faster in the rough chunky which must be harder on the tires.
Now that's a good recommendation! If you're pushing it harder than you were pushin' it before, that's a good product... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a Micro Ti TST tapered version and like it so far after a few rides. I've heard that some people think the small bump response is poor but I think that is with the TST2 version or a defective Micro Ti. I weigh 170 and am running 50psi with the damping full open so far.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
I'm interested in any updates any folks might have about these forks. Anything new?

If I modded a TST2 and lost the lockout, how bad would it bob when I stood and hammered? I'm considering this for my Simon Bar hardtail.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
i think its a great fork, been riding mine the past few days and she is plush, i dont know why people are saying she doesnt have small bump sensitivity, mine does... very plush, more than the rear on my wfo, and the wfo is plush....but im still messing with the settings though she has alot of them...oh and i agree with what was said about it being very very stiff... i think this fork is underated...ive had fox, lefty, and rock shock...

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
I think the comment about being stiff was a good thing, as in it doesn't flex.

Do you like it better than the Fox, Lefty and Reba?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Air pressure

I saw for over 200lbs the range is 45-60psi? Is this correct? I am 215lb, just put 60psi in the fork. Can it go higher if needed?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
cphil said:
I saw for over 200lbs the range is 45-60psi? Is this correct? I am 215lb, just put 60psi in the fork. Can it go higher if needed?
It is just a guideline, to start from. Use the pressure that works for you, as long as you don't exceed the maximum limit.

Ronnie.

·
Underskilled
4,573 Posts
Don't forget there are two good options for a long travel 29er fork.

White Brothers Fluid 135 and 150 and Manipoo Dorado.

I have had a year a piece on both the fluids and have the dorado sitting on my bike to be tested this weekend.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ronnie said:
It is just a guideline, to start from. Use the pressure that works for you, as long as you don't exceed the maximum limit.

Ronnie.
What is the maximum limit? Didn't see that.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
cphil said:
I have been running 60-70psi in my TST2 model with no issues (I weigh 270lbs FWIW). Do you really feel like you need more pressure if you're 'only' ;) 215lbs?

You also have the volume adjuster to play around with and can always dial in a little more 'progressivity' if need be.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Long time lurker, but don’t usually have that much to add. That’s not the case this time, so “Hello” and….

I've been running the Niner OEM Micro-Ti version on a WFO I built up over the winter, and also beg to differ on what seems to be a collectively negative opinion of the 44.

I'm a decent sized guy at 225ish geared up, and find that at pressures around 75psi the 44 is pretty sweet for me. Most of my weekday riding is in a few small but technical parks in W. NY, with plenty of steep/rocky/rooty trails, and on the weekends I can head south for legitimate AM/DH rides and shuttle runs. Though I've only been running the 44 for about a month, I’ve got about 20 riding days on it and here's what I’ve found:

1: Small bump compliance - adequate. While I'm not blown away by the small bump compliance, given that this is a 32mm fork targeted at an AM application in a huge bike, I didn't really expect to be. On the short, steep, and technical stuff I ride during the week, I think the fork does fine, and has comparable small bump compliance to to 80mm Fox F29 I run on my hardtail (I mostly run the 44 with the rebound in the midrange, and the TST compression wide open). So while I wouldn't describe the small bump compliance as gushingly plush, it's a long way from poor. Still, I could probably talk myself into some 2.5 weight oil when I have to rebuild it.

2: Medium hits - money. This thing does a great job on midsized hits/bumps, especially at speed. After a few initial slower rides through some steep local downhill sections that are about as much big root/small drop as they are dirt, I started to push the 44 through at speed and finished at the bottom with that "look what I just found" ecstatic grin on my face. I followed those up with some weekend trips to lap a longer sustained downhill area that runs through quite a bit of creek bed/rock garden, and took home the message that I was going to have to expand my perception of what I could get away with flying into on a 29er. I didn't even come close to using the fork to its potential, let alone overwhelming it. Especially at speed, the 44 ironed out pretty heavy chop fantastically.

3: Big Hits - jury out, but looking good. I've only hit 5-6 things over 3 feet so far, so I can't really offer a tremendously informed opinion at this point. What I have hit it's done well on, but I so massively overwhelm the RP23 on anything bigger than 2 feet that I'm going to wait until I’ve swapped to a coil before rendering an opinion.

4: Miscellaneous: Set up with the 15mm TA and I9s, this is a mindblowingly stiff fork. Stoked on that. Also, though I’ve read about the issues with some forks not returning to full travel at rest and people having to pull them to get all 140 mm of stanchion out, I don't have this problem. At 75psi, the fork returns to full travel, so no complaints there either.

Overall I think this is a pretty good fork for what it is and where in the developmental timeline of longer travel 29er forks it's been brought to market. You can argue about both the white brothers offerings and the dorado, but in reality the 44 represents the first long(er) travel 29er fork really brought to mass market, especially given the OEM link with the longest travel mass marketed 29er frame (I’m using "mass" pretty liberally here, and yes, I know all about the smaller boutique frame makers). As such, I wasn't expecting Talas 36 performance out of the box, and I'm pretty happy with the 44 as a stepping stone to more aggressive 29er parts.

I don't have enough time on this setup yet to really be pushing it, but by the end of this season I'm sure that the fork will be holding back a frame which clearly surpasses it. I also agree with many people that 36mm stanchions would be a superior choice, but I'm not surprised to see that the industry is reticent to jump into a purpose-built long-travel big-hit fork for a 29er right now. Until the AM/DH/FR crowd jumps on the bandwagon, pushing the 29er envelope into more intense riding is a financially risky endeavor. Though this is purely speculative, I would point to the WFO part pack availability as a litmus for the market having not quite caught up yet. But, if you look at the progress being made in the CC racing world, I think we'll get there. There are plenty of people (many/most of them on here) who are pushing 29ers into the FR/DH arena, and even if you aren't on board with the lenzealots etc., I think you have to appreciate that they're breaking ground into which bigger companies will be able to follow later, ultimately making it accessible to everyone else. So, while I’m perfectly happy with the 44 for now, I’ll also be stoked when something burlier comes along.

·
Registered
330 Posts
ditto on good4nothing

"adequate / money / jury out, but looking good" is exactly what I would say too.

Been rocking this fork (via the WFO Party Pack) for a few months and it is doing well in terms of serving the purpose that I have for it: an acceptable stepping stone until a Fox 150mm 29er comes out. This is the purpose because I believe this bike is so much more capable than what 140mm + 70degree HTA is allowing. For the meantime, I am enjoying this fork and have no regrets with it.

relative to other forks in the quiver:
- Lefty 140mm Max (aluminum) SPV (on a Prophet) is stiffer
- Reba Race 29 100mm (on a Canzo) is not as good medium hits, but easier to pogo-up a wheelie/manual, so nicer for small-rock tech
- Marz Marathon 29 80mm '04 (on a Monocog) is more fore-aft flexy and has more stiction... a sticky noodle that pogos when you climb with the compression too light -- the worst of all worlds. however, the Doppio 5 with lockout is cool and I still like it for that aspect -- turning the knob and having the front end raise at the top of a climb is old skool cool.
- Marz Shiver 40 300mm (on a Quantya) is way more plush on medium and big hits. it is tough too - have powered through rock-gardens of 1-2ft each at 35mph with bike and rider weight of 425lbs being handled with cush and poise.

People, you can't just generalize all forks by a certain manufacturer as good or bad or worthy or unworthy...

21 - 40 of 94 Posts