Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am trying to find out two things about this fork.
1. The free length of the spring on the damper non eta side.
2. It would be cool if I could see maybe pics how the spring is set in the damper.

I will elaborate a little that way it will make sense why I am asking the questions.
I own a recent z1 light 2006 and I want to go coil on both sides, this is just cause I prefer the feel of linear coil springs over progressive air springs, so I want to determine how I can make this work. I know it can be done cause the 66 rc2x is double coil and it shares the rc2 cartridge on the non x side. What I don't know is how everything comes together inside as far as washers, and such, to hold the coil spring in place, also the free length of the old z1 freeride 1 will give me a good starting point so that I can look for a spring in the weight I want.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Here's some info.

gkler said:
2. It would be cool if I could see maybe pics how the spring is set in the damper.

I will elaborate a little that way it will make sense why I am asking the questions.
I own a recent z1 light 2006 and I want to go coil on both sides, this is just cause I prefer the feel of linear coil springs over progressive air springs, so I want to determine how I can make this work. I know it can be done cause the 66 rc2x is double coil and it shares the rc2 cartridge on the non x side. What I don't know is how everything comes together inside as far as washers, and such, to hold the coil spring in place, also the free length of the old z1 freeride 1 will give me a good starting point so that I can look for a spring in the weight I want.
I don't know all the details about what you're asking, but here's some info I've run across doing another Marz experiment. I turned a couple of '04 Z150SLs into hybrid air/coil forks using an '05 Z1FR1 coil spring and an '04 Z150 HSCV cart. I removed the ECC/rebound cart and replaced it with the Z150 cart. These have been awesome forks, so my first question would be why you'd want to change the air/coil nature of yours. Mine have been the best of both spring mediums and extremely tuneable.

Anyway, one problem you'd have with trying to fit a coil spring to an air cart is that there's no spring retainer mechanism to hold the coil...for obvious reasons. The air carts I've seen don't have the capability of fitting a spring retainer...they're all smooth. Obviously I haven't seen all air carts out there, but I'd ask myself...why would any of them have spring retainers? One pic I posted here shows the Z150 cart with a Manitou Flick+ coil spring, and you can see the spring retainer mechanism. Obviously your fork may indeed have the capability of fitting a spring retainer, as the system of "Light" and "regular" forks may be little more internally than removing one spring and using air as the medium, but I'm not up on the '06 line internals.

There are two different length springs in the '05 Z1FR1...a full length red one and a shorter blue one. I speculate that the blue one is shorter to accomodate a small negative spring on that side of the fork...but I haven't seen all the internals in an '05 Z1FR1. I'm thinking you'd need the longer red spring for your 6" experiment. Well, that's my $.02.

P.S.--you know, in retrospect, the spring retainer doesn't actually fit into a groove or slot on the cart, so perhaps as long as the retainer properly rests on the top of the damping portion of the cart, maybe the spring can be fitted. Maybe Brian Peterson can comment on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Z1FR1 spring lenghth?

Sorry to hijack - I am looking at rebuilding a pair of 05ZFR1s. They have been reduced to 130mm and I will build back to 150mm. I suspect the springs for the 130mm setting are shorter than the 150mm setting.

I am looking for the same info - the free lenghth in mm of the rebound side (not ETA side) of the springs for a pair of 05 Z1FR1s.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fkahb said:
Sorry to hijack - I am looking at rebuilding a pair of 05ZFR1s. They have been reduced to 130mm and I will build back to 150mm. I suspect the springs for the 130mm setting are shorter than the 150mm setting.

I am looking for the same info - the free lenghth in mm of the rebound side (not ETA side) of the springs for a pair of 05 Z1FR1s.

Thanks
I also have to make up a new spacer for the top of the ETA springs. It looks like it should be shorter than the 20mm on the rebound side - does anyone know the correct length?

Thanks again. :)

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Z1FR1 spring length

gkler said:

I have an 05 Z1FR1 and marzocchi reccommended I remove the spring from the rebound side to accomdate my weight. The spring is 10" and is Yellow . It had a 20mm spacer between the spring and the top cap. Once removed everything is great. I hope this helps. I'm not sure if there was any spacers at the bottom of the spring.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Let's see here...

First off, I don't think it is possible to stick a spring in the other side of a Z1 Light... Especially because on the 66 series, the RC2X uses a different cartridge than the SL and the Light.

As for the person wanting to take the 130mm fork to 150mm, you will need a different ETA cartridge. The ETA cartridges are travel specific and trying the change the travel will leave you with an ETA that will not function properly...

Brian

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Z1FR1 with 150mm travel. The thing that I need to do is replace the original spring in HSCV side with with a softer one.

Unable to find a replacement spring for my fork (Zocchi is supposedly not planning to offer them), I was toying with an idea of using the Z150 spring kit, which are available in softer versions.

What I need to find out is - are the springs interchangable... can I use Z150 springs in Z1FR1, as both forks seem very similar in construction and travel. Can anyone measure the HSCV side and post it here ?

Z150 spring KIT http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5302

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thank man, was afraid that might not be a valid solution.
I also found out a great topic in the "Shocks" Forum called "Mixing Z150 and Z1FR parts?".

Proceeded to order a replacement softer spring set from Zocchi dealer, should get it in couple of days. Should be a fun spring ahead !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Still waiting for the softer spring kit for Z1 FR1...sigh.
Marzocchi dealers seem to be really slow, can anyone point me out to some quality Marzocchi dealers in Europe ?

When I called the factory, they wouldnt listen, and just pointed me out to my nearest Zocchi Rep.
so far Not happy :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.