Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
Since I am recovering from a surgery in my shoulder after a crash in my first year ride:madman: , I have plenty of time to think in riding and my LBS is ofering to me a sweet deal on a 2005 RS Pike SL, I am currently run my 5spot with a zocchi AM1 also 2005 (the tan one) that I must say is the best fork I ever used.
Since there is some kind of fever among my cycling friends to run 20mm axle forks, my question is on a tigth budget, will this Pike improve my ride significatly over the AM1.

Thanks in advance and health to enjoy your rides

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Midle Age Warrior said:
Hello guys
Since I am recovering from a surgery in my shoulder after a crash in my first year ride:madman: , I have plenty of time to think in riding and my LBS is ofering to me a sweet deal on a 2005 RS Pike SL, I am currently run my 5spot with a zocchi AM1 also 2005 (the tan one) that I must say is the best fork I ever used.
Since there is some kind of fever among my cycling friends to run 20mm axle forks, my question is on a tigth budget, will this Pike improve my ride significatly over the AM1.

Thanks in advance and health to enjoy your rides
How much do you weigh? what type of terrain, am1 or all-mtn 1, 130mm or 150mm Zokie, and do you like to climb?

You probably should test ride your buds bike and see if you prefer the added benefit of the tighter tracking a 20mm TA will bring or if you notice a stiffness difference at all. But one big advantage to the Pike in my mind is the added anti brake dive the motion control will bring.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Maw...

Hi,
It is hard to help without knowing what, where, how you ride and your riding style. However, my personal experience is that Marzocchi was building the best forks whilst all the rest were trying to catch up. Many of non M forks have indeed progressed. Since you did not mention features lacking from your AM, I would have a nice oil change, and you can invest in different cartridges, swap air for full coil, etc.

This would likely be cheeper than a new fork and you would have some coin left over to buy some grass to help keep America beautiful! For your lawn....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info

You both are rigth when you said you can not help with so little info.
My weitgh is around 158 pounds, I use to ride some kind of agrsive XC and a lot of technical trais (steep, low speed, tigth turns, rocky and irregular, with small jumps and hucks), beside that I also enjoy to ride to the trails usualy paved roads very, very steep, did I say steep?, thats why I got the Zokei All Mountain 1 2005 (the one with the desert storm color) so I can reduce the travel uphill and enjoy the full 150 mm down, my ride is a Turner 5 Spot and with the full extention of 150 mm must vary the geometry a little bit but this do not boder me.
I must say that this is my only ride by now so it must be an All Mountain type of ride due to the diferents things I do whit it.
Since I am recovering from a surgery by now I can not test my budies rides in order to see if the 20 mm TA are really much stiffer than my actual fork, thats why I am looking for some inputs about the performance of the Pike SL vs. the Marzocchi All Moutain 1, both from 2005

Thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well while 20mm are nice I dont know if the travel "feel" is worth the switch the 05 am1 was a very well feature packed fork that just felt great. So maybe you gain a little stiffness but you lose the quality of travel (just my opinion I always felt RS forks to be slow to respond, maybe since I am a lighter rider about 145lbs).

·
Registered
697 Posts
They are both great forks, but I'm not sure if it's worth the expense for a lateral trade. I also have the 05 AM-1 and love it. I agree with your assessment, it is the best fork I've ever used as well. Recently I sent my fork back to Marzocchi for tst service and asked them to replace my tan lowers with nice black 20mm ones. I wanted to buy a new wheelset and I was frankly sick of the desert puke color. I'm really happy with my decision, the front end is much stiffer, deflects off of rocks much less, and just feels more solid. To be honest, it could just as well be the new hoops, the old ones were crap.
Good luck with the shoulder.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I follow you rigth, when Marzocchi serviced your TST they also changed your bottles with new ones with a 20mm TA?, It is possible?, are the bottles the same? and how much they charged you for the new ones?.
This must be heaven a 2005 All Mountain 1 tuneability and feeling whith the stiffnes of a 20mm TA whith out the hazzles of the 66.
Please let me know if it realy can happen

·
ay Diablo!
612 Posts
nicolicious said:
what does the SL at the end of some forks mean?

ive seen it on ebay and now here....
On marzocchi's line of forks it stands for SuperLight, and it means their air only models. On other brands like Rock Shox, I do not know what it means. So good question, maybe someone else will chime in and let us know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
MAW,
Your ride style and trails sound like ours. I will do larger drops though. I ride a Marathon Coil front (with coil rear) , which is not near as burly/still as your AM. If I had your AM I would do exactly as I suggessted, I don't think you need a 20MM but I have no experience to back it up. PEACE

·
Registered
697 Posts
They replaced the lowers (the tan magnesium legs) with new ones. The rest of the fork is the same as before. I'm not sure what you mean by "bottles" though. The lowers were a little over $100.

Midle Age Warrior said:
If I follow you rigth, when Marzocchi serviced your TST they also changed your bottles with new ones with a 20mm TA?, It is possible?, are the bottles the same? and how much they charged you for the new ones?.
This must be heaven a 2005 All Mountain 1 tuneability and feeling whith the stiffnes of a 20mm TA whith out the hazzles of the 66.
Please let me know if it realy can happen

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
nicolicious said:
what does the SL at the end of some forks mean?

ive seen it on ebay and now here....
For RS Pike:
SL is the lower end model and does not have external knob for Motion Control.
It has a cap instead.
You have to pull out the rebound knob out and use the hex key on it to adjust.
No problem for me since I leave it wide open.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you for that info, Merrimack Dave! I purchased a bike with an 05 All Mountain 1 already installed, and the ONLY two things I wish were different would be the funky colour and the lack of a 20 mm through axle. I'm close to 250 pounds and would really like to try out the 20 mm to see the difference. It sounds like the Marz service is exactly what I'll need, and would cost way less than a brand new fork.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just an update: called Marzocchi and got the process started. They're going to replace the lowers with the orange ones from the Z1RC2 with a 20 mm thru-axle, and service the TST. The Z1 lowers have the IS disc mount, while most 07 forks have the post mount. Should take a few weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.