Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marzocchi Vs. Winwood for heavy singlespeeder?

My wife and I recently totaled our car with my Karate Monkey on the rack. My Marzocchi MXC was bent and the insurance company is going to partially fund a replacement fork. I'm trying to decide between getting another Marzocchi or getting the air spring Winwood.

I'm a clydesdale singlespeeder who fancies himself an enduance rider. Any thoughts on which might better serve my needs?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
farley said:
My wife and I recently totaled our car with my Karate Monkey on the rack. My Marzocchi MXC was bent and the insurance company is going to partially fund a replacement fork. I'm trying to decide between getting another Marzocchi or getting the air spring Winwood.

I'm a clydesdale singlespeeder who fancies himself an enduance rider. Any thoughts on which might better serve my needs?
Another poster today listed a WB CX-1 that is up for sale with a 8" steerer. I'd get all over that before spending MORE on a Marz MCX or a Winwood. Padre doesn't think they are good, but I rode one hard as a clyd, and it worked like butta....

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
have you looked at a bw.8???

when i called wb two weeks ago, they said they would have some ready in 3 weeks. i'm not sure if they are all spoken for, but if you have a good relationship with a shop, you can probably get one for about $500-550.

i think i was quoted $650 for a marz marathon 29er...PASS

also, the winwood forks look decent. the are cheap, and look like they'd preform ok. but, when i spoke to a 29er/singlespped friendly local bike shop, i was told that a entire shipment of winwood forks was sent back to taiwan because of quality issues...that doesn't sound very reassuring.

i am currently loving the 29er/rigid life (my hand/arms will disagree though)...but, if i had to go 29er sussy, i'd go wb bw.8 or 1.0, or maybe wait for the rs reba.

just my dos centavos...cheers!

farley said:

·
Registered
665 Posts
The comp

Like others I'm not a fan of the Marz Marathon - flexy at best. But recently I had a new Marz Comp coil fork installed on my Mooto-X and LOVE it (not a rigid fan). I haven't ridden a WB but compared to the marathon the comp feels less flexy than the marathon and I prefer the smooth coil feel. Its heavier but its cheap. Also, I weigh 225 and the preload tightens up nice and stiff with the stock springs - no need to buy heavier ones.

My .02. Good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
winwood fork

i have a winwood and it seems to work pretty good, i rode it a few times and rode great, however i just bought a 292 and am now selling the Winwood for $200. if any interest, e-mail back at [email protected]. yes, i will post it in the ads along with my serotta 29er that is already in there. see ya guys.

rick

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going with the MXC

Thanks to all who responded with advice and info.

I've decided to go with another Marzocchi just like the one I had. It seems the jury is still out on the Winwoods, particularly for the heavier among us.

White Brothers forks got several ringing endorsements, as usual, but price-wise those just aren't an option for me right now (not to mention the avialablity issue. . .)

So it's back to the old coil-spring Marzocchi. It's not the greatest fork out there, but it has served me well. I'll still with the tried and true.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wb Cx1

Hello,

I"ll be selling a flawless WB CX1 that I just removed from my Willets Ti New Sheriff. I'm switching to disc and have ordered the WB BW.8 fork so I can mount Avid Mechanicals. If you are interested, drop me a line. The fork is in excellent condition and I've never had a single problem with it.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
111 Posts
Email?

Wats your email address?

highrustler said:
Hello,

I"ll be selling a flawless WB CX1 that I just removed from my Willets Ti New Sheriff. I'm switching to disc and have ordered the WB BW.8 fork so I can mount Avid Mechanicals. If you are interested, drop me a line. The fork is in excellent condition and I've never had a single problem with it.

Cheers,
James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts