Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the LBS change the oil in my fork. I've changed the oil in my Fox fork, but I seem to always end up with some problem after I do it. Given the lack of Marz instructions out there - I just let the LBS do it.

I tested the Z1FR1 in the parking lot and was amazed at how much smoother the travel was. I had to actually use the air preload, which I've never had any air in before. I asked him to put lighter oil in than was originally in there, I assume that's why it was so much smoother and had such light action. All was looking good.

I got it to the trail yesterday and when I took a fast hit (like hitting a rock at speed) the right leg of the fork made a clanking/rattling sound when it rebounds (it may be the left leg too, it was hard to tell). The wrench won't be back in until tomorrow, I thought if someone knew what might cause this I can help him out in troubleshooting the problem. It was perfectly quiet when I dropped it off.

John

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Jisch said:
I had the LBS change the oil in my fork. I've changed the oil in my Fox fork, but I seem to always end up with some problem after I do it. Given the lack of Marz instructions out there - I just let the LBS do it.

I tested the Z1FR1 in the parking lot and was amazed at how much smoother the travel was. I had to actually use the air preload, which I've never had any air in before. I asked him to put lighter oil in than was originally in there, I assume that's why it was so much smoother and had such light action. All was looking good.

I got it to the trail yesterday and when I took a fast hit (like hitting a rock at speed) the right leg of the fork made a clanking/rattling sound when it rebounds (it may be the left leg too, it was hard to tell). The wrench won't be back in until tomorrow, I thought if someone knew what might cause this I can help him out in troubleshooting the problem. It was perfectly quiet when I dropped it off.

John
First, once the oil in the Z1FR gets dirty it adds a lot of additional compression damping. Simply changing the oil would make the fork much lighter in action, puring in lighter weight oil further removes compression damping.

As to the problem, typically, for some strange reason, after the oil is changed, when whomever does the change removes the coil springs to cycle the damper and later replaces them and caps off the damper, the spring is left a bit loose. The best remedy is getting some washers on top of the spring to take up the slack. An easy way to check if this is the case is to first remove air from the preload and then unthread both top caps and let the fork sink in. Pull up on the damper where the coil is and see if there is any play for the spring.

_MK

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got bike back

It was a missing spacer. Apparently it rolled off the guy's bench when he was reassembling (or that's the story he told me). The fork works awesome now. I can't wait to get it on the trail.

Thanks for the help,
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.