Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a Kona Howler with a 2004 Marz Z1 FR fork. Apparently the bike was originally built for one of the Kona Team riders (Dave Watson), but I'm not sure if this fork would have been originally spec'ed, as it is 130mm, and the Howlers were 110mm. At any rate...my son is only 95lbs soaking wet, but takes this bike on all the trails at Whistler, as well as anything else in the Vancouver area. It is a great short travel FR bike for someone his size.

The lowers on the fork seem to have developed some fore-aft play, and he's all hot to save his $$ for a new/used TALAS or something with travel adjust. The Z1 has ETA. From what I see on these threads, and how reliable the Z1 has been so far, I'm inclined to either fix it or look for another used one.

Any suggestions as to fixing the lowers? Or alternatives to the Z1?

Thanks

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
you can probably get the bushings replaced for not too much money, or you might want to look at a pike, that way you wouldn't have to replace your son's front wheel as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The '04 Z1 Freeride is a good fork. Mine has some slop in it from day one but it still going strong. If the seals are holding I'd keep riding it as-is. When it's time for seals, just send it in and have both seals and bushings replaced.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought as well....

WaveDude said:
The '04 Z1 Freeride is a good fork. Mine has some slop in it from day one but it still going strong. If the seals are holding I'd keep riding it as-is. When it's time for seals, just send it in and have both seals and bushings replaced.
I think Marzocchi got it right with that fork. The ETA works great, as does the compression and rebound. THe only reason he "thinks" he needs a new one is the Bling factor I think...plus he wants travel adjust, but that's just more stuff to go wrong if you ask me!

700 Posts
Johnny LaRoux said:
I think Marzocchi got it right with that fork. The ETA works great, as does the compression and rebound. THe only reason he "thinks" he needs a new one is the Bling factor I think...plus he wants travel adjust, but that's just more stuff to go wrong if you ask me!
Get him some new stickers.:thumbsup:

You can change the bushings in the fork if they are that sloppy but I think you would be better off saving up for something new. Rebuilds aren't that cheap and it seems that the price of a new fork would be a 3 times more than a rebuild. If you are close to Vancouver you could always walk in and talk to the Marzocchi Canada guys there. They like getting kids dialed in for a better price...if it's possible. I know I love to see the groms smile when they get the factory hook-up treatment and they will love that fork like it's a brand new one too. It's worth a try and you can also find out what it would run to rebuild it.

Kids love stickers!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vancouver Marzocchi office...

Marzocchi Tech Department said:
Get him some new stickers.:thumbsup:

You can change the bushings in the fork if they are that sloppy but I think you would be better off saving up for something new. Rebuilds aren't that cheap and it seems that the price of a new fork would be a 3 times more than a rebuild. If you are close to Vancouver you could always walk in and talk to the Marzocchi Canada guys there. They like getting kids dialed in for a better price...if it's possible. I know I love to see the groms smile when they get the factory hook-up treatment and they will love that fork like it's a brand new one too. It's worth a try and you can also find out what it would run to rebuild it.

Kids love stickers!!
I've been to the Vancouver office, to pick up a 20mm axle...and got some stickers for my son! You're right about the stickers...they are everywhere! Helmets, bike, fork etc, etc...

I thought about checking with the Marz office about a rebuild, as to cost etc. I'll look into it further. Part of the problem is the cost of a new fork! I've just helped him with buying a new Giant STP-SS, so the bike budget is tight right now! He's looked at some used 66's and Fox TALAS', but then who knows what you're getting into with a used fork. Probably better off rebuilding the one he knows.

He was asking about getting the lowers painted...not sure how feasible that is.

THanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.