Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm building up a Rocky Mountain Switch Ltd. and I want a 150mm fork on the front to match the rear travel. I'm a big Marzocchi fan because of past experience and would like to stick with them. I'm a 5'11, 165lb fairly aggressive urban and north shore style freerider. I'd like to aggresively freeride my Switch but still consider weight etc. so when I get older and lose my crazyness I can stil go out for an XC ride (still i'll probably never blow this much $$ on a new bike for a while).

I considered the Marz. 66 fork but I think I'd rather save a pound and go with a Z1. Right now I'm torn between the Z1 FR1 and Z1 FR3. They are both availible in 6" travel models (The FR 2 is just a 5 inch FR 1). The difference is that the FR3 doesn't have the 'ETA' feature to reduce the travel an inch or so (which i might use later in life). Also the FR1 has much more adjustibility and features HSCV damping (as opposed to SSV damping, neither of which I know what they are but I'm assuming HSCV is better) and 888 style internals.

Basically I'm wondering: Is the FR1 worth an extra 250$? If the FR3 works really well with what it's got and i'll hardly notice the difference then I'll go for it, but if the FR1 really is a lot better i'd like to know.

Thanks,
Dan

(I'm also looking at getting a 5th Element Rear Shock. The RM Switch has a 1.5" stroke and 6.5 eye-to-eye (or maybe 6.75). I don't believe that size is available in many other freeride shocks such as the Fox DHX. Has the 5th Elements reliablity improved at all? No matter what it's a big step up from a Vanilla R.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
dandurston said:
I'm building up a Rocky Mountain Switch Ltd. and I want a 150mm fork on the front to match the rear travel. I'm a big Marzocchi fan because of past experience and would like to stick with them. I'm a 5'11, 165lb fairly aggressive urban and north shore style freerider. I'd like to aggresively freeride my Switch but still consider weight etc. so when I get older and lose my crazyness I can stil go out for an XC ride (still i'll probably never blow this much $$ on a new bike for a while).

I considered the Marz. 66 fork but I think I'd rather save a pound and go with a Z1. Right now I'm torn between the Z1 FR1 and Z1 FR3. They are both availible in 6" travel models (The FR 2 is just a 5 inch FR 1). The difference is that the FR3 doesn't have the 'ETA' feature to reduce the travel an inch or so (which i might use later in life). Also the FR1 has much more adjustibility and features HSCV damping (as opposed to SSV damping, neither of which I know what they are but I'm assuming HSCV is better) and 888 style internals.

Basically I'm wondering: Is the FR1 worth an extra 250$? If the FR3 works really well with what it's got and i'll hardly notice the difference then I'll go for it, but if the FR1 really is a lot better i'd like to know.

Thanks,
Dan
Absolutely go with the Z1FR1. With HSCV, more adjustability(especially rebound control) and ETA (which allows you to make the fork 3 or so inches lower for climbing, not 1) the extra $ will be well spent. Also, the Z1FR1 with 8.75 inch steer tube weighs 5.5lbs - 1/10th lbs lighter than the 130mm Z1.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I felt the same way you do about zocchie forks and that influenced my decision to buy a Marzocchi Z1 FR3 over a Manitou Stance Flow. I bought it because I can't afford too much right now, and I got a pretty good deal on it. Its true that the FR3 lacks the adjustability, but I don't mind all that much. Its stiff which fits my personal preferences well. I also don't really care about the weight either, so that doesnt really matter to me, I don't ride to much cross country. I think it works great, and I am more satisfied with this fork than any of my previous marzocchi forks, which says a lot. I wouldn't be able to say if the extra $250 is worth it or not, but I'm really happy.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
dandurston said:

Thanks,
Dan

(I'm also looking at getting a 5th Element Rear Shock. The RM Switch has a 1.5" stroke and 6.5 eye-to-eye (or maybe 6.75). I don't believe that size is available in many other freeride shocks such as the Fox DHX. Has the 5th Elements reliablity improved at all? No matter what it's a big step up from a Vanilla R.)
Do you have the frame yet? Can you post a profile pic? The RM website shows a crappy "front angle" view...I'm thinking about replacing my DH bike with one...thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DownHillFast said:
Do you have the frame yet? Can you post a profile pic? The RM website shows a crappy "front angle" view...I'm thinking about replacing my DH bike with one...thanks
I don't have it yet. I just ordered it on wednesday from supergo.com. They have an amazing price on the 03 models. You don't want a 02 switch cuz the frame broke a lot and only had 5 inches of travel. It was totally redesigned for 03 and has 6" of travel. Since then it's been minorly tweaked. With the 1000$ I saved I'm planning on putting a 5th Element on it and then laughing to the bank with the rest. Supergo has them on sale for 869$ which is over half off. Plus it's the Switch Ltd. frame which looks a lot nicer than just the regular 03 switch which was nasty yellow. For two angles of my frame see:

(nice angle)
https://www.supergo.com/product_images/large/SG30_1417.jpg

or:
https://bikes.com/bikes/2003/zoom/images/switchltd_detail.jpg

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
dandurston said:
I don't have it yet. I just ordered it on wednesday from supergo.com. They have an amazing price on the 03 models. You don't want a 02 switch cuz the frame broke a lot and only had 5 inches of travel. It was totally redesigned for 03 and has 6" of travel. Since then it's been minorly tweaked. With the 1000$ I saved I'm planning on putting a 5th Element on it and then laughing to the bank with the rest. Supergo has them on sale for 869$ which is over half off. Plus it's the Switch Ltd. frame which looks a lot nicer than just the regular 03 switch which was nasty yellow. For two angles of my frame see:

(nice angle)
https://www.supergo.com/product_images/large/SG30_1417.jpg

or:
https://bikes.com/bikes/2003/zoom/images/switchltd_detail.jpg
that's too bad, I need an 18" or I would order one tomorrow...that thing needs a DHX and some lovin'...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
dandurston said:
Where did you get a 'pretty good deal' on it?
I bought something from an online shop off ebay last year, and they had a sale for their ebay customers that was 20% off or something like that, so I got the fork, a bashguard and a seatpost for $400. They arent doing the sale anymore.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DownHillFast said:
that's too bad, I need an 18" or I would order one tomorrow...that thing needs a DHX and some lovin'...
Crap man! I ordered an 18" and as of yesterday they still had em. I guess someone just got the last one. I wanted to put a DHX on it but the Switch has a 1.5" stroke (which is a 4:1 ratio which is a bit high) and my brief research indicates they don't make the DHX's in less then 2" strokes. I think I'm gonna throw a 5th element on there.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
dandurston said:
Crap man! I ordered an 18" and as of yesterday they still had em. I guess someone just got the last one. I wanted to put a DHX on it but the Switch has a 1.5" stroke (which is a 4:1 ratio which is a bit high) and my brief research indicates they don't make the DHX's in less then 2" strokes. I think I'm gonna throw a 5th element on there.
I've been watching those at Supergo...and they have only had 19.5 listed online for a few weeks. They had an 18" when you called? And it DOES have a 1.5" HT, correct?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DownHillFast said:
I've been watching those at Supergo...and they have only had 19.5 listed online for a few weeks. They had an 18" when you called? And it DOES have a 1.5" HT, correct?
Mine is definately the 18" and yeah it has a 1.5 headtube. I'm gonna run the FSA Big Fat Pig 1.5 reducer headset. I never called them. I just ordered it off their website. I first saw them on supergo on monday and under the size pulldown menu there was both 18" and 19.5". It took me until wed morning to get my credit card cleaned up so the transactions would go through but i checked a couple of times on tuesday and they still had the 18" then. I was scared they'd run out cuz they were advertising that deal on this site. I ended up ordering it around noon on wednesday and my confirmation email says its a size 18". I even checked back on thurs. and they still had the 18". Now under the pull down menu on the 19.5 is listed so I guess they're out but you could call and see if anyone cancelled or if they have one more lying around. I'll sell you mine for 1500$ :) .(Is it just me or does the shock spring look way longer on the first link (couple posts up) than the second??)

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
dandurston said:
Mine is definately the 18" and yeah it has a 1.5 headtube. I'm gonna run the FSA Big Fat Pig 1.5 reducer headset. I never called them. I just ordered it off their website. I first saw them on supergo on monday and under the size pulldown menu there was both 18" and 19.5". It took me until wed morning to get my credit card cleaned up so the transactions would go through but i checked a couple of times on tuesday and they still had the 18" then. I was scared they'd run out cuz they were advertising that deal on this site. I ended up ordering it around noon on wednesday and my confirmation email says its a size 18". I even checked back on thurs. and they still had the 18". Now under the pull down menu on the 19.5 is listed so I guess they're out but you could call and see if anyone cancelled or if they have one more lying around. I'll sell you mine for 1500$ :) .(Is it just me or does the shock spring look way longer on the first link (couple posts up) than the second??)
I agree, it does look way longer. Maybe it's just the angle. Enjoy your bike!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts