Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my Roco for a good six months now, up until about a month ago I've had nothing but love for this shox. I recently acquired a Ti spring for her, changed out the steel spring and now it feels like the shox wont rebound fast "enough". It feels decent on the trials but my concern is that the shoxs rebound is at max with 190psi in the boost chamber and 2-3 clicks of compression. I would like the shox to be able to rebound a tad bit faster, especially on rough rocky sections where I can feel it pack up or just ride way to deep in the travel.

Whats really concerning is the rebound adjuster spins more or less freely and does not change the rebound rate from full fast for 2-3 turns. Then its ridiculously slow.

Is there any way to fix this at home in my garage? As you all know its in the middle of prime riding season and theres no way marz is getting their hands on my baby for 2+ months :D

Thanks

btw its on this bike
Photobucket

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
The rebound adjuster on mine seems to be larely decorative as well. I'm OK with where it sits though, so I don't really care. I've rebuilt mine, and while I was at it, I inspected the damper and didn't find anything obviously wrong with it that would cause the rebound adjuter to not do much. I think that's just how it is on those shocks. If you'd like to speed things up a little, you can rebuild it with some lighter oil. Stock is 5wt. Grab yourself a liter of 5wt and a liter of 2.5, and experiment with some mixes. I'm serious about getting a liter of each. It's easiest top rebuild the shock submerged, so it takes a lot of oil.

Here's how I'd go about the experimentation:
-Try it with just 2.5wt. See if you like it. If you do, stop there.
-If you think the rebound is too fast, or the compression too soft, mix half the 2.5wt with half the 5wt and try that.
-Now you've got 1L of ~3.75wt oil, and a bit of 2.5 and 5wt. If you're good with the mix, cool. If not, you can add either 2.5 or 5wt to tweak things as you see fit.

Directions for the rebuild: http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/rear shocks/ROCO RC Service Manual.ppt

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
Sh!t thats alot of work... submerged?
as in get a tub and fill it with my desired oil and re-assemble?
Sent the shock to HAB he'll have it back in a couple your beat up N hammered any way just dont forget the $200 P, L & Shipping fees check but cash might save ya $5. :devil::prft:

·
Registered
919 Posts
My Rocco was to slow in compression and rebound (i'm 140 lbs with a 275# ti spring).
I removed 1 each of each diameter compression and rebound shims. Used 5 wt oil and it's great now. Basically the last 3 turns from all the way in affect rebound speed. For whatever reason the ROCO rebound knob has little effect except at the very end. I also chopped the bottom out bumper down by 2/3 it's length. The boost vavle handles bottoming just fine.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
HAB, its not that hard to rebuild the shox you say?

The powerpoint link makes it look super complicated.
i think i'll give it a go. However, before i start, what should I be looking out for in terms of visible damage or wear? I'm expecting to see dirt and grime, which will be cleaned of course, but should I keep an eye out for low oil levels, etc?

The main problem i'm having with the shock is that the rebound is toast. it bounces back like a damn walmart bike now. :mad:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
misctwo said:
i think i'll give it a go. However, before i start, what should I be looking out for in terms of visible damage or wear? I'm expecting to see dirt and grime, which will be cleaned of course, but should I keep an eye out for low oil levels, etc?

The main problem i'm having with the shock is that the rebound is toast. it bounces back like a damn walmart bike now. :mad:
My computer will take till tomorrow morning to down load that file. It's not complicated to take apart a shock it's only one fork leg but smaller. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
misctwo said:

In terms of oil levels, the entire shock, except obviously the air chamber, should be entirely full of oil. It's a pretty simple setup, really, There are a few o-rings, mostly at the joints of the different parts of the shock body, that you should inspect for damage. Make sure the seal around the outside of the IFP looks intact, and check the seal on the damper shaft for damage. Clean everything up, and put 'er back together.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
In terms of oil levels, the entire shock, except obviously the air chamber, should be entirely full of oil. It's a pretty simple setup, really, There are a few o-rings, mostly at the joints of the different parts of the shock body, that you should inspect for damage. Make sure the seal around the outside of the IFP looks intact, and check the seal on the damper shaft for damage. Clean everything up, and put 'er back together.
thanks, i guess what i wanted to ask was, if the rebound damping is shot, what is the reason? busted seal(s)? low oil?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
misctwo said:
thanks, i guess what i wanted to ask was, if the rebound damping is shot, what is the reason? busted seal(s)? low oil?
It could be a bad bleed, either through a leaky seal, or just improper assembly. Maybe just contamination gumming things up. Those seem most likely to me, but I could be missing something.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
dogonfr said:
I think you an my son HAB are neighbors within 2 states do a little PM action. :cornut:

:D
Last time I checked, Santa Barbara wasn't anywhere near NY. Funny thing about PMs though, is that they work over really long distances. There's this thing called the internet, I think Al Gore invented it, and it lets people communicate really quickly over long distances. PMs use the internet.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Last time I checked, Santa Barbara wasn't anywhere near NY. Funny thing about PMs though, is that they work over really long distances. There's this thing called the internet, I think Al Gore invented it, and it lets people communicate really quickly over long distances. PMs use the internet.
nah man david's right...WAS in SB...now in NJ! it's so much prettier here! :thumbsup:

just got the tools needed for the rebuild...diving in now...

dave this is for you

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.