Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Marz fork and the manual says to buy a special Marz pump. I assume that's marketing and not required. Interestingly enough, I am pretty sure I read the manual completely through and saw no maximum pressures mentioned. Did I just miss it? I got an '06 Marathon SL.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
The pumps are not special other than they're probably refering to a low pressure guage version, usually 0-100, so that you can properly tune their low pressure models...and of course a Marz air valve adapter on some models. You can get the pump from other sources...Buzzy's Pollenator 0-100 psi pump, for example. Some have also taken a spare pump and installed a lower psi guage from an air compresson supply/repair company. Trying to use the more common 0-300 psi guage to service a fork that might run 0-30 psi doesn't yield very good results.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my rear shock can take up to 200lbs, what will the various air chambers of this fork have as their max pressure? Note that it's got the DOPPIO air cartridge.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Isn't the Doppio cart on your Marathon a fairly low psi fork? If it is, you may find a 300 psi pump gauge dial fairly useless for some adjustments. Again, the pumps are not different...the guages are. There are several recent posts just down a bit on this forum that have covered a lot of info about this low pressure guage deal. Yes, you need a high pressure guage for your rear shock, but your fork may need a low pressure guage. People who think a high pressure guage will be a good tuning tool for setting up a 20psi air fork pressure would probably also use a shotgun as a sniper weapon.:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's why I'm asking what the max pressures are for the fork. My rear shock and the tires on my TT bike are up around the 200lb range so I need that pump...If the pressures in the fork are pretty low, then I need a 2nd pump...just want to know what the pressures are in the fork as the owner's manual didn't say.

Thanks.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, you're right about the manual. Once again the lousy Marz owner's manual doesn't fail to disappoint...LOL. If you look closely they put the air specs at the end of each section of each specific fork...not at the beginning where the other specs are listed. In the '06 manual it should be on page 148 of the English section. I know the last thing you see before the chart is "Marathon XC", but that's just the last text of that section.

Now, another piece of Marz misinformation. I'll bet you'll find that 30-40psi recommendation in the positive air to be too much. They recommend 35-45psi in the 66SL, but most of us run around 20psi. See the problem of trying to read 20psi on a 300psi guage?

Uh...you mention 200(psi?) in your tires?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.