·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll chime in

Padre said:
I know it weighs 5lbs.
But I'm needing a solid set up.
Any thoughts on it, good/bad?
No reviews for the niner version I could find.
Speak now, or forever hold your peace.[/QUO5TE]

5 lbs... I never knew the fork was that heavy. Mine came on a GF Paragon and is the 80mm version. I have nanoraptors with wire beads and stans. My bike is set up as a singlespeed and weighs 25 lbs complete. Not anywhere as light as my soulcraft singlespeed at 20 lbs.

I ride in So cal and ride rocky, dusty decents and long steep climbs. I really like the fork. I weigh 155 so, I'm no clydesdale, but I have ridden my share of flexy forks (sid, mars, etc) I have Fox's on my other bikes for comparison. The bump absorbsion is not as sophisticated as the Fox but it gets the job done. The big wheels makes you feel like you have an extra 1/2 inch of travel (but I'm sure you already know that). I run about 5 lbs of extra air pressure to keep the fork from bobbing while climbing. I know the fork has the ECC but I seem to forget to unlock it when going down hill. So I leave it open and have adjusted to the firmer feel. It takes a lot to bottom the fork but that is usually what saves my a** from crashing!

The steering seems solid, although I have noticed it is better to lean the bike over to turn rather than really turning the bars. Which would negate a lot of fork flex "feel". The fork will hold airpressue for a few months without needing a top up. The only grip is I wish Marzzochi would come up with a handlebar lock/unlock like the SID. Oh well nothings perfect.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
29er version ought to be the same as 26...

...but with longer castings for the sliders. The 26 inch version gets good reviews. So, unless you're really worried about flex, it oughta be good.

I have the 2002 MXR Air that was stock equipment on the GF Tam at the time. I like it so much, I bought a spare that I found for sale for cheap on this board. It shows just a hair under 4 lbs on my postal scale. Yes, it did take a fair amount of fiddling with air volume and pressure, but I've got it dialed nicely now. 2 years and thousands of miles and it never leaks any air or oil, and there's no slop in the bushings. Note: I only weigh 175 lbs and I've never tried a White Bros. Who knows, maybe if I did, I'd dump the Zokie. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Soupboy said:
...I want a real review on this fork...especially in the context of clydes.

Sean
OK....here goes. First some caveats:

1. I've only been riding a couple of years, so I don't have a lot of experience with a wide variety of hardware.
2. I only bought my first bike with suspension (hardtail) this last spring. Moving from rigid to front suspension has forced me to re-think a lot of how I ride.

My 03 X-Caliber has the MX Comp Coil w. 80mm travel, and mechanical pre-loaed (no air assist). I weigh in at 220 pounds and ride XC, and have only bottomed out the fork once. I agree w. Ibis that the 29 inch wheel gives you more latitude in what you can roll over w/o problem, but have discovered there are some things that you just can't roll over. :rolleyes:

The fork bobs like a fiend when I climb even with the pre-load maxed out, but that may be normal--I don't know. Overall the steering has been tight, the performance has been consistant and reliable, and bump absorption has been good. However, I think I'd be killing this thing if it was a 26 instead of a 29. I think the properties of the 29 helps to manage some of the problems that would be caused by my weight.

I'm going to upgrade the springs next year and see what that does, I probably should have done that from the start.

hth

e.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My experience is identical to Appendage. '02 Mt. Tam, zero problems. I've never added air except to vary the pressure for different types of riding, going months without any loss. I'm a happy Zoke owner on three bicycles and two motorcycles.

Appendage said:
I have the 2002 MXR Air that was stock equipment on the GF Tam at the time.... 2 years and thousands of miles and it never leaks any air or oil, and there's no slop in the bushings. Note: I only weigh 175 lbs....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll try to help some. I'm 205 lbs and I have owned the 26" versions of the MX comp and the marathon SL, as well as a Fox Vanilla. Now I'm riding 29"ers and have tried the Winwood and a White Bros BW 0.8. I thought that the MX comp and Marathon (keep in mind they were the 26" versions) were very flexy. The comp was heavy but the suspension action was OK. The marathon was light, but not reliable and had lots of stiction. I loved the Vanilla because it was stiff and plush. Once I moved to 29" wheels I spent a long time on a KM rigid fork before I bought a Winwood. That was OK but had sloppy busings and leaked some oil. I then found a BW 0.8 at Speedgoat and tried it out. It's probably my favorite fork I've ever ridden (right up with the Vanilla). Once broken in it is very plush and stiffness is on par with (or maybe even better than) Fox. I stayed away from the Marz 29 offerings because if I thought the 26" versions were flexy I'd hate to think what the 29" versions felt like, especially since (as far as I know) they use an older 3 piece design for the lowers. I know that the MX platform is very reliable, easy to work on, and has decent damping. I just can't stand a flexy fork.

<subliminal message on> Buy a BW 0.8. It's stiff and reliable. <subliminal message off>

Hope that helps
C

Padre said:
I know it weighs 5lbs.
But I'm needing a solid set up.
Any thoughts on it, good/bad?
No reviews for the niner version I could find.
Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pigpen said:
<subliminal message on> Buy a BW 0.8. It's stiff and reliable. <subliminal message off>Hope that helps C
Thanks for your input.
My experience w/ WB has been less than reliable.
Is the extra $300 that I'd have to pay for the .8 worth it?
Do the O4 Mx Comp's have mechanical pre-load or air assist?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Padre said:
Padre, from reading your posts over the last months, year, whatever, it seems you have your mind made up about WB, and you don't like them, despite what the overwhelming evidence and opinion from others is on this board, including MC and other GDR racers might say.

Marz are good forks, just buy one already....

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ncj01 said:
Padre, from reading your posts over the last months, year, whatever, it seems you have your mind made up about WB, and you don't like them, despite what the overwhelming evidence and opinion from others is on this board, including MC and other GDR racers might say.Marz are good forks, just buy one already....
It's definately difficult considering spending $650 on a new WB when my experience was less than stellar. You've observed me whining, hemming, hawing, etc in order to help myself decide. Has WB worked out the issue of the the rotor almost touching the stanchion w/ the .8?

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Yo.

....I am pretty sure that the 04 MX are all spring, no air. At least that's what Quality has to say. But, they also have it listed as 4.25 pounds?

I am placing an order today, let me kow if you want me to grab one..

Padre said:
Thanks for your input.

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Mz

I have a 2003 comp coil version. Although I like the suspension action it gets I think the fork is way too heavy for xc riding, and I'm not a gram weenie or whatever they are called these days. I also managed to blow an oil seal in one month of riding on it. Contrary to others opinions I've been "testing" a Marathon now and like it much better, I'm 190 lbs and dont notice the flex everyone complains about, its really a smooth fork once you break in the seals. That said the marathon and BW .8 are similar in price and I'm getting a bw .8 - if you're going to blow >$500 you should just get the best there is and go ride...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Padre said:
It's definately difficult considering spending $650 on a new WB when my experience was less than stellar. You've observed me whining, hemming, hawing, etc in order to help myself decide. Has WB worked out the issue of the the rotor almost touching the stanchion w/ the .8?
I had some avid disc's on my .8, and while the rotor was close to the lowers (stanctions are the part of the fork that goes into the lowers), it never came close to touching, I don't think it's an issue to be corrected.

Also, they don't cost $650, they cost $599 retail. On a side note, I don't recommend paying retail for anything, not in the area of bike related parts. Through a team, or a LBS or something, you should be able to easily get at least 10% off, and you should never pay shipping on top of retail. The Marz SL costs $699, I'm pretty sure, could be only $650.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hope my statements about the WB didn't sound too preachy or whatever. I do think that the WB is worth the extra money, but I can't make that call for you. Too bad about your bad luck with them. Was it with the CX1 or one of the BW series?

If you aren't too strapped for cash buy a Marz MX Comp and see how you like it. If you don't then you can sell it and try something else. Not sure about the springs and pre load so make sure before you buy that they can accomodate you with stiffer springs if need be.

Padre said:
Thanks for your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.