Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am a blonde dumb but it seems to me Marz 29er forks are never discussed when the issue of forks comes up. Am I missing something or are the other offerings just that much better?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
My 2 cents.

The MX Pro's are pretty darn heavy which I think is their biggest drawback. I rode one of these on my buddies Sugar and liked it. They do have the ETA adjustment which I love and have the typical Marz. feel.....but they are heavy. This fork feels a lot like one of my all time favorite forks, the Z2 Atom 80.

I owned a 26" equivalent of current 29er Marathon SL offering (which is an '04 that wasn't updated for '05?). I ran a 100mm Marathon SL against a Fox Float 100RLC on my SC Blur. Once the time was taken to properly set the air pressure on the Marathon it rode killer. Once dialed, it spanked the Float (IMHO). All of the 29er Marathon SL's for sale (new and used) I have seen are 75mm, which makes them short on travel.

For me, I don't think I would trade my Reba on any of the above. What the Marzocchi lacks that I would not willing to give up is the compression adjustment that the Reba has. If Marzocchi built an '05-'06 29er Marathon SL with TST, ETA and all that good stuff I would buy one tommorow.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow....great feedback drunk.

this would be for a cheapie 29er for noon time rides during work on some pretty bumpy singletrack so weight does not matter. i may then get a quote with the marz fork as well.

thanks again

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
My Feb 2005 valentine to my Marz

Dear MXR Air,

It's been 2 years since we entered the bonds of wedded bliss, and bliss it has been. You and I have had plenty of ups and downs, and have traveled a rough trail for thousands of miles. Yet you have never complained, uttered a word or protest, or engaged in in loose or leaky behavior. Faithful and true, I know I can always count on you.

Sure, there was an adjustment period, and you and I had to work at it a bit. I had to get you to be a little less progressive in your thinking- typical of an air head like yourself- but you've responded well to my efforts to change your behavior, and now you and I see things eye-to-eye.

Oh sure, I know there are flashier, prettier, more sophisticated choices available. But I smile to myself every time some poor guy talks about his problems with a finicky gal by the name of Reba and White. Typical high-price, high-maintenance gals- once the thrill is worn off, you still have to live with 'em. I pity the fools when they see their alimony payments.

Some say you're a little overweight. But I don't really see how 4 lbs on the nose is a big deal. Others say you flex too much. But no one's perfect, are they? I don't care what anyone says, I think you're one great fork. The best fork I ever had.

MXR Air, will you be my Valentine?

·
Just Ride!
1,283 Posts
Just curious, do all of the Marzocchi 29er lowers have the three piece construction? I recently picked up an'02 MXR Air at a decent price, and though it has a bit of hard brake flex, it seems pretty decent overall. I guess there is also the question of, how many variations of the Marzocchi 29er fork were produced? MXR, SL, MX Comp.......

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've ridden one from 02ish and think its a nice fork, and I didn't spend a huge amount of time dialing it in. I'm not terribly picky about suspension forks though since most of my time lately has been on rigid forks.

YO MAMA

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
For me, the borderline clyde, the '02 Marathon was on the flexy side. Rubbing V pads. I liked the idea of the ECC or ETA or whatever, but never found trails (mountains) to use it on.
Note that the Marathon was 1750g ready to roll, which not bad, similar to a Reba.

·
Just Ride!
1,283 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Note that the Marathon was 1750g ready to roll, which not bad, similar to a Reba.
Is the Marathon, less ETA, the same as the MXR Air? I'm still confused over all the different models! The MXR which I have is listed at 1680 on the ww site.

I think the models are;
Marathon, air fork with ETA.
MXR Air, plain air fork, lightest.
MX Comp, coil sping fork
SL, lighter version of MX ???

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Padre said:
Don't leave out that they are the horribly flexy, have no ability to adjust spring rate, only have 2" of travel, weigh 5lbs +, and have a high AtoC height for the amount of travel they have.
Other than that, they are great.
My Momma always said "If you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

That said, my 02 MXR air is around 4lbs. Runs well, and has been reliable. No blow outs or anything. I did have to work with the oil level, but not a big deal. Although I run rigid most of the time now, I still keep it around and its a good fork.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You may be missing a model. I think the one I used and liked a bunch was a coil sprung MX Pro with air assist pre load adjustment. As for your question, the Marathons better valving/dampning than the MXR''s.

kustomz said:
Is the Marathon, less ETA, the same as the MXR Air? I'm still confused over all the different models! The MXR which I have is listed at 1680 on the ww site.

I think the models are;
Marathon, air fork with ETA.
MXR Air, plain air fork, lightest.
MX Comp, coil sping fork
SL, lighter version of MX ???

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
I rode one for about a year, 'til I ran it into a bridge! No more fork. It worked well, but back in '02 there wasn't a lot of options. While it worked okay by today's standards, there is no real comparison between it and the Reba IMO. The Marz does have the V brake option, a fact that is often forgotten in weight considerations. Like V's, Marz is a pretty alright option. I wouldn't go back after the plushness of the Reba.

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
Marathon SL

I have purchased a what I believe is an 03 Marathon SL (Yellow) with the air and ETA. I haven't yet had a chance to ride it, however, it looks pretty sweet. An oddity I did notice that with the I guess it is 3 piece design I was removing my V brake studs and it appears that they are somewhat holding the lower legs to the crown. It is a strange setup that I just decided to leave alone, weight be damed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
centerridgerider said:
I have purchased a what I believe is an 03 Marathon SL (Yellow) with the air and ETA. I haven't yet had a chance to ride it, however, it looks pretty sweet. An oddity I did notice that with the I guess it is 3 piece design I was removing my V brake studs and it appears that they are somewhat holding the lower legs to the crown. It is a strange setup that I just decided to leave alone, weight be damed.
I know someone that pulled the v brakes studs off and his lower legs came loose. It was almost a very bad situation I guess. Anyway, Marz. makes some replacement bolts that can go in there in lieu of the v brake ones. You were wise to leave 'em alone.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Check out benwitt11s' post here, a good example of why I am confused ! Nothing aginst the post folks, just trying to understand the rules=:)
? Are you referring to the gratuitous Milltown Cyclery advert? Not being a shop owner, is that against the rules here? If so, perhaps a deposit to Cloxxi's PayPal account would reconcile the problem Mendon Cycle Smith? :D

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think the MX Comp is a decent fork for the money. It's heavy, but it does the job. One thing that really bugged me though that no one ever mentions, is that the disc brake mounts angle back to the rear and cause the caliper to interfere with any roof rack I tried including the Yakima Viper with the cutout. I was running the 185 Avid BB7, so maybe it isn't a problem with a 160mm. The White Brothers BW .8 that I replaced it with doesn't have that problem - the caliper doesn't hit any roof rack at all. This is important since I don't own a car and ride with different people with different roof racks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
centerridgerider said:
If you go to a machine shop that sells hardware(nuts,bolts,screws etc.) you can get some aluminum cap screws to replace the studs.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
cgcharlie said:
If you go to a machine shop that sells hardware(nuts,bolts,screws etc.) you can get some aluminum cap screws to replace the studs.
Aluminum cap screws??? Waaay bad idea! Not that I mind if you practice such foolishness on your own ride. I'm all in favor of Darwinian behavior! But advocating the replacement of the steel studs with Al cap screws in the location we are talking about on someone's else's bike is just plain wrong.

centerridgerider: Those studs ARE holding the arch to the lower legs. Marz can sell you some correct cap screws to replace the studs. I did just that on my '04 MX Pro 105mm travel fork. The reality of that fork is that it is a noodle and difficult to adjust the pos and neg air pressures. Once you do get your pressure settings dialed, you will have a noodle with great action.

29erchico

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.