Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was reading my Marz manual because my Super T is making some weird noises on small bumps (sounds like cable slap on the frame).

Came across a "bleeding trapped air" section that stated it can impact fork performance.
They showed an air cap (on a dual crown fork drawing) and was wondering if this could be my problem.

I also remember some of you stating that Marz will send the air caps for free.

1. Is this something that can happen to the 04 Super T?
2. Are air caps necessary in both fork legs? or just the one without the rebound adjustment?

3.How often do you guys pop the dust seals on the fork and re-lube?

Just trying to figure out why this noise has appeared all of a sudden.

Thanks for comments.....

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Last weekend at the Sea Otter Marzocchi "burped" my friends 888 and suddenly it felt much better. Not sure how or why but I guess it's possible for a fork to trap air.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,977 Posts
freeriderB said:
.....1. Is this something that can happen to the 04 Super T?
2. Are air caps necessary in both fork legs? or just the one without the rebound adjustment?

3.How often do you guys pop the dust seals on the fork and re-lube?..........
yes...

not necessary in either leg... air caps are for air preload....

never, that's what the oil inside the fork is for....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please help me determine what this noise is...

rode yesterday, and I can pin point the noise from the left leg (non rebound leg). I believe this is the SSV catridge?

So, when I take the top cap off the left leg (seated on the bike) , there is:

a black tube like "spacer"
a thin aluminum washer
my first coil spring
another aluminum washer
2nd coil spring

I did not take the 2nd coil out, but need to know... what is located under the 2nd coil?
It has to be some kind of damping unit right?

Is it supposed to be secured to the fork leg? Because whatever it is, it is sounding like pieces of plastic slapping together (even when I just pick the front up on the driveway).

Is it possible that I cracked some internal piece and it is just "floating" in the fork?

I cannot find a detailed diagram of the 04 Super T showing EXACTLY what is in each leg.

The manual does not show the internals, nor does the Marz website.

Anyone have a link for the internal components of the 04 Super T?

PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS NOISE! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

.WestCoastHucker. said:
yes...

not necessary in either leg... air caps are for air preload....

never, that's what the oil inside the fork is for....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
freeriderB said:
Anyone have a link for the internal components of the 04 Super T?

PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS NOISE! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!
below is the SSV damper unit (its a pumping rod, not a cartridge), this is everything below your springs, and its bolted in via the foot nuts. Remove the foot nut to lift out the stanchion, and the damper valving is held in with a c-clip...very straight foward, just dig in.

Although i belive that the noise is probably comming from the dual spring setup, where the aluminum washer between them is knocking the stanchion walls. You might need to find a way to keep the springs properly aligned.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
identifying the noise in my Super T...

zedro said:
below is the SSV damper unit (its a pumping rod, not a cartridge), this is everything below your springs, and its bolted in via the foot nuts. Remove the foot nut to lift out the stanchion, and the damper valving is held in with a c-clip...very straight foward, just dig in.

Although i belive that the noise is probably comming from the dual spring setup, where the aluminum washer between them is knocking the stanchion walls. You might need to find a way to keep the springs properly aligned.

Yes! It does sound like the washer (or somehting else for that matter) is hitting the stanchion walls.
The issue is....why did it just start doing it 2 weeks ago? The fork has been flawless for 4 months.

Is it possible that the washers just became mis-aligned?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
parts under the oil..

I'm assuming everything in your photo is submerged under oil (since I removed both coils a little while ago). Do all those parts need to be removed from the bottom of the leg?

After the 2nd coil, all I could see was oil.

You mentioned a clip holding the damping unit in place. Is it possible for that clip to loosen (or break)? Perhaps the parts submerged under the oil are not secured?

The washers and coils were put back and everything looked good. So whatever is making the noise is under the oil.

zedro said:
yup. You should be doing an oil change and cleaning anyways, so time to tear down the fork.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
freeriderB said:
I'm assuming everything in your photo is submerged under oil (since I removed both coils a little while ago). Do all those parts need to be removed from the bottom of the leg?

After the 2nd coil, all I could see was oil.

You mentioned a clip holding the damping unit in place. Is it possible for that clip to loosen (or break)? Perhaps the parts submerged under the oil are not secured?

The washers and coils were put back and everything looked good. So whatever is making the noise is under the oil.
you need to pull the stanchion out by removing the footnut (15mm socket). From there you'll see exactly whats going on.

You should be doing this anyways, its good the change the oil and wipe down the seals every few months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.