Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a lucky owner of a new All mountain SL1, didn't ride too much yet but I'm totally happy with it (way better then my old All mountain 1 '05) except one small thing:
the fork dives in by itself during riding, especially if droping or going on rough trails!
like the ATA knob is literally turning by itself and the fork travel gets less.
after a rough 5 min descent I have at least 2-3 cm less travel. if I turn the knob back up, I get the full hub again but it's still not nice having to screw all the time!
I'd apreciate it if any other marz owners with ATA would share their opinion about it!
Thanks Dan

·
Registered
782 Posts
The link is broken.

Is it to tighten the hex screws on the ATA plug? I know that if I tighten them all the way then make the ATA locked. The ATA dial makes clicks when you turn it, that is because there are shaved dents on the top of the shaft and two bearings on the each side with the springs go in there everytime you turn the dial. If you tighten the hex screw all the way at where bearings fall into then it won't give enough space on the spring so the dial won't turn but also, you won't be able to change the travel. I guess you have to find the best amount to tighten the hex screws for the best result and probably putting the locktite to the screws is necessary.

Sorry for my poor english in the explanation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Possible solution to your ATA issues. I'm not an expert or developer of the new Marzocchi air system w/ATA feature. This is just my own experience previous owner of '04 Marz Z150 SL (1year to breakin) and a satified new owner of 2007 Marzocchi 66 SL 1 w/ATA & RC features (breakin adjustments is 50% of the manual recommendations). From reading all of the feedback/threads we can all agree the Marzocchi manual and website is not very helpful for breakin adjustments or understanding how to trouble shoot minor issues.

If you read the manual settings between the lines you may understand how the new Marzocchi air system is design this will be based on your weight and "preferrence". You'll need to remember basic math and science- high and low pressures. I'm not sure what all of the features are on your All mountain SL but should be close to my 2007 66 SL1.

In the manual the recommended air pressure setting in the bottom left fork, about 30psi more difference from top left fork air pressure adjustment. Because of the difference the two chambers will try to equallize itself. The manual recommends in the top right fork air pressure to be about 30psi (+ or - 10 psi on your preferrence of ride) having this pressure on the right side should help prevent your fork from loosing travel. Keep it simple just rember the total air pressures (psi/bar) on the bottom left fork adjustment should be equal to or close to both the top right and left air pressures adjustments.

These settings has worked on my new 2007 Marzocchi 66 SL 1, I hope this is helpful and resolves your lost of travel from the ATA feature. If this does not resolve your issues I would recommend a professional or sending back to Marzocchi to evaluate if there is a defect in the fork.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI and thanks for the feedback! I'm afraid this is not about the settings, but you're right concerning the fact tha tha two air chambers will equalize themselfs (I didn' find this normal, then there' only one way of setting it..)
I sent my fork back and the technician didn't seem to be surprized, he what's it all about, so I'm curious if the air chambers thing will be the same when I'll gete it back!
Greets Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.