Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have an 08 marz ata2 fork (no par chamber) and it never seems to extend fully once pressurised, which means I only have about 130mm instead of 140mm travel. I can only equate this to the negative chamber, once equalized, not allowing the fork to fully rest against the top-out bumper (with no air at all in the system I get full extension). I thought I read a while back about others with similar issues and possible solutions, but I haven't been able to find them yet. Anyone out there who knows their suspension got any suggestions? I would really like to solve this issue without having to fork out (pun intended) for a whole new front end. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you can put in the 07 top out bumper if they have them avaliable or i can give you one of mine. It is a large bumper so it takes up more of the neg chamber volumn so the neg spring isnt as strong so the fork sits all the way up.

However after riding my 07 then going to an 08 on a different bike I put the 08 o-ring kit with the smaller top out o-ring in my 07 and all others I know with 07's cause the ride of the 08 is much more compliant to small bump traction. 07 wasn't bad but it is noticable that the 08 is better me and all others agreed and all it is is a simple top out replacement.

So in my opinion I would leave it with the extra neg travel and better ride but you can try the 07 bumper for yourself and then decide.

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jesse Hill said:
you can put in the 07 top out bumper if they have them avaliable or i can give you one of mine. It is a large bumper so it takes up more of the neg chamber volumn so the neg spring isnt as strong so the fork sits all the way up.

However after riding my 07 then going to an 08 on a different bike I put the 08 o-ring kit with the smaller top out o-ring in my 07 and all others I know with 07's cause the ride of the 08 is much more compliant to small bump traction. 07 wasn't bad but it is noticable that the 08 is better me and all others agreed and all it is is a simple top out replacement.

So in my opinion I would leave it with the extra neg travel and better ride but you can try the 07 bumper for yourself and then decide.
Thanks Jesse. The top out bumper I have is about 7-8mm tall, is slightly trapezoidal and has a noticeably smaller OD than the glide ring; I can only assume it is the 08 model as it is stock. I guess I am happy with the way the fork rides, I was just hoping I could get the same ride plus the extra 10mm of missing travel; maybe it is not possible. I also thought of filling in the dimple that equalises the two air chambers and moving it higher up the tube (using JB weld and a dremel) but I guess this is fairly extreme as far as mods go.
On a different note, do you know of anyone who has tried sanding their stanchion tubes with extra fine (c 2000 grade) wet and dry to make the texture more like Fox/Rockshox? I thought this might help to achieve better small bump compliance as the seals/wipers won't be able to form a suction on the not-quite-gloss surface. Would be keen to hear your thoughts on this one. Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
actually that is weird it sounds like you have the tall bumper that I was reffering too. The replacement is just a thick o-ring but still smaller than that formed bumper.

I would get a new o-ring kit complete with the new top out "O-ring" then see how your small bump compliance is. I dont think I would recommend doing anything to the stanchions, Marz stanchions and seals are known to last forever so I really wouldnt do anything to ruin that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.