Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a good look around here and elsewhere and it seems I'm not the only one to experience hard top out clunk on a new 66 RC3.

I've managed to tune out some of it but turning the rebound nearly all the way, but when the fork fully extends on a step or jump or even over rolling terrain it still tops out with a loud clunk, which can be felt through the handlebars.

I've seen some advice suggesting adding oil to the RC3 side - I've added 10cc and this had made no difference (and getting the air valve out to add oil is not the easiest of tasks !).

Had anyone got a definitive solution to this one or is this something I'm just going to have to live with (though I never had it with BoXXers or my old Junior T) ?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
i have it way gnarlier with my old jr t. every time it rebounds BAM.

with the rc3, wasn't a problem for me until i sent it back to marz. Now, if my bike is ever upside down for awhile, it'll top out pretty bad. I have to slow down the suspension, cycle it for a minute or two (and allow for top outs by wheeling etc) then return the rebound to as fast as it goes

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If it´s too little oil, there should also be hickups in the compression circuit.

Maybe they forgot the Topout spring?

Don´t know about newer Marzocchis, but the High-end ones always had topout springs or something else to prevent the "clong".

Greetinsg zNarf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forget the top out springs...
I sincerely hope not ! :eek:
From what I've managed to find through Google this top out business is not unheard of and no one has mentioned having found that springs were missing so I'm still hoping it a set up/break-in thing........... :skep:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Advice back from Mazocchi is that a clip may have come off internally at the bottom of the right leg while the fork was being shipped....

Anyone tried disassembling a 66 ?
I have an exploded diagram from Marzocchi, which is a start at least. But it looks like a major job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.