Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry aboutthe rubbish cameraphone pic - quick question on my 66 - my QR lever originally tightened so that it was parallel with the forks, pointing upwards, now it points downwards when tightened fully - I havent (knowingly) changed anything, and the threads are clean and free of grit.

What causes this? Can it be fixed?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
You need quite a lot of force - relative, of course, to how strong you are!! It will click, you just need to pile on the pressure. I actually find it easier to flip the bike upside down so that I can apply pressure down-over with my palm and eliminate the probability of jamming my fingers between the QR and the fork. The QR has to click, though, otherwise it's not tightened properly. Greasing the 'o' ring on the QR will make the job easier and also help prevent it from working loose.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The video explains it perfectly, although that guy seems to hit his first click a lot easier than my fork ever has!

The 'o' ring is on the axle itself, at the point where the axle mates up to the axle hole on the fork leg....

Bicycle Wheel Crankset Bicycle frame Bicycle hub

Just flip your bike and back the axle out of the fork, it'll be entirely obvious.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, appeciate the help Steve.

I've sheared too enough bolts and crossed enough threads to make me wary of applying too much force to these things.....will grease it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.