Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Carb free mofo
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting myself an sx trail FSR 1 2008, which comes equipped with the marzocchi 55 TST 2 fork. Now I'm getting this primarily because I've had a full on DH bike (ECD) and a 5 inch bike (Dawg Deluxe), so I fancy a FR rig inbetween. I will be at uni for the next 5 years; so I want a decent frame, that will pedal up (sort of) and that will last a few years before I have to replace it.

Now the stock parts on the sx trail are obviously going to get busted and replaced after a while, so I'm not too bothered about that. However, I am worried about the 55 and whether it will be able to cope with downhill / fr.

I have read that you can mod the fork, but I'm not too happy fannying about doing that, as I've got essays to write (which is what I should be doing now!).

So, opinions, thoughts, hypothetical situations?

Cheers

*mar

G

·
08 55's were pretty much poop no matter what model. I saw numerous 55r's that the cartridge's broke in them and Marzocchi's solution was to drill holes in the sealed cartridge and make it open bath.

Also, the 55 TST's had a problem with the TST cartridge failing too. Just go into the suspension forum here and search for "Marzocchi 55" and you will see the list of problems.
Hopefully Marz got everything worked out for 09, but with their record in 08 I wouldn't chance it.

·
Carb free mofo
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As this would be bought online, I'm pretty worried about returns too. Reputable shop, but a pain in the arse if I have to post things back. Are there any questions you think I can ask the shop? I was thinking either a swap the fork for a domain, or getting them to give it a once over? I personally don't think that is overkill if I'm spending £1000+ on a bike.

Any other recommendations?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
08 55's were pretty much poop no matter what model. I saw numerous 55r's that the cartridge's broke in them and Marzocchi's solution was to drill holes in the sealed cartridge and make it open bath.

Also, the 55 TST's had a problem with the TST cartridge failing too. Just go into the suspension forum here and search for "Marzocchi 55" and you will see the list of problems.
Hopefully Marz got everything worked out for 09, but with their record in 08 I wouldn't chance it.
The magic 8 ball of people in the know has said "Eh, not quite".

Sad, very sad.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 2008 55 ETA with TST Micro is a joke. Its a great fork when it works the 2 runs that it has functioned properly. Currently it is at Marz getting 09 internals this is supposed to fix the problem. We will see how it performs. Currently running my 05 66 RC that has been flawless since 2005.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.