Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Boom bap ambassador
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti fork.

I noticed a small amount of oil yesterday after a ride around the compression knob.

If I slowly turn the knob (click...click...click) I get a thin sheen of oil on the knob.

marz1.jpg

I changed the oil on this fork a few weeks ago and I don't recall ever seeing oil around this area before so I'm going to assume that one of the following is likely true:

• Foot nut was loosened up during oil change
  • O-rings are shot
  • Too much oil in the damper side of the fork

Does this sound reasonable or am I missing something subtle somewhere maybe?

To change out the oil I did the following:

The exploded 44 RC3 Ti diagram that I dug up on the Internet for this fork model/year doesn't show a whole heckuva lot as far as things that can go wrong so I'm leaning toward not holding the foot nut with a socket or something while loosening/tightening the top cap is the most likely culprit.

This is my first Marz oil change and I have done a fair amount of work on Manitou and Fox forks so this isn't my first time doing something like this although Marz doesn't exactly put that procedure out in a crystal clear format that I can find.

The total amount of oil after a couple hour ride is enough to lightly coat the first joint of two or three fingers but isn't a stream or even enough to drip down in my garage to get anywhere.

Ideas, comments, or advice is welcome.

·
otb club member
2,971 Posts
You might just loosen the two opposing Allen screws on the gold knob and pull it off. Then, try and tighten the foot nut. If you are lucky (and that's what's causing the leak), the nut will tighten on the rod. If you are not lucky, the nut and rod may just spin around together (it often happens). If the entire thing spins, you will need to back out the top cap end of the damper and pull up on it while you turn the nut at the bottom.

·
Boom bap ambassador
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to tighten the nut about an 1/8 of a turn last night. Will see how things go on my next ride.

Appreciate the help.

You might just loosen the two opposing Allen screws on the gold knob and pull it off. Then, try and tighten the foot nut. If you are lucky (and that's what's causing the leak), the nut will tighten on the rod. If you are not lucky, the nut and rod may just spin around together (it often happens). If the entire thing spins, you will need to back out the top cap end of the damper and pull up on it while you turn the nut at the bottom.

·
Boom bap ambassador
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up for anyone who might find this in the future. Snugging up the foot nut on the damper was the ticket. Odd that this came loose but probably something to do with oil change versus taking the whole fork apart and pulling the damper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts