Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about the exposure on North Ridge Trail?

I am ready for something harder than the following: Catamount, Highballer, Whistlepunk, Banzai Downhill.

That said, I am a little scared of riding next to cliffs. How much exposure is there, and how steep is it? Also, can you see it coming? I might want to walk some if it is a little too sketchy...especially the first time.

I'm not scared of technical, or a fall that will bang me and bruise me... just scared of falling perilously to my doom because a shoe lace got caught in my crank at just the wrong time.

Lastly, I am aware that the climb is tough, and prepared to hike a bike some of it.

Any thoughts would be helpful...

Best.
Ben

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have only ridden Mary's a couple of times, (October, last year) and from my recollection there was little to no exposure...or at least any that could cause death. Its a fun little ride but not exactly super technical. If you climb up the road and then up east view trail there is one technical uphill part (not sure anyone could clear that climb, although I have heard otherwise) but other than that its a pretty straight forward climb to the top. The decent down NorthRidge trail is pretty fun also. nothing to death defying....(at least for this old man). Go ride it. It's fun.
I am sure Mr Maddux will chime in any minute and give you the full deets on the situation though.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Continuous sidehill exposure but no cliffs. About the same as the very last section of Banzai (BD5 aka the exit trail) just as you approach the bridge, in terms of sideslope of the mountain, but you’re higher up. Used to be a benchmark for technical challenge but a variety of trail changes both natural and from builders (the latter both sanctioned and unsanctioned) ended that over the last half-decade. Tread is on the narrow side but not as narrow as, say, Lost Creek in Oakridge. Epic views. About a 7 mile loop. Add on the North Ridge Extension for some fun and pain at the end.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
by chance did you mean Larison Creek?
Lost Creek trail, USFS #3462. Off of Sawtooth which is off of Hardesty. Drops down to the oddly paved road that takes you over to Goodman and Eagles Rest. The part I'm thinking of when I say "narrow" is right after the landing when you finish the hike-a-bikes on Sawtooth, and Hardesty Way drops down on your left.

Another iconically narrow one would be parts of Little Bunchgrass.

Marys Peak always feels wide to me after I do a weekend in Oakridge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I rode it today, and it was just what I hoped...some spots kicked my butt, but others were just right. I had to walk a handful of the most challenging root balls, but all in all it was a good ride. I had one minor fall, and with only one short section of about 20 or 30 yards, all of the exposure was within my comfort zone.

Best Wishes.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,306 Posts
Lost Creek trail, USFS #3462. Off of Sawtooth which is off of Hardesty. Drops down to the oddly paved road that takes you over to Goodman and Eagles Rest. The part I'm thinking of when I say "narrow" is right after the landing when you finish the hike-a-bikes on Sawtooth, and Hardesty Way drops down on your left.

Another iconically narrow one would be parts of Little Bunchgrass.

Marys Peak always feels wide to me after I do a weekend in Oakridge.
Gotcha. I know Lost Creek Trail well -- I live maybe 10 miles from it. Therein lies the problem: it's communication. People who don't live as close as I do to the Hardesty network consider Lost Creek Trail (as well as Lawler, Hardesty, Goodman Creek, Eagle's Rest, Eula Ridge) among Oakridge's trails.

I don't.

But I guess I should. :)
=sParty

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I agree the brand of “Oakridge” for trails spreads wider than perhaps it should. Ferinstance the town of Westfir has some kick-ass employees who happily brush out ad-hoc paths down to the river when they see grubby bikers trying to figure out a way down during MBO.

I’m not sure what else to call the region. “Middle Fork District of the Willamette National Forest” is kind of a mouthful. The Hardesty portal is about as close to Dexter and Lowell as Oakridge, but I bet if I said those town names as a suggestion of where to ride I’d get blank stares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.