Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Mary XC is sitting at my LBS because the new bike seat post 31.6mm is too small for the 32.3mm frame seat tube (calipered by the shop mechanic). A phone call was made to Haro and the rep. told the bike shop employee that Haro is providing a shim to take up the space for the oversized frame seat tube. Has anyone rec'd an XC with a 30.9mm frame seat tube like the 2007 spec sheet indicates, or did they also get a 31.6mm seat post and a shim? Should I be concerned with the shimming of the seat post?? The LBS has had my new XC bike for almost 3 weeks because the bike was received with a broken derailleur hangar, and now this seatpost sizing situation. What a way for a bike manufacturer to do business!!! For all the trouble, I hope the bike is as good as some blogs and forum writers have indicated.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Whoa there....before you flame away, allow us to at least help/explain.

First of all, yes, the Mary bikes do come with a seatpost shim. The reason for this is in order to get the tube weight down, the diameter of the tube has to be a certain size. Shimming is the only way to get a standard size seatpost to fit. Unfortunately, in the first couple runs of bikes, the factory did not install the shims into the frames and simply included them in the parts box that holds all the loose parts when bikes are shipped to a dealer. We had cases where a few dealers didn't realize the bike needed a shim and either misplaced it or threw it away. It's also possible that the shim wasn't included in the box...but hey, stuff happens. I think we've all forgotten a thing or two in our lives.

31.6 is the correct post size. 30.9 was an error in the catalog that unfortunately wasn't caught until after the catalog went to press.

I would be interested in why it's taken three weeks to get the problem taken care of...if you would like to PM me to discuss further, I'll be happy to help. Our warranty department is incredibly efficient, so I'm finding it hard to believe this would take that long. There's usually 2 sides to every story. Keep in mind with the holidays, everything takes longer for a variety of reasons.

And regarding seatpost shims, I'm sure a few others will chime in on this, but they are prefectly safe. Many manufacturers use them for the same reason we did. In fact, if they are installed correctly (on top of the seat tube and NOT on top of the collar), most people don't even know they are there unless you remove the seatpost and seat collar.

I hope that helps address some of your concerns. I'm truly sorry to hear that the bike didn't come out of the box exactly perfect (UPS ain't that gentle sometimes as your der hanger will attest to), but we'll do what we can to get it rolling quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mary XC Seatpost Shim

I really appreciate your timely reply on this matter. First of all, I do realize that the holiday mail probably had a lot to do with the untimely receipt of the derailleur hangar. However, I was standing right next to the LBS employes who called and asked for the der. hangar to be expedited via Priority Mail or some other faster means, however, it appears it was shipped regular first class and I believe it took 6 days to get it to the LBS. I was even willing to pay for the extra postage just to get the bike rideable. The situation with the seatpost shim didn't materialize until the broken derailleur hangar was replaced and the bike was readied for a test ride by the LBS employee last Sunday. I know this is not a perfect world and yes stuff does happen. I've ridden bikes with seat post shims and don't like shims because they don't normally work well with quick-release seatpost clamps, which I generally install on my mountain bikes. If I had known about the shim, I'm not sure I would have ordered the Mary XC. However, I really did like the component group spec'd on the Mary XC, which was the primary reason I ordered the bike. In the past 11 years, I have purchased no less than 10 bikes (mountain, road, and folding for my wife and I) from the LBS who ordered the Mary XC for me. This is the first time I've had something like this happen, and quite frankly, it put me aback to say the least. I really wanted the Mary XC for a ride with some friends last weekend. Also this Wednesday (tomorrow), some out-of-town friends are coming over so we can ride some sweet singletrack near my home. They were anxious to see the Mary XC as they are also interested in a 29'er. What can I say!

·
Registered
185 Posts
On the Haro side, I have not had any problems with the shim. I wouldn't even be cornerned about it. But then again, I dont use QR clamps for my seat post. However, when I first ordered my mary, I had a similar problem, a broken rear derailleur. The rep said::thumbsup: I will have another one for you in two days. But no, :nono: , it took another week or so before the part was recieved. Nonetheless, I can't say anything bad about the bike. It is the best buy for the $$ you will spend. I hope you get to ride yours soon, cuz you are going to love it.

Mi bicicleta me llava a sitios donde nada mas me puede llevar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right - the Mary XC is a great ride

Thanks for your comments. As it turns out, the shim was rec'd from Haro in 4 days and does work fine with a Salsa quick release. I use the quick release because I haul my bikes in the back of my old Nissan Pathfinder and I must remove the seatpost and saddle to get the bike to stand up in the locking fork trap. Also, Haro sent two extra deraillleur hangars which is a plus on their side. I don't often break hangars, but is nice to have some spares. As far as the bike ride is concerned, I'm hooked. I wish the bike were a little lighter, but hey, for the money I paid for a bike with a outstanding drive train and frame, I can easily overlook the weight. However, I do plan to replace the wheelset and tires at some point, once I make a decision on which wheelset is the lightest and best for my riding capabilities. I have already made a decision on the tires and they will be folding 29X2.1 Kenda Karma DTC, which is the same tire I have on my 26" hardtail mountain bike, plus on my wife's full suspension rig. These tires work great for the trails we ride. At present, I am fully convinced that a 29'er is the way to go.

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
Speaking of derailier hangers

I bought a Mary SS and I thought they were supposed to come with an extra hanger for swapping to a geared setup (I believe I read that on the website) but mine didn't. Are these availiable now? Suggestions Downhilljill?

Jeremy:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Derailleur hangar for Mary SS

Jeremy, don't think a derailleur hangar is avail for the SS version, plus you'd have to change out the rear wheel and purchase a 9-speed cassette. If I were you, I'd go to the Haro website and email the Haro tech support dept with your question. Incidentally, as I stated in my last forum message; I planned to change our the original WTB Exiwolf Race 2.3 tires for something a little lighter with a less agressive tread. I originally wanted to go with the Kenda Karma DTC folding 29" tire, but ended up purchasing a front Bontrager XR 2.25 and rear Bontrager XR 2.20. The weight stated on the tire retail sales tag indicated that the tires weighed 600 grams each, but that is incorrect and understated as usual. The front tire weighed in at 641 grams and the rear tire weighed in a 620 grams, which isn't much more, but still would be nice to buy a tire that truly weighed the manufacturer's stated weight. I've ridden the tires two times and they roll a little faster than the Exiwolf, plus I think they might corner a little better in loose dirt. Good luch with your SS derailleur question. Oh yeah, the Exiwolf tires weighed 787 grams each according to my recently calibrated gram scale.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The SS doesn't come with a rear der hanger but you can order one through your local Haro dealer. Like Jimbo said, you'll also need a new rear wheel and if you decide to run gears, you'll have to run full length housing and zip tie it to the frame since there aren't any cable stops/guides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts